1 2 3
stroker
stroker UberDork
5/21/21 9:08 p.m.

and why you like them, if you care to share.

Go.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/22/21 12:15 a.m.

The A-Team, Magnum  P.I., and Miami  Vice.  Because it was the 80s, I was a kid, we had one TV, and that's what the old man wanted to watch. 

Watching them as an adult, they hold up. Not perfect,  but I still enjoy them.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
5/22/21 1:05 a.m.

Bones was good till they hooked up

NCIS was good till everyone got reassigned.

Criminal Minds is ok.

I wish they had kept going with Mindhunter, and I wish they hadn't dropped the ball so hard on HBO's True Detectives.  First season of TD was so damned good.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
5/22/21 5:46 a.m.

I liked the Amazon show Bosch up until the daughter was introduced and it became obvious that she would be kidnapped by a bad guy.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/22/21 6:03 a.m.

Hill Street Blues. Innovative in so many ways, the show was said to have permanently changed television.  

As a simple example, they were the first to have someone walk through the foreground while filming a scene. 

The Sherlock Holmes series with Benedict Cumberbatch. Amazing character development, including making the women characters important and interesting. Very creative plots. Superb acting, writing and cinematography. Watched it twice back to back. 

Rockford, because James Garner, and the down to earth ordinary guy that he portrayed. 

Currently, waiting for the next season of Lupen. French crime show on Netflix. Don't don't have time to elaborate, catch the trailer. Highly recommend. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/22/21 6:11 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I really liked Sherlock but it would have benefited greatly by having the plots be 15% less complicated. By 45 minutes into each hour I had given up trying to follow them.  I agree about the female characters, plus I enjoy both Cumberbatch and Freeman.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/22/21 6:20 a.m.

The Wire, because it's berkeleying amazing. Instead of a new crime every week, I liked the season long format, and the approach it took to show the games on all sides.

Does Breaking Bad count as a crime show? Because for a cable show, it was pretty Damn great. Not believable in the least, but very well written and put together.

Any show or documentary series about serial killers, with a special nod to those about Ed Gein or Charley Manson. Surely that counts?

All the alphabet soup cop shows seem to be the same to me. Currently being forced to sit through an NCIS binge, and there's like 4 original episodes, the rest of the series is just telling the stories again with different names. I liked it ok when it was newly syndicated, but at this point I'm over it. 

jamscal
jamscal Dork
5/22/21 6:48 a.m.

Monk is a good one. I didn't watch when it was on network tv but it's very funny.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/22/21 7:13 a.m.

BBC Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwick.  Even now, that is who I picture when I think if Holmes.  Also, completely true to the books.  Both Sherlock and Elementary get an honorable mention, although they both kinda move into near mystical abilities for Holmes.  Enola Holmes is well worth watching on Netflix, too.

Hill Street Blues was a never miss when it was new.  Interesting camera work, character development, story lines... a compelling show, and new as hell when it was made.

The original CSI, after it found its way, and before it got ridiculous with the super powers in the DNA lab and logical leaps.  The seasons with Lawrence Fishburn were great.  Couldn't watch Miami because of the redhead guy, New York was OK except for the Margaret Houlihan level of makeup on the women in the lab coats.

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/22/21 7:21 a.m.

Search. The best series from the early 70s that nobody ever heard of. It was about a San Francisco based private security firm that had most of it's capers in Europe and the cars were incredible. The main characters drove a 450SL, a C3 Corvette and a Jensen Interceptor. There were Lotuses, Citroen SMs and all sorts of Mercedes Benzes driven by the bad guys. Kind of like the James Bond movies of the same era. Several episodes involved sports car racing. I watched it as a kid but nobody I know has ever seen it.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7vw5bo

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
5/22/21 7:42 a.m.

Sopranos. It's the only TV show that I ever planned my schedule around

There was a short period of time when I was domesticated. During that time we watched the original Law and order and it was usually prety good. 

I grew up in the 70's so Rockford files, naturally. It's still a pretty solid show, and I still enjoy watching it today.

Hawaii 5-0 is on our local vintage channel now. We record it and watch it in the evenings. It's so bad it's fun to watch. A lot of old cop shows don't age well.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/22/21 8:11 a.m.

Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo, and...

Scooby Doo

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/22/21 8:16 a.m.
RevRico said:

The Wire, because it's berkeleying amazing. Instead of a new crime every week, I liked the season long format, and the approach it took to show the games on all sides.

Does Breaking Bad count as a crime show? Because for a cable show, it was pretty Damn great. Not believable in the least, but very well written and put together.

Any show or documentary series about serial killers, with a special nod to those about Ed Gein or Charley Manson. Surely that counts?

Yup. In seriousness, I would probably go with The Wire, Breaking Bad, and Mindhunter. They really need to do a third season of Mindhunter.

If you're not familiar, it's loosely based off the true story of the start of the FBI's Behavioral Science Unit - the criminal profilers who studied and caught serial killers. The main character is based off the same guy who was the inspiration for Clarisse Starling's boss in Silence of the Lambs. Ed Kemper is a recurring character and that actor is frightfully spot-on.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/22/21 8:42 a.m.

I like Bosch (the final season is due out in a couple weeks) but honestly prefer the books over the TV show.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/22/21 8:52 a.m.

Breaking Bad
Miami Vice
Weeds

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/22/21 10:39 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

Weeds got good reviews. I watch very little television, but I'll have to keep that in mind. 

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
5/22/21 11:32 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo, and...

Scooby Doo

Yes! That is exactly what I came here to say. yes

On a more serious note, huge fan of Mindhunter season 1. 2 was disappointing and predictable for me. Hoping they will at least finish the series with season 3 focusing on the BTK killer. At this time Netflix has said no more. We'll see. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/22/21 11:42 a.m.

Some of the British ones are good, Vera for example; but sometimes I know they're speaking English but I just can't follow.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
5/22/21 12:02 p.m.

Child of the 80s here, so I really liked Magnum and Simon & Simon (Thursday nights).  Later, Nash Bridges. 

Also a big Sopranos fan, but that's not where my brain went when I read the thread title.

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
5/22/21 1:20 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

The first 4 seasons were really entertaining. The second 4 seasons took a really weird turn. Worth watching once, but when I watch it more I just stop at the end of season 4. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/22/21 3:43 p.m.

I enjoyed Weeds, similar to how I enjoyed Dexter.  Don't look for the reality or errors and just accept the premise for some mindless entertainment.  

I like Californication in the same way but that show has no police/crime element unless you include the unintended sleeping with a 17 year old.

EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter)
EastCoastMojo (Forum Supporter) Mod Squad
5/22/21 4:14 p.m.

The Wire, Breaking Bad and Narcos.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) UberDork
5/22/21 4:19 p.m.

Sherlock (Cumberbatch), Luther (Idris Elba), the Wire. Because BBC has drama down pat and clever as hell, and Idris Elba rules/the Wire is simply clever as hell. Clever as hell. (I realized I sounded like an idiot there, and decided to steer into the skid)

Honourable mention: Wallander (more BBC) I also hear Killing Eve is excellent.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/22/21 5:42 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Child of the 80s here, so I really liked Magnum and Simon & Simon (Thursday nights).  Later, Nash Bridges. 

One of the vintage TV channels here regularly runs Magnum P.I. shows.  I had forgotten how short his shorts were.  smiley

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
5/22/21 6:45 p.m.

Burn Notice and White Collar (if those count)

The Black list.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tK7tuiPdIeY3KVC9D40eI84GrW1B1cKELCS2odJTznBO1sKCDsYUSTvAqkwbK9Q6