1 2 3 4
mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
11/16/18 11:30 a.m.

All 8 of my Miatas wore their HT all the time. I have over 800,000 miles driving Miatas, and never put the top down. I live in year round 70F with barely any humidity 

some people don’t like convertibles .... 

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
11/16/18 11:40 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Stampie :

You have radically misidentified the desirable person in this relationship. 

exactly......Mrs Deuce is the patron saint of the Grosh. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
11/16/18 4:03 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

So is Betty miss anything in the calendar or do I have to buy something to find out....wink

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/16/18 4:07 p.m.

Umm, this is awkward. We don't have a shot of her in there. The photo I would have used is the one that's on your avatar, and that was taken by a different photographer. I'll get her in there next year.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
11/16/18 4:14 p.m.

Haha. No worries. Just an excuse to come to summer camp next year so you can get more pictures for next year's calendar. 

Slammo
Slammo New Reader
11/16/18 9:27 p.m.

I'm a bit late to this thread and it seems like you have things covered, but if you find yourself in need of a road trip partner for the drive back from California, let me know.

dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
11/16/18 9:37 p.m.

So, does this mean that Seth gets his 911 back?!?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
11/16/18 9:51 p.m.
dj06482 said:

Thought it was on jackstands. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/16/18 10:01 p.m.
Slammo said:

I'm a bit late to this thread and it seems like you have things covered, but if you find yourself in need of a road trip partner for the drive back from California, let me know.

Ahem. Colorado. Which is good, because then Seth doesn’t have to drive across Nevada or Arizona. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/17/18 6:54 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
dj06482 said:

Thought it was on jackstands. 

This is true. We had a sit down this fall and prioritized the kitchen over the 911. I'll get to it. The short answer is no, I do not get the 911 back. Mrs. Deuce drives about 25k miles a year. The Volt has been amazingly practical for this and it's so good at it's job, but it's just soul sucking. There is something to be said for walking out to the parking garage at they end of the day, seeing your car in the row of appliances and saying "berk yea, I get to drive that home!" We've been looking for a way to capture that feeling in a car that splits the practicality difference somewhere between the 911 and the Volt. Some people (maybe even Keith) are going to cringe at the miles the Rufus is going to get, but putting 100k miles on this car will always be cheaper and easier than putting 100k more miles on the 911. The 911 will go back into rotation as the Friday car eventually. Finish the kitchen. Need to finish the kitchen. 

mazdeuce - Seth
11/17/18 6:56 a.m.
Slammo said:

Deucekid#4 has a plane ticket in his name. When his older brother was 10 we drove the 911 back from Pennsylvania. If Rufus was a school bus I think I could have filled it with the people that have offered to drive back with me. laugh

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/17/18 8:00 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Cars are made to be driven.  They love it.  Deep down inside they die a bit every time you say “i’ll get it out this year” and then never quite do.  Rack up the miles!

Papabishop
Papabishop Reader
11/17/18 8:26 a.m.

So giving the asking price for this does this mean $500-1000 cars are free game in the future? Plus more race car parts!

mazdeuce - Seth
11/17/18 8:54 a.m.

In reply to Papabishop :

The math says I can buy 70 $500 Subaru's right? laugh

Not really. We have an understanding that every car is evaluated on it's own merits and place within the fleet. It gets to the point where you simply have too many cars to have the time to fix/drive all of them. In a week, four of the cars will be Mrs. Deuce's cars. I'd like to sell the Volt, but that will probably wait until after Christmas. for kid reasons. Once we officially don't have four kids that we regularly need to haul then I want to get rid of the truck and get a trailer to use behind the FJ. If kid#2 wasn't going to use the Forester as his daily soon (permit should happen next week) then I'd probably be selling it back to you because it has a LOT of overlap with the Accord, even though I kind of love it. 

Even after all that, I can't get Mrs. Deuce to agree to let me buy a two door Rav4 even though I desperatly want one for no good reason. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
11/17/18 8:58 a.m.

