1 2 3 4
Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
9/20/19 12:49 p.m.
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:
bobzilla said:

I seen their bad.

:Shudder: crying

The "seen" thing started happening in Oregon about a decade ago and has reached epidemic proportions. Out of the blue my parents started saying "we seen" about 4 years ago. I have no idea where it came from.

It came from the south. Really its not wrong, its just dropping the implied "have" right before it. I have seen the light vs I seen the light. but that whole thing (is it called past participle?) could be simplified to: I saw the light. 

Edit with PNW question - do you hear people hella seen anything yet?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
9/20/19 1:04 p.m.

Yu just not woke, need to be learned about seen.

Excuse me, I need to go do more adulting.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/20/19 1:24 p.m.

I never correct others in a thread unless they have just used improper grammar or spelling to call someone a derogatory name that implies a lack of intelligence or education.  As in: "Your a moron"  I love correcting them.

Myself? No diploma, no college, just a GED and a desire to do things correctly.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/20/19 2:07 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

Personally, when I get done with a post, it's not uncommon for me to immediately reopen it to edit it for grammar or punctuation.

And while we're on the subject, that is one of the observations that I have made about the magazine. The editing is really good. 

+1. I try to present proper english with punctuation and all that. But sometimes my fingers get behind my mind (or vice versa) and stuff just gets out there. Then there's posting from the phone.... jeebus that is almost the most infuriating thing I force myself to do. Daily. 

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
9/20/19 2:17 p.m.
Robbie said:
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:
bobzilla said:

I seen their bad.

:Shudder: crying

The "seen" thing started happening in Oregon about a decade ago and has reached epidemic proportions. Out of the blue my parents started saying "we seen" about 4 years ago. I have no idea where it came from.

It came from the south. Really its not wrong, its just dropping the implied "have" right before it. I have seen the light vs I seen the light. but that whole thing (is it called past participle?) could be simplified to: I saw the light. 

Edit with PNW question - do you hear people hella seen anything yet?

Hella made its way up from California in the early 80's. "Hella seen" is thus far, not happening here to my knowledge.

The most common way I hear seen is "Guess who we seen yesterday?" or "The other day at the store we seen a sale on..." The "have seen" rule doesn't seem to work there. Just replacing saw. It makes me wince every time.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
9/20/19 2:26 p.m.
bobzilla said:
Justjim75 said:

I have enjoyed the comments, keep them coming.  I think this is the most replies of any thread I've started here.  It's keeping me on my toes about spelling and punctuation, because I know you all would just hate to catch me making a mistake.  Am I really a Nazi though if I'm correct?

The Nazi's were right on a few things too. Just saying.... ewe may not literally be hitler, but your're literally hitler. 

They had snappy uniforms and some cool airplanes,.

hobiercr
hobiercr SuperDork
9/20/19 2:30 p.m.

In reply to JamesMcD :

and those HIGHWAYS!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
9/20/19 3:14 p.m.

It physically hurts me to read this thread.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/20/19 3:19 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

Your welcome

CJ
CJ HalfDork
9/20/19 3:25 p.m.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
9/20/19 6:21 p.m.

The one that prolly bothers me more than bumbers, or breaks...... is prolly.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
9/20/19 6:30 p.m.

My dictionary needs replaced.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/20/19 7:40 p.m.

Youze guys are trouble.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
9/20/19 7:42 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Youze guys are trouble.

Yinz guys. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/20/19 8:08 p.m.

What about when people sale stuff on CL? Or when they say, up for sell? 

The question seems to be weather pour grammer is more worser than none grammer. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/20/19 8:24 p.m.

As long as nobody says I feel like, when they really mean I think, I should be OK.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/20/19 9:40 p.m.
j_tso said:

This place is Grammar Poland.

I prefer to be Grammar Switzerland. Not that any of my Grandparents came from there.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
9/20/19 10:11 p.m.

I once dated an English teacher, who suggested she would get me a workbook to study. 

I didn't hear any more about that after I mentioned to her father that she was, "going to learn me to talk more better English."

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
9/20/19 11:24 p.m.

The Oxford comma still has a place.  Without it, the last two items in a list become a pair.

Bob, Tom, and Harry are three people.

Bob, Tom and Harry are one guy and a couple.

lateapexer
lateapexer Reader
9/21/19 4:59 a.m.

For some of us a grammar is a tool to describe a language, not a tool to prescribe a language.

Adrift
Adrift Reader
9/21/19 7:24 a.m.

I will work to insure my grammar is correct.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/21/19 7:31 a.m.

Merriam-Webster added "dad joke" to the dictionary this year.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/21/19 9:18 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Not sure what happens on other platforms, but 90% of the time on an iPhone, the auto correct changes my correctly spelled “you’re” to “your”. 

It drives me nuts, and I find myself going back to things I’ve written to correct the auto correct. Sometimes I miss them. But I don’t do it because I am stupid. I do it because there is a stupid machine that has been programmed to think it is smarter than me. 

Wally
Wally MegaDork
9/21/19 9:49 a.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/21/19 9:56 a.m.

In reply to Crxpilot :

The first one was how i was taught to do it.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JZ5Ft5netGsGlhMUG27D3E1KOzCWztUkCiVYCGz7pQkYI9ry8Q0d6q3b6ndFBFkL