1 2 3
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
5/16/22 6:39 p.m.

Did it catch your eye?  Did it run like a scalded dog?  What was it that you like about it?

For me, I've got three that I always like to see (the rare times I can see the last one.)

PT Cruiser Turbo, cause turbo.

Harlequin VWs.  Because: Just look at it!

1996 Volkswagen Golf Harlequin 5-Speed for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for  $25,500 on August 6, 2021 (Lot #52,668) | Bring a Trailer

And finally, not really meh, but still.  The rental racecar, Ford Shelby GT-350H (or more modern GT-500H)

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
5/16/22 6:45 p.m.

1980 Mexican Dodge Magnum.

300Hp 360, 4 speed, Dana 44.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
5/16/22 6:52 p.m.

In reply to Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself :

TIL

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/16/22 7:03 p.m.

89-90 McLaren Turbo Grand Prix

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress HalfDork
5/16/22 7:09 p.m.

Homologation specials are great for this. 

The 16v cosworth is a favorite. I had one as a college kid but just couldn't maintain it, and had to let it go. MB really did throw every bit of engineering they had at it, and it's sort-of-maybe finally getting some of the respect it deserves vs. the E30 M3. Pobst and Camisa did a back to back track comparison of the two recently and it was eye opening.

I've had my eye on the Integra Type R lately. There are only so many 2+2 cars out there that are reliable, sporty, and bright berkeleying yellow...too bad values are on the rise.

This 2001 Acura Integra Type R Ticks All The Right Boxes | Carscoops

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
5/16/22 7:14 p.m.

323GTX. I had one when I moved to Florida and the tin worm caught up with it. I still have all its driveline on a pallet in my shop.

Someday I'll grab another one...

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/16/22 7:15 p.m.

Oh man, so many!

The AMC designer cars (Gucci Hornet, Pierre Cardin Javelin, Oleg Cassini Matador), Cosworth Vega, SVO Mustang, Thunderbird Turbo Coupe Mach 1 (yes for real, look it up), and the SLP Firehawks are all favorites. 

The Spirit AMX with a giant flaming "AMX" on the good might have to take the cake though. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/16/22 7:17 p.m.

The Ford Aspire Sport. "Sport" meant it had a useless rear spoiler, some graphics and nothing else. It just kinda rubbed the reality of the car in your face.

I worked the used car lot at a Ford dealership around the time these were searching for second owners, and a teal Aspire Sport was my favorite parts runner because you could drive the wheels off it in traffic and nobody would ever notice because all you were doing was keeping up.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
5/16/22 7:33 p.m.

1973.Sports bug , wider rims , recaros  , leather steering wheel

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/16/22 8:18 p.m.

Mercury Marauder, a much better Grand Marquis/Crown Vic

See the source image

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/16/22 8:24 p.m.

Like I am not going to say it.

Take a boring Volvo sedan, double the power, double the drive wheels, add well-tuned active damping and mahOOsive brakes, stir in one of the nicest interiors this side of a Bentley, watch as people line up none deep to buy it...

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/16/22 9:13 p.m.
JThw8 said:

These always bugged me.  I mean, I love the Marauder and it's a great car, but it was such an also-ran.  Chevy had the Impala SS 94-96, and it took Ford almost 10 years to come up with a "me too" copy that was heavier and slower.

Which solidifies my answer.  Impala SS.  Take a 9C1 Caprice, drop it 1.25", killer wheels, leather, and some other options.  Nothing special, but yet... special.

1996 Chevrolet Impala SS auction - Cars & Bids

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/16/22 9:16 p.m.

My other fave is probably just on my mind because I'm shopping for one:  X308 Super V8/Daimler/VDP supercharged.  Take a swanky Vanden Plas and stuff it with an XJR drivetrain... then only ship about 1300 of them to the states.

The want is real.

2002 Jaguar XJ 4-Door Sedan VDP Supercharged

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
5/16/22 9:22 p.m.