So Just a top tip. Avoid New Mexico as much as possible. The roads are garbage and very annoying. Better to come across 50 and then pop out onto I25 by Pueblo. Or if you aren't in a hurry, 141 to 160 to I25. The picture I had in GRM were from 141. Feel free to pop up to Co. Springs for a beer/dinner if you have time. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/17/18 9:37 a.m.
Patrick said:

Cars are made to be driven.  They love it.  Deep down inside they die a bit every time you say “i’ll get it out this year” and then never quite do.  Rack up the miles!

Agreed 100%. 

There are many excellent ways to get across the mountains. 50 might actually be the fastest. 141 is epic. There are some little ones like 69 that are a fantastic high mountain experience but may not be suitable in late November.

Papabishop
Papabishop Reader
11/17/18 10:10 a.m.

Well I am on hunt for another vehicle, but Forester doesn’t check the boxes I want. Trying to find DD like the traccord so I can go have some fun on the weekends.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
11/17/18 10:25 a.m.

Dibs on the truck!

mazdeuce - Seth
11/18/18 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

You're at the top of my list. Keep in mind that it's the only vehicle we have that fits the whole family at once. We can take two cars for when we're doing things as a family locally, especially now that our number of drivers is increasing, but we still drive 20 hours each way as a family every now and again. 

As far as routes go, we're looking at a couple of options. It's about 20 hours of drive time back home and 5th graders, while excellent company, are terrible at pulling their weight as wheelmen. The second day is going to be flat and boring so we're gong to try and see something interesting on the second day depending on weather. What's the tank range on an ND? 

I'm watching the tracking on the check that was mailed. Once that gets there I'll start a thread in the build section. I don't want to jinx anything. laugh

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
11/18/18 6:55 p.m.

No hurry, I need to put a roof on our house first. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
11/18/18 10:52 p.m.

I took 3 days when I drove back with Betty. Mind you it was summer time so there was no road concerns due to snow/ice unlike this time of year. 

Day 1: Flight to GJ. Drive from GJ to Durango via 141/550 (Wouldn't probably do that this time of year) 

Day 2: Durango to Lubbock. Didn't really want to stop in Lubbock but it was 117 out that day and the car was getting a little warm with the AC on enough not to bake me. 

Day 3: Lubbock to Austin. 

Depending on when you are going, you can look up road conditions in advance here: http://www.cotrip.org/home.htm It's got camera feeds and really gives you a good idea. I check it out before heading into the mountains in the winter. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/19/18 3:52 p.m.

COtrip is an awesome site. UDOT has one that's even better, as it includes road condition predictions. But if that comes in to play, Seth is lost.

Planning the trip is fun. Highway 50 is a pretty awesome drive, and it's basically the default. It's part of the Colorado Grand, a megabuck tour where you see a lot of 60's Ferraris blatting around. If you turn off 50 at Texas Creek and run down 69 (heh heh) you get some gorgeous high mountain roads as well as the option of turning off on 96 and then 165. Depends on weather. Once you get to I-25, the fun is pretty much over.

The 141/550 drive is amazing but more risky at this time of year. 141 is fairly low traffic and may not have the snow maintenance, 550 is higher traffic but prone to avalanches and closures due to people sliding off the road. 550 is one of the CO classics, though, the Million Dollar Highway. Your passenger will love being on the side of the road with the massive dropoffs and no guardrails.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
11/19/18 4:20 p.m.

Nobody has mentioned (I think) 141, then 145 past Telluride over Lizard Head pass to Dolores and Durango as an alternative to 550 - also a very pretty drive, not nearly as intimidating in the winter as 550.  It's another great alternative.  There are very few bad choices in Colorado (except for I-70).

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/19/18 4:31 p.m.

To clarify - I don't know what 141 is like in the winter, I just know it does get up there. But it's my go-to for magazine drives :)

I've never driven Lizard Head myself, but I've heard it's gorgeous.

mazdeuce - Seth
11/20/18 8:10 a.m.

Looks like UPS put the check on the fast truck and it's supposed to be there by the end of the day today. The boy and I have been looking at the map. He's pretty excited. Mrs. Deuce is getting more and more grumpy about the Volt now that she knows that Rufus is waiting. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6AOTegPuo21lnvh3AIfBMOkW6lySNI9b5ftuPAulIgtNGDUgBLv4cpPvRqmgLsNL