beaterku
beaterku New Reader
3/2/18 9:21 a.m.

SOLD!!  The new buyer is picking it up in a few weeks.  Thanks everyone!

For Sale: 1989 Toyota MR2 Supercharged, 135,79x miles, power windows and locks, T-tops, black cloth interior, AC (does not work, I believe it needs a re-charge), cruise control, power mirrors. Clean title.

Asking price: $6500 OBO.  My main goal is to pass this on to a fellow enthusiast, so the price is negotiable.  I am open to offers.

Photo gallery: https://photos.app.goo.gl/VXxyaNxl0YgqORAV2

About The Build Video: https://youtu.be/ax7iOTYRQJ4
Walk Around Video: https://youtu.be/lQO8enIw-do
Engine Running Video: https://youtu.be/eXbQLDhnt1E
Contact Email: mr2scforsale@gmail.com
The car is located in Kansas City

I bought this car in 2005 sight unseen from a gentleman in Perry, KS with 135,200 miles on the odometer. I had kicked around the idea of picking up a SC for many years, as my first car was a 1986 MR2. I received an email from the gentleman that had heard I was looking for an SC car. This car was local to me and I had tried to buy many years before, but just couldn't make the deal happen. When I bought the car, it had a slight rod knock. I took it to a few local Toyota meets that fall and then tore it down. 

The motor was completely disassembled to diagnose the knock. The culprit was the #2 rod bearing. The motor was cleaned up, and rebuilt by Clyde of Clyde’s Machine in Independence, MO. He came highly recommended by a few 2JZ guys who swore by him with their 1000hp builds. The engine build consists of new OEM Toyota pistons and rings (stock bore), OEM bearings, ARP bolts & studs and a balanced rotating assembly. The head was also go through by Clyde’s. T.E.D. valve springs and retainers were installed in conjunction with WEB 101 cams and Fidanza adjustable cam gears. The head was slightly massaged and ported/polished along with swirl polished valves and a 3 angle valve job. New OEM keepers and guides were installed as well. ARP head studs were also installed. No expense was spared on the long block. I wanted a bottom end that would handle anything that could be thrown at it

The transmission is stock, with an open differential and Amsoil synthetic gear lube. It does have the infamous third gear crunch if you shift it hard, although the Amsoil does help. The clutch is a Clutch Masters stage 4 sprung with a Fidanza aluminum flywheel with ARP pressure plate and flywheel bolts. A new OEM slave cylinder with Speedsource braided clutch line and brass shift cable bushings is also installed. Up front is a 1993 B&M short-throw shifter. 

An abbreviated version of the mod list (see attached image below for the complete list) includes a rebuilt stock distributor, NST SC 180mm crank pulley, NA throttle body, Denso 93 turbo fuel pump, custom supercharger inlet and outlet pipes (see pictures), TRD header and a 2½” exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler. The fuel system was upgraded as well with an Aeromotive A1000 boost reference adjustable fuel pressure regulator, -6 feed and -4 return fuel lines, flowed and cleaned stock injectors and relocated AFM to allow for a bay mounted K&N filter. For wheels, it has 949 racing 15x7.5” all around with 225/45/15 Hankook RS-2 tires. It’s a great combination. The oil pressure sensor is remote mounted above the distributor (shown in the pictures) for easy access to a turbo oil feed. Originally, I wanted to twin-charge the car, but changed directions during the build. 

The rebuild was done with all OEM Toyota parts, drive belts, gaskets, hoses, etc… About everything that could have been gone through and cleaned was done. The drivetrain is all set up for any amount of power you’d like to throw at it.

