Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
8/31/18 7:32 p.m.

Hey folks, I've decided to sell my 2000 MR2 spyder since I can't seem to shake the corvette fever after driving an awesome C5Z at nats last year. 

This is Adam Norton's former car, so it has been around the national circuit for many years and has won multiple events, dozens of trophies (including several at nats), and has been dominate at the local events for several years. His mom bought the car brand new, he got it from her in 2003, and I bought it last fall. It currently has 147k miles on the car with 600 and an autocross on the new engine.

On to the fun stuff, the go fast goodies!

2 full sets of matching SSRs. One set is silver, the other grey with a polished lip. Silver has an old set of Rivals, grey has some worn but still fast RE71s
Sanar front bar with custom endlinks
Koni inserts
K&N filter
Custom catback exhaust
OEM front pads, Carbotech rears
949 Racing lug nuts

Since purchasing the car, I have done tons of little stuff to make the car as nice as I could, so here is all that:

New top
New bluetooth, media only radio
New delrin shift knob
New shift boot
replaced passenger side e-brake cable
New fuel pump strainer and filter

Next up is the fresh engine rebuild. I knew this car burned oil, but it got worse the more I drove it, so I couldn't have that. I rebuilt an engine I got from dculberson with ES legality in mind, so here is the list of what was done to it:

First overbore with OEM style pistons
Clevite bearings (standard sizes)
Basic valve job and shim buckets moved around to meet valve lash specs
New oil pump
New timing set including the VVT cam gear
New water pump
New PCV valve
New thermostat

It currently has a cheap header on it, but I have a new manifold/precats on the way.

It fired up on the first hit and is running great. I've changed the oil after the initial warm up and it was clean as could be, and again after 500 miles of driving with the same results. I did a local autocross this past weekend and the car performed flawlessly. 

$4,500 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/1/18 1:20 p.m.

If I didn't have the 914, I'd have this.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
9/1/18 6:37 p.m.

This car is really ridiculous.  Spool is selling it to fund an STU corvette and very likely won’t be any faster.  This thing is QUICK.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
9/1/18 8:05 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

You’re probably right, at least locally. The corvette purchase is literally just me getting a car I’ve wanted for a long time, and I’m not worried about how fast or competitive it may be. Besides, it’s time to let the world know exactly how small my hootus is. 

rocracing2004
rocracing2004
9/4/18 5:14 p.m.

I would like to get some more detail information on this car. If you can send me a email with your contact I will get back with you ASAP. 
Thanks,
robert@volx-ray.com

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
9/4/18 7:19 p.m.

In reply to rocracing2004 :

Email sent. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
9/4/18 8:56 p.m.

I like the yellow better than my silver one! Sweet car. I'm super glad the engine worked out. Good luck with the sale.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
9/21/18 10:36 a.m.

Sale pending!

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
11/10/18 6:50 p.m.

Price reduced to $6,500 for everything. 

After roughly 1,000 miles on the rebuild, I heard a rattle I didn’t like and shut the car off immediately and had it towed home. Turns out it had spun a bearing. While looking into it I found that the rod bolts are one time use, which I didn’t know at the time of the rebuild. I rolled in new rod bearings (plastigauged them to verify they were in spec) and replaced the rod bolts. So far so good with the new bearings, but the price reduction reflects my loss of confidence in it.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
2/27/19 2:40 p.m.

$4,500. Only one set of SSRs now.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
2/27/19 3:04 p.m.

omg. awesome. 

rdcyclist
rdcyclist Reader
2/27/19 5:05 p.m.

I would suggest editing the first post. I saw 9 large and immediately thought, "Well, THAT's outta my ballpark." but the pitchers sucked me in and I read to the last post. Now 4.5 large is much more doable but I'm in California AND I've got way to many cars already but at least its possible...

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
2/27/19 8:45 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

Good call. Price edited on original post. 

karplus2
karplus2 New Reader
3/2/19 10:16 a.m.

I really want this. I wish my deck wasn't falling apart and demanding replacement as soon as it warms up. SWMBO even said 'the deck can wait until next year' but she hasn't seen how badly rotten it is underneath. GLWS this is a screaming good deal!

khummel3
khummel3 New Reader
3/25/19 4:51 p.m.

Is the MR2 still available? If so, where are you located and what is the current price?

Please get back to me at; khum@crosslake.net

Thank you,

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
3/25/19 7:24 p.m.

It sold this past weekend. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
92S7wr3XJtt2IIHR652hbG09GES9F3E5pBrQmDA503TPxW1s7tkxX6d7ew6XtVQR