Granada ESS

In high school, my friend's father had a silver four door ESS, with red interior, six cylinder and a four speed manual.

1974 Super Beetle Sun Bug

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/16/22 9:25 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The Ford Aspire Sport. "Sport" meant it had a useless rear spoiler, some graphics and nothing else. It just kinda rubbed the reality of the car in your face.

I worked the used car lot at a Ford dealership around the time these were searching for second owners, and a teal Aspire Sport was my favorite parts runner because you could drive the wheels off it in traffic and nobody would ever notice because all you were doing was keeping up.

I had a non-Sport ASSpire(automatic) for a couple years after the window pane tried to chop off my right hand. It didn't have any particular redeeming qualities, but other than a wheel bearing it was pretty damn reliable despite how bad I beat on it.

Although it was lacking in spoiler size vs. the Aspire, don't forget the Pontiac(Daewoo) LeMans. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/16/22 9:32 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Did the GSE have the twin cam engine like the Opel Kadett GSi had?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
5/16/22 9:32 p.m.

Wasn't there a 4 door fix body that was like a Mustang gt except with 4 doors?

Like a Ford Ltd lx or something?  Those seemed really cool when I learned about them.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
5/16/22 9:38 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I was just going to post about them.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
5/16/22 9:39 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:
JThw8 said:

These always bugged me.  I mean, I love the Marauder and it's a great car, but it was such an also-ran.  Chevy had the Impala SS 94-96, and it took Ford almost 10 years to come up with a "me too" copy that was heavier and slower.

I suggest finding one and driving it.  I've driven both and the Marauder is a whole lot less of a wallowing pig than an SS.  It was also much more than an appearance package car unlike the SS.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
5/16/22 9:49 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Did it catch your eye?  Did it run like a scalded dog?  What was it that you like about it?

For me, I've got three that I always like to see (the rare times I can see the last one.)

PT Cruiser Turbo, cause turbo.

Harlequin VWs.  Because: Just look at it!

1996 Volkswagen Golf Harlequin 5-Speed for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for  $25,500 on August 6, 2021 (Lot #52,668) | Bring a Trailer

And finally, not really meh, but still.  The rental racecar, Ford Shelby GT-350H (or more modern GT-500H)

There were 2 levels of PT Cruiser turbos, the regular and the one you have pictured, the PT GT.  IIRC the regular version had 180 hp & the GT had 240hp.  SWMBO had a PTGT. Same color as your picture. It had a clutch and was a fairly quick car.  I didn't drive it a often, but when I did I was well impressed.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
5/16/22 9:50 p.m.

Gucci Hornet Sportabout wagon:

Oleg Cassini Matador:

Pierre Cardin Javelin:

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
5/16/22 10:05 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Wasn't there a 4 door fix body that was like a Mustang gt except with 4 doors?

Like a Ford Ltd lx or something?  Those seemed really cool when I learned about them.

Ford Fairmont, Mercury Zephyr, both Fox platforms and both available as a two or four door as far as I can remember. 

I do remember a Reader's Rides section where some guy took a four door, stuck a Mustang nose on it and then did all the typical Fox body tricks to it.  Said he got a lot of looks of confusion. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
5/16/22 10:10 p.m.

The ultimate MEH car - the Toyota Camry.

Some love it, some say that it's a bolt on package and nothing more. The Camry TRD

Trent
Trent PowerDork
5/16/22 10:35 p.m.

Ahem.....

j_tso
j_tso HalfDork
5/16/22 10:41 p.m.

GR Yaris.  The Yaris in WRC was already pretty crazy, then they made a production car for new homologation rules.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I was going to say the same. I wonder how many Camry TRD buyers did it for the lols.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lF99bwecEVBl27ahO1CUDGGpMuJDCHmk0Ju2dO2WuAIogIiPC5bH2ipOWwikIbY9