Now for some of the things that will need attention at some point. It does need some fiddling to iron out some of the quirks. With the fairly large cams, NA throttle body, new intake tract, and remote mounted idle control valve, it has a hard time coming back to idle when coming to a stop sometimes. I have not had a chance to dig in to it too much, but I suspect the SC bypass valve delete and NA throttle body are part of the problem. I have tinkered with the idle adjustment and have managed to get it to come down to idle a little easier without dying all of the time. I would image the overlap on the cams is also causing a lack in vacuum that causes the AFM to close and shot the fuel pump off. With the larger 2-1/2” intake tract, I think there might be a lack of vacuum to keep the AFM open at certain conditions. The brakes and suspension are 100% stock sans Tokico adjustable shocks all around. The paint is a little rough on the front end, especially the front air dam. I bought a Buddy Club replica front lip (included), but never painted or installed it. The rear wheel wells have the slight rust as shown in the pictures. Someone fixed some rust in the past on the driver rear quarter. There is a slight bit of rust just above the center of the windshield. The paint fade is slightly visible. It also looks like the driver’s door and quarter have been painted at some point. The driver’s front fender has been replaced by a previous owner with a used fender that is a slightly different tone of red. The passenger rear was involved in a fender bender at some point in it life (see pictures). The rear bump has some slight cracking on the paint on the passenger side. The paint is not perfect, it's a 29 year old car, but it shines up pretty nicely. Since the car was built as a track car, these never bothered me. Unfortunately, the car never made it to the track.

The interior is in great shape other than a few spots on the passengers sear and center console. It has held up great. The only interior modifications are a Clarion CD player and fuel pump relay to supply plenty of power to the 93 turbo pump.
Overall, this is a great car that I have built for road racing. Unfortunately, I switched directions and started another project. I hate to see the car go, but I feel so guilty having it sit in the garage only to be driven once a month. It needs to be passed on to a fellow enthusiast. 

Included with the car is a mountain of stock and extra parts, as well as an extensive list of pictures and documentation from the build. Also included is a folder containing all of the receipts from the build.

Photo gallery: https://photos.app.goo.gl/VXxyaNxl0YgqORAV2

Please email me at mr2scforsale@gmail.com for any further information or questions.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/2/18 9:43 a.m.

Crikey, that makes me happy. In typical fashion, if I had the money for a toy, this would be on the list. Also, given the condition, I would say that your price isn't crazy for a manual supercharged car in this shape. Good luck with your sale!

beaterku
beaterku New Reader
3/2/18 1:52 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

Thank you!

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
3/2/18 1:52 p.m.

Having just sold my '88 SC to someone here last year for around $5k (I think), you're not out of line with what looks like decent mods.  (I was afraid he was reselling it for a minute there...)

beaterku
beaterku New Reader
3/2/18 2:33 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

Thanks for the info.  I'll be honest, I don't know how much to ask.  I've asked around and had replies of 4k to 10k.  I know it is worth what someone is willing to pay.  I am extremely open to offers.  My main objective is a good home with someone who will appreciate it.  I've seem them go over 10k on BAT.  I think that's nuts.  I'd love to get that out of it, but I can't do it in good faith.  I know this car has a few issues.  I want it to be a fair deal for both parties, that's why I am trying to up front as much as possible on the problems it does have.  I want 100% transparency.  

Thanks!

Nick

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE New Reader
3/2/18 5:31 p.m.

You're still running the SC12 supercharger right? And trying to run stock ECU?

I am not familiar with WEB 101 cams in the AW11 world, but having a reputable shop doing the work will make selling this far easier than you think. That Vacuum issue should probably be asked on the MR2 forums- Yoshimitsuspeed of Matrixgarage will likely be able to point out problems as he has done some strange stuff with his SC test mule.

In all, 7K is a good price. If you can sort out that idle issue, shoot for 8.5k, since depending on the SC health you're pushing 170+ HP easily.

beaterku
beaterku New Reader
3/2/18 6:21 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Yes, it is still the stock SC12 and stock ECU.  With the mods on the car, it handles things fine.  It's on the upper limit of being effective.  Any more power and an aftermarket management system will be required.  WEB cams are good cams.  These are the largest (or they were at the time) they make.  At the time, I was a bottom of the page kind of guy.  In retrospect, a smaller cam would have been just fine.  I've actually talked with Matrix Garage about the build.  I actually tried to sell him the car last summer.

