BMW_e3
BMW_e3 New Reader
5/13/18 11:44 p.m.

You know the story if you love old German cars... You buy a good one, the right on. You spend too much time and too much money getting the body work perfect. You buy parts that make no sense because you're going to keep this one forever. You love it... Until the next one comes along.

And in that spirit, here is my desperately pretty (albeit unfinished) Mercedes w108. 

The car spent its life in Dallas with the original owner until it was sold to me, by way of a broker, upon his death. As such, the car was very rust free for one of these cars. With the only problem areas being a pinhole above one of the headlight bezels, and a quarter sized hole near the trunk drain. Before I bought it, the car had recently had a new OEM fuel tank with a nice holley electric pump and regulator installed. I converted the car over to webers, and pick up a manual transmission swap (less the clutch pedal and master cylinder) that will be included with the sale. 

Electrically, the car is completely stock with the exception of a pertronix setup. And everything generally works as it should. 

As for the paint, I took most of the car down to the metal, epoxy primed everything, and reshot the car in the original 'Dunkelrot' (albeit a touch darker to account for fading), before color sanding and shooting again, then having the car professionally buffed. The chrome is in excellent shape for a Texas car, and should be considered at the top end of 'driver'. 

Mechanically, the car is very solid throughout. Unfortunately, the head gasket started leaking, and the carbs found a new home on my '73 BMW, so the car is undrivable. The cam shows no damage, and I believe the motor to be fine, I just didn't want to risk it.

As for the interior, the vynil seats are PERFECT, and a new carpet kit comes with it, though it's never been properly installed. Unfortunately, the same desert sun that saved the body, disintegrated the dash, wood trim, and window squeegees. So you should view the interior as a set of nice seats and door cards, but not much mor than that.

The car comes with many assorted records, as well as a few spares, and some books. But being it's age in Alabama, only comes with a bill of sale. Thank you for reading my sob story. This really is a great car, and I hope that it can find a good home to bring her back to her former glory. Please don't hesitate to reach out with ANY offer or trade, the worst I can say is no.

Car is located ~1.5hrs south of Atlanta in Opelika, AL 36801

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
5/14/18 8:16 a.m.

I'd love to stuff a fun engine into this... Way more than I could even consider taking on now though. 

calteg
calteg Dork
5/14/18 10:58 a.m.

Dang, was hoping this was still in Dallas

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
5/14/18 11:26 a.m.

Nice looking car!  Single stage or base/clear?  What paint line did you use?  Do you have the original carbs?  Hardtop or sunroof?

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
5/14/18 1:25 p.m.

Interior pics? Particularly the dash, wood, and rear deck shelf. Hows the headliner? Hows the vinyl headliner? 

BMW_e3
BMW_e3 New Reader
5/14/18 9:33 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

The car is PPG shopline epoxy primer and single stage. The original carbs come with the car, and I can happily recommend someone proficient in building them . And the car is a hardtop

BMW_e3
BMW_e3 New Reader
5/14/18 9:35 p.m.

In reply to yupididit

the headliner is in good shape, as are the seats. Unfortunately, there isn't a single piece of wood that didn't disentegrate in the sun . The frame of the dash is fine, but the wood and vynil should be viewed as missing. 

BMW_e3
BMW_e3 New Reader
5/14/18 9:36 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

It's not THAT far

BMW_e3
BMW_e3 New Reader
5/16/18 2:44 p.m.

Just want to let y'all know that I really am interested in ANY offer, cash or otherwise. The price is about as firm as the Pillsbury dough boy's abs. 

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
5/16/18 10:56 p.m.

I'm currently working on trying to get a 300SEL project. If Jeff passes on this I might make an offer. Yes, I put you on the spot Jeff lol. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/17/18 6:55 a.m.

Except for the carbs, is it the stock engine in there?

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
5/17/18 4:49 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Lol I’m still thinking about it!  

BMW_e3
BMW_e3 New Reader
5/18/18 5:09 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Yep, everything is correct and original.

BMW_e3
BMW_e3 New Reader
5/18/18 5:12 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I almost bought a w109, but the shop i worked at did a few m127 and m129 cars, and I couldn't stomach those partsfrown

BMW_e3
BMW_e3 New Reader
5/21/18 9:12 a.m.

Found another good picture of the old girl. I know I'm all about the paint on this car, but damn it was a lot of work.

BMW_e3
BMW_e3 New Reader
6/3/18 6:16 p.m.

Had a deal fall through on the car this week and I realized I forgot to note that I'm open to trades for things besides cars as well. So if you're interested, reach out.

BMW_e3
BMW_e3 New Reader
9/9/18 9:16 p.m.

Just wanted to ket y'all know that I'm posting the car up for one more week before I rip out the 6 and throw in a v8

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
9/9/18 9:28 p.m.

Hopefully an m117 or m113 v8. Though an m104 inline 6 would be cool.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/10/18 10:12 a.m.

I don't see any engine pictures.  What webers did you put one it?   Is it currently registered and tagged for the road?  

Edit:  I just read more.  I'm guessing not tagged.   

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
9/10/18 12:35 p.m.

totally off-topic, but the shrimp and grits at Hamilton's on Magnolia in Auburn is still the best on the planet!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zITjmIF9T0XVL3n4bRmGTMeQhyyYTkARc4IEa92ZHrWJ7mmC8KhaAWA3l6z6APME