ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/16/22 10:31 p.m.

I’ve decided it is time to move along on this stalled project. I purchased it non-running with mystery electrical issue, complete spare wiring harness, and ratty bodywork. The pump would run when powered directly, and bike would sputter and run briefly on starting fluid, but pump wouldn’t prime when keying on. I started disassembly and troubleshooting until I found a crack in the frame, at which point I decided I’m throwing in the towel. Located in Portland, Oregon, USA. Willing to ship; you pay shipping cost.

2002 non-ABS RC46. Rough respray to the RWB Anniversary colors. Aftermarket exhaust. Taller cracked windscreen has been replaced with a stocker that isn’t in the photos. The Sargent seat in the first photo is also already sold, but I have a stock one available. If someone wants to take the whole thing, I can source some stock bars to help with moving and transport.

Asking $1000 for the whole shebang (I have a title) open to offers.
Willing to consider parting it out sell individual parts, or package deals, but want to see if anyone wants the whole thing for parts first. I have everything except chain and helibars, which are both already gone. I have mirrors even though they aren’t in the photo. I think it was at 37,000ish miles, but might be off a bit as that is from memory. Can provide more detailed photos of specific parts upon request. Upper fairing is cracked, and every panel has some sort of scuffs, cracks, dents or peeling paint, but lots of the mechanical parts are good.

iansane
iansane Dork
1/17/22 12:54 p.m.

Oof. I didn't see your reply in the other thread until now. This is really tempting. Especially since my gf is picking up a bike. I'll need something to ride with her. Let me simmer on this.

1/17/22 2:15 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

I'm motivated to see it gone, and would love for it to go to a GRMer. Just got some helpful troubleshooting info from a VFR owner's group member...having trouble copying and pasting here, but happy to pass it along if you take on the project. The aftermarket helibar handlebar buyer also backed out, so no worries about sourcing bars to move it. laugh

1/18/22 1:03 a.m.

From the VFR member regarding a possible fix:

Not sure if you are completely done with the bike but this might help. in any case if you can get her running you can get a better price.

Posted November 30, 2009 On 11/30/2009 at 6:39 AM, warbird said:

On 11/29/2009 at 7:03 PM, Baileyrock said: So you have a bike with the Hiss system, but a US harness and ECU. Is that right ? We in the US have zero experience with that set-up, but I would think that the US spec harness & ECU would bypass it. Is your US harness new or a used one? Maybe it has the bad ground wire fault like many US bike had and you just need a new/better ground! :blink: Check for "blue connector ground wire fix" in the search box. The fuel pump Not priming is the biggest issue with the faulty harnesses here in the US and Honda did a Recall to replace the harness. Maybe someone should you one of the replaced harnesses? :rolleyes:

Thanks for this! It is a used harness so that could be the issue! Ill give it a shot and see what happens, any more suggestions welcome

Here's the link to the fix http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34394&view=findpost&p=411780 It's an easy fix and it's very simple to test if that's the issue. Here's what you do: Key on, left side panel(fairing/cowl) off (you've already have the kill switch on, side stand up and in neutral) w/all lights on, but no fuel pump prime. Insert one end of a 12" jumper wire into the FRONT half of the blue connector into the green ground wire pin making sure to have a good contact.(note it's the front half of the connector that's not getting a solid ground from the back half(source) of the connector) Then just touch the other end of the jumper wire to the frame or any good cassis ground and if that is the issue(bad harness ground) then the fuel pump will instantly prime! If this works than just perform the Blue connector fix from the link and your done! :blush: btw you'll find the correct connector and green pin location in that same link

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
1/18/22 7:38 a.m.

I have an idea for a Challenge car that involves a liter or near-liter bike engine.  Don't think I can swing it right now though. 

Good luck with it

1/19/22 1:37 p.m.

PRICE DROP to $600!

iansane
iansane Dork
1/19/22 3:02 p.m.

Oof. Messaged.

1/19/22 3:54 p.m.

Message replied; hoping this works out to get it to iansane...if I get another offer from my local craigslist of trades for a broken quad, sweet BBQ, or guitar and bass gear I am going to scream! cheeky

iansane
iansane Dork
1/20/22 11:49 a.m.

In reply to ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) :

Damn, I was going to bring a semi functioning lawn mower in trade. Not cool?

(joking, of course)

1/21/22 12:45 a.m.

In reply to iansane :

Does that semi-functioning lawn mower happen to be LS-powered, because if so, I might consider a trade. cheeky

1/22/22 8:35 p.m.

Sold to iansane! Very pleasant transaction; always nice to deal with another GRMer! smiley

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kxyy4pZ9znlV5QJItV3oslBJ5GDMRcIU0xpOg8zCffNOR6CBZXkl4c6jlfZNZbnF