1 2 3
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
11/9/18 8:29 a.m.

I play bass, left-handed, but strung right-handed. 20%-25% of left-handed musicians who play left-handed(about the same number of lefties play right-handed), also play their instruments strung right-handed like me. That number is probably in the 10,000-20,000 range worldwide, if you’re counting musicians who consider bass as their primary instrument. 

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
11/9/18 8:33 a.m.

Pretty sure I'm in the 1% of people who's experience an earthquake in Kansas

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
11/9/18 10:36 a.m.

I'm in the top 1% of finding bargains.  I will research the crap out of things so that I can find a product that is just as good for a tenth the price.

Also really good at ideas that work well.  In my line of work at the theater, that is a great skill.  One of the shows we did needed an actor to projectile vomit on stage.  I came up with the idea of a Vominator machine.  It was an 18" length of 4" PVC with a cleanout threaded cap on top and a nipple.  Then a nipple in the bottom for some vinyl hose to a push-fit o-ring fitting sewn into the costume.  You fill the PVC canister with vomit.  Then I attached the top fitting to a solenoid valve coming from an air compressor offstage.  Flip a switch on the light desk, the solenoid sends air to the machine, and bingo.  I didn't need prototypes, I just knew how it would work.  I don't have the time or budget for trial and error.

The actor sat on a couch feeling ill, another actor adjusted the pillows behind her for comfort (but was actually sticking the hose in the fitting in her costume), the light board operator flipped a switch, and lovely vomit spewed from the wrist in front of her face.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
11/9/18 11:51 a.m.
dculberson said:
Floating Doc said:
wearymicrobe said:

Serious answer Ukulele. I am very very good.

I gave you a yes for the Ukulele.

Yeah! Do you have anything on YouTube, weary? I’d love to hear it. 

I play backup for a few bands when they need it. Which is funny because I am like this big healthy white guy sitting behind a bunch of native Hawaiians they find it very funny. I also used to play hula for the elderly as it is a low impact exercise that they use at the retirement centers. They gave me pizza and the old ladies pinched my ass and gave me beer and tried to set me up with the granddaughters. 

I can see if some of it is posted. I did play Violin and Cello when I was a child for a very long time and was in a few young adult symphonies but my hands got mangled up and I stopped playing in high school.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
11/9/18 12:28 p.m.

I am in the 1% for facetiousness. 

Sparkydog
Sparkydog Reader
11/9/18 12:41 p.m.

I'm in the top 1% of people who enjoy cutting up their Porsche with a sawzall.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/9/18 1:03 p.m.

I am certainly in the top 1% for DIY'ing an automatic Boxster.  That reminds me, I need to post a Q on 986forums about how to disassemble an auto shifter and center consol.  Not surprisingly every online how too is about manual cars.....

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
11/9/18 1:08 p.m.

I am certainly in the top 1% for DIY'ing an automatic Boxster.  That reminds me, I need to post a Q on 986forums about how to disassemble an auto shifter and center consol.  Not surprisingly every online how too is about manual cars.....

chandler
chandler PowerDork
11/9/18 1:28 p.m.
spitfirebill said:

I am in the 1% for facetiousness. 

feces fish?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/9/18 1:40 p.m.

Mountain bike riding.  It seems I'll ride with someone new and often find out that no matter how out of shape I am, I can still often ride trails the average rider cannot.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/9/18 2:03 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

I play bass, left-handed, but strung right-handed. 20%-25% of left-handed musicians who play left-handed(about the same number of lefties play right-handed), also play their instruments strung right-handed like me. That number is probably in the 10,000-20,000 range worldwide, if you’re counting musicians who consider bass as their primary instrument. 

My mom plays regular guitar that way.  Life-long lefty, but she didn't have a guitar when she started taking lessons and her instructor only had RH guitars.  

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
11/9/18 3:43 p.m.
kazoospec said:
Robbie said:

I'm in the top 1% for number of toes.

You know you can't just drop that out there and run away.  That said, I'm not sure I'm really calling "pics or BS". 

I'm banking on the fact that there are very likely less than 70 million people with more than 10 toes (say for example there are 100k people with more than 10). So if you have 10, then you are tied with everyone else who has 10, and that tie spot # 100,001, which is easily in the top 1%.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/9/18 3:51 p.m.

I had a cat with 22 toes.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/9/18 4:09 p.m.

For a brief time, I was the youngest person on earth. 

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
11/9/18 5:41 p.m.

