Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
6/13/18 2:09 a.m.

It was even Challenge priced for a few days.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-u-s-legends-inc-concord-n-c-crawdini-sports-racer-competition-car/

Assuming it's no longer legal to race anywhere as a 'Thunder Roadster', it might be a good candidate for a modern liter-bike swap too...And perhaps street registration. devil

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
6/15/18 1:50 p.m.

Just checked in on the auction - about 2 1/2 hours to go and it's still under $5K.  Seems like a steal for somebody with a trailer and tow vehicle.  (I.e. - not me)

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/15/18 3:36 p.m.

Wow, what a cool project!

B13Birk
B13Birk Reader
6/15/18 5:06 p.m.

Words cannot describe how much I want this lol I love thunder roadsters and this one is easily 5k under what a normal roadster goes for AND this one is WAYYY cooler. 

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
6/15/18 5:40 p.m.

Final sale price was $6200.00

nickt93
nickt93 New Reader
10/3/18 11:56 a.m.

Hey guys - I won the auction for this car.  I've been having a lot of fun with it; I've been to both Atlanta Motorsports Park and Road Atlanta in the past few weeks (some video below from the latter).  The sounds that it makes are just glorious - feels almost F1-esque but on a Miata budget.  I'm still learning the limits, but have been amazed at how late you can brake and how hard you can corner in this thing.  At only 1290lbs there's not much weight to throw around.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b78nrWQ6Dgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag0F2aUGwyQ

borf42
borf42 Reader
10/3/18 12:14 p.m.

That thing is so cool. Congrats on the fun purchase :)

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
10/3/18 12:48 p.m.

Congrats! That thing makes some glorious sounds!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/3/18 1:07 p.m.

That thing is super cool and sounds great.    That is a great bang for the buck.    I have always loved the early Ferraris and wanted to build a replica of one., just didn't have the follow through.   

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
10/3/18 1:48 p.m.

That was an awesome deal. Good score, glad to see it going to good use.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators Reader
10/3/18 1:58 p.m.

awesome. fun per dollar ratio, very high.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/3/18 2:34 p.m.

What an excellent little track toy. It's more Ginetta than Ferrari to me, but that's all pure 60's sports racer regardless and I'll bet the noise is just fantastic.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
10/3/18 3:34 p.m.

When you paid $6200 for your car . . . and the Porsches are giving you point bys:

nickt93
nickt93 New Reader
10/4/18 11:44 a.m.

Thanks guys!  Agreed - it would be hard to find a better track car for $6200, and even if you did it probably wouldn't look as cool!  

I forgot the best part - I converted the car to street legal and now it wears a license plate!  I've had a lot of fun logging street miles (feels a little goofy wearing a helmet on the street, but without a windshield and with a full cage it seems like the right thing to do).  I went through the Zaxby's drive thru the other day and the kid working there almost fell out of the drive thru window when he saw the car. 

I've replaced a few things on the car already and have been amazed at how cheap most parts are.  The Wilwood brake kit that INEX sells is only $389 and it takes 16lbs off of the front of the car.  Almost every attach point in the suspension and steering is heim jointed, and the replacement ends are ~$3 each.  Also tires and brakes last forever on these things due to the low curb weight.  

One thing that these cars don't have is a gas gauge.  I thought I could make it two sessions at RA between refueling, but I thought wrong!    

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/4/18 11:58 a.m.

In reply to nickt93 :

I have an unused 8 gallon fuel cell with foam and a pickup for an Electric fuel gauge complete with in tank sending unit. Really nice polished aluminum looks like Chrome. I'd let it go for $75 if you're interested. I'm in Georgia from time to time down in Plains so it wouldn't be hard to get to you. If you're interested I'll shoot you some pictures. Love your little car.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
10/4/18 1:09 p.m.

Dude, that's awesome. Glad to see you on here. I'd love to drive something like that on the street occasionally, and getting the point-by from a 911 turbo in a car that cost this little is just priceless.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
10/4/18 1:29 p.m.

Nick! Great to see you here and congratulations on picking up such a cool car! Looks and sounds awesome. 

You’ll have to share some of your many automotive exploits with the group here!

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
10/4/18 1:30 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

In reply to nickt93 :

I have an unused 8 gallon fuel cell with foam and a pickup for an Electric fuel gauge complete with in tank sending unit. Really nice polished aluminum looks like Chrome. I'd let it go for $75 if you're interested. I'm in Georgia from time to time down in Plains so it wouldn't be hard to get to you. If you're interested I'll shoot you some pictures. Love your little car.

Meet at AMP, and we’ll make it a “thing.” I’d love to see this thing in person!

nickt93
nickt93 New Reader
10/8/18 11:43 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

In reply to nickt93 :

What an incredibly kind offer!  I will message you.  Thanks!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V1mXcbIpfJITOAFNfqSq40xkXZimCg3htrx92mVzRSK3PiLgRnSSENiOfBgxbvJD