At this point, I am looking to pass the car on.  I have too many project going to try to tend to this one.  In the YouTube link above, about the build, I am driving the car.  The idle issue is not as bad as I make it out to be.  I am a perfectionist, so I tend to overthink and make it out to a bigger problem than it is.

I appreciate your information.   That is what I love about this community.  There is always someone who has great insight into things.

beaterku
beaterku New Reader
3/8/18 11:09 a.m.

Good afternoon all, the car is still available.  Like I say, I open to offers.  It's a great car that needs a tiny bit of sorting.  I've moved on to other projects and would like to clear it out and pass it on to a fellow enthusiast.  Shoot me an email at beaterku@gmail.com with any offers or questions.  

Thanks all!

beaterku
beaterku New Reader
3/15/18 8:48 a.m.

Updated the price. Let's make a deal. Summer is getting close! Perfect driving weather is heading out way.

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
3/15/18 9:53 a.m.

Sweet car!

beaterku
beaterku New Reader
3/15/18 3:34 p.m.
Jaynen said:

Sweet car!

Thank you!

christobevii3
christobevii3 New Reader
3/15/18 8:19 p.m.

Ughh I wouldn't fit into this and my wife isn't quite into autocross yet.  She's only driven one event.  I'm in OKC so makes this even more tempting but I just bought a 300d for $500. 

beaterku
beaterku New Reader
3/16/18 9:13 a.m.
christobevii3 said:

Ughh I wouldn't fit into this and my wife isn't quite into autocross yet.  She's only driven one event.  I'm in OKC so makes this even more tempting but I just bought a 300d for $500. 

You'd be surprised how roomy these interiors are.  I am 6' and have plenty of room.  This would be a great care for autocross. Everything that I modified can be taken back to stock.  All of the stock parts are included so it can compete in any class.  

christobevii3
christobevii3 New Reader
3/18/18 4:50 p.m.

How much power do you estimate this has?  My wife didn't seem to against it when I showed her the videos you had on youtube.  

beaterku
beaterku New Reader
3/18/18 7:52 p.m.
christobevii3 said:

How much power do you estimate this has?  My wife didn't seem to against it when I showed her the videos you had on youtube.  

I'm guessing, since it's never been on a dyno, somewhere in the 185hp range...  It certainly has more chooch than stock. 

-Nick  

beaterku
beaterku New Reader
4/2/18 10:37 a.m.

Good morning all, the car is still available.  Shoot me an offer if you are interested.  Looking to get it out of the garage.  Thanks!

itgogitrev
itgogitrev New Reader
5/9/18 9:01 p.m.
Jerry said:

Having just sold my '88 SC to someone here last year for around $5k (I think), you're not out of line with what looks like decent mods.  (I was afraid he was reselling it for a minute there...)

Nope, I still have it.  New wheels are happening soon tho.  

dtsloan
dtsloan
6/25/18 8:43 p.m.

Still available?

I had 3 MR2 SC when they were new. Would be interested in another.

Mods? Sounds like pulley and exhaust?

I had one with an added TRD turbo kit, supercharged and turbocharged. It was quick.

beaterku
beaterku New Reader
6/28/18 1:34 p.m.

In reply to dtsloan :

Yes, it is still available.  I was getting ready to create a new thread for it since this one had died.  I had someone interested in it and it was close but we couldn't close the deal.  

Here is a link to the photo gallery and a little write up on the build and the history of the car.   If you have any questions or would like any detailed photos or videos, please don't hesitate to post here or email me at beaterku at gmail dot com.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VXxyaNxl0YgqORAV2

-Nick

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
7/26/18 10:01 p.m.

I sent you an email

beaterku
beaterku New Reader
7/27/18 8:54 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

Replied!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
8/18/18 10:29 a.m.

It is officially coming home with me in a few weeks. Need to make some garage space first!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G6pT0M58DGXvXazTPxsgvKARLT9Qrpetlpxye0cMj79ar39ZmIdE7dmLWWgN7dxd