30ish years ago I was a competitive swimmer.  In my best event I was top 5-7 in the USA from 1989-92, and top 25 in the world.  I reckon that would have put me at the top 1% of the top 1%.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
11/9/18 6:31 p.m.
Robbie said:
kazoospec said:
Robbie said:

I'm in the top 1% for number of toes.

You know you can't just drop that out there and run away.  That said, I'm not sure I'm really calling "pics or BS". 

I'm banking on the fact that there are very likely less than 70 million people with more than 10 toes (say for example there are 100k people with more than 10). So if you have 10, then you are tied with everyone else who has 10, and that tie spot # 100,001, which is easily in the top 1%.

My brother was born with 12 toes.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/9/18 6:32 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

If it makes people feel better, I bet most people here on the forum are actually financial/wealth 1%ers if you take a global view.  Income to be in the global 1% is only $32,500 or $770K net worth.

When I cleared $30k (the %1-er figure at the time) I felt more like I cleared a milestone than I did when I turned 18.  (Or 21 for that matter)  On the world stage, I'm a one percenter!

Still didn't mean I wasn't living paycheck to paycheck and couch surfing. 

(Last week, I was seriously contemplating buying a used Focus RS - WOW they have depreciated fast!! - because the wheels and tires for my S60R will fit it and I wouldn't need to buy another set of snow tires.  Caviar standards and Starkist budget...)

D2W
D2W HalfDork
11/9/18 6:54 p.m.

When you are considering whether or not you are in the top 1% of something that only includes people who are participating in that activity not the whole population of earth correct?

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/9/18 8:16 p.m.
FSP_ZX2 said:

30ish years ago I was a competitive swimmer.  In my best event I was top 5-7 in the USA from 1989-92, and top 25 in the world.  I reckon that would have put me at the top 1% of the top 1%.

Ha!  I forgot that one.  In the 80’s I swam competitively in high school.  Enough to be the 5th best sprinter in Kentucky (woohoo) but when I was in Saudi Arabia for Desert Storm I went to the national pool facility and according to their “leaderboard” I was the best swimmer in all disciplines across the spectrum of events.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
11/9/18 11:13 p.m.
FSP_ZX2 said:

Top 1% of 7 bil is 70 million. Top 1% of that is 700 thou. Top 1% of that is 7 thou. Top 1% of that is 70. Top 30% of that is 25. 

You were top 30 of 1 of 1 of 1 of 1 percent.

Incredible! What was your event?

Antihero
Antihero Dork
11/10/18 2:07 a.m.

Musical improv i guess if you believe some. Im not super well versed on musical theory but i have a knack for playing the right note/chord even if we are just making it up as we go. Having a good band helps this a lot

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
11/10/18 4:54 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:
dculberson said:
Floating Doc said:
wearymicrobe said:

Serious answer Ukulele. I am very very good.

I gave you a yes for the Ukulele.

Yeah! Do you have anything on YouTube, weary? I’d love to hear it. 

I play backup for a few bands when they need it. Which is funny because I am like this big healthy white guy sitting behind a bunch of native Hawaiians they find it very funny. I also used to play hula for the elderly as it is a low impact exercise that they use at the retirement centers. They gave me pizza and the old ladies pinched my ass and gave me beer and tried to set me up with the granddaughters. 

I can see if some of it is posted. I did play Violin and Cello when I was a child for a very long time and was in a few young adult symphonies but my hands got mangled up and I stopped playing in high school.  

A couple friends and I somehow nailed down a gig as the backup band for the Platters a million years ago. 3 nights at the Tallahassee fairgrounds. When we rolled up in my buddy’s malibu wagon for the first day of rehearsal, the security guys at the gate basically said “who the berkeley are you shiny happy people?” My buddy Andy, without missing a beat, says “We’re the White Platters.”

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
11/10/18 7:30 a.m.

I had a patient that was the singer for the Platters when they were on the road.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
11/10/18 8:54 a.m.
Robbie said:
FSP_ZX2 said:

Top 1% of 7 bil is 70 million. Top 1% of that is 700 thou. Top 1% of that is 7 thou. Top 1% of that is 70. Top 30% of that is 25. 

You were top 30 of 1 of 1 of 1 of 1 percent.

Incredible! What was your event?

400 Meter Freestyle; middle-distance event.  It's swimmings equivalent of the mile in track & field.  Thanks for clarifying the math! 

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
11/10/18 9:55 a.m.

I’ve got one of these in the biggest size they make, does that count? laugh

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o3cghHZ8H947vQ6kfgZxvhj0DBoAmldrDrx8e8NgvTmuCrpNTgPXD463NJW70ZYu