Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/13/18 6:07 p.m.

The biggest problem with an Exocet is that it looks a little, well, rudimentary. Imagine if it had a sexy sister.

Oooooooo.

Not only does it look great, it will keep gravel out of your pants, bugs out of your face and it even generates downforce at speed. It probably doesn't even repel your preferred gender. What's not to love? 

Well, our insurance company has discovered we build kit cars, and that gave them a corporate stroke. So we're not allowed to build kit cars anymore unless we fill a shipping container with dollar bills and send it to the good folks at Dewey, Scruya and Howe. This means we're selling our shop Catfish, called Whiskers.

Now the official boring description:

It was built out of a 2004 donor with approximately 120,000 miles. The engine was completely serviced with all new seals and belts before being installed. Naturally we also installed an FM II turbo system with a Hydra ECU along with a series of cooling and fuel upgrades. The suspension is our V-Maxx XXTreme Sport with a front sway bar and a four-wheel Little Big Brake Kit to give a solid pedal and light weight. The overall weight is 1750 lbs with approximately 220 rear wheel horsepower. 

The body is coated in Lexus Ultrasonic Blue paint, which is stunning under any light. The frame is hand-painted and we'll admit it's not a great job, but it's only visible when you're underneath the car or underhood. The car comes with two hoods - one fitted with aeroscreens and another with a full-width windshield. The interior is quite simple with two Sparco seats and suede-covered panels, and there is a rear camera to supplement the two side mirrors. It's also surprisingly roomy inside. Please note that the Catfish has no provisions for a top, doors or trunk - it's a pure roadster.

The car is not currently registered. We can offer it either with the proper paperwork for a first-time registration (MSO, receipts for the powertrain, etc) or we can have it registered here in Colorado first. The build was completed in 2014 and has only seen occasional promotional use since then. It has been driven enough to be debugged and that's about it. Yes, it can be registered in California even with the turbocharged powerplant.

Parts list:

2004 VVT 1.8 engine with a 5-speed transmission
FM II Hydra turbosystem with GT2560 turbo
Hard lines for oil and water
FM Big Fuel kit
Level 1 Happy Meal
Crossflow radiator with Stage 2 airflow kit

Four wheel Little Big Brake kit in red
V-Maxx XXtreme Sport coilovers
FM front sway bar
17x9 Tungsten 6UL tires with 245/40-17 BFG Rival tires (yes, they're huge but they look awesome)

Sparco Sprint seats with Planted brackets and Sparco sliders
G-Force harnesses
MOMO Prototipo wheel on a quick release
rear camera

We built a similar car for a customer a few years ago and it cost over $50,000. The asking price for Whiskers is $29,995.
The car is currently at our headquarters in Palisade, CO. The car is can be legally registered in California. Please contact Keith at 970 464 5600 or keith@flyinmiata.com to discuss.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
11/13/18 6:56 p.m.

TG I don't have room for her. I was eying that up when I picked up Betty. It just looked like too much fun.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
11/15/18 10:01 p.m.

I absolutely LOVE that now you see it, now you don't, now you see it side exhaust. Is the hidden part to keep your legs from getting burned? It looks like it might be placed right for that. 
any more pics? I want to drool a little more.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/15/18 10:55 p.m.

I'll put up a few more tomorrow. There's a full build diary, but it the looks really gel until the windshield went on and we bolted on a set of 17" wheels. It has way more tire than is strictly necessary but who's going to complain?

I think the exhaust placement is mostly for style. With no doors, you'll never get your legs all that close to the exhaust anyhow. But boy, does it work for style.

Fun fact: the entire side is one panel. We refer to it as a "fillet".

Another fun fact: The wheel/tire package is the exact one that was on the Koni stand at the 2015 SEMA show. Not a package like it, these actual wheels have seen the glory of SEMA.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
11/16/18 5:38 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Looking at the side pic of the Catfish, I think you guys influenced the side-profile view of the ND. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/19/18 4:34 p.m.

The Catfish is sold! Or, at least, I have a deposit. 

I still owe you guys some pictures just for entertainment value.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
25WVTaqdq7QuxjYLYggKLnV9xnUZ97j6EDYTIU8IVK29L6M01gzEc3Hhg9pJGU2j