1 2
Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
9/20/19 11:10 p.m.

Decided to be boring and put an LS in my wagon, so I don't currently have a use for this. 4.3 liter LT v8. 80k miles according to the previous owner. I heard it run in the car it was pulled from. Comes with '94 ECM and engine bay harness and some other parts. Selling for what I have in it. Located in Glasgow, Kentucky.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
9/21/19 8:43 a.m.

Saw this last night and assumed 4.3 v6 but now that I’m awake... it’s the little V8 that got put in the Caprice for a couple years right?

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
9/21/19 9:03 a.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

I forget what year range, this one did come from a '94 Caprice though.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
9/21/19 11:34 a.m.

Back when I was shopping the auction for a police interceptor, I passed on some caprices with that engine because I assumed they were a V6.

I was very happy with the p71 I bought instead.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
9/22/19 2:46 p.m.

FWIW this crank in lt1 block = 302ci

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
9/22/19 3:11 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I have a local party interested and that's his exact plan. Claims he wants to build that and put it in an Elco. I for one hope he actually buys it and then builds that and then sends me pics and video.

BlueInGreen - Jon
9/26/19 6:53 p.m.

Get this sold yet?

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
9/26/19 7:13 p.m.

One guy claims he's coming next week to get it. I'll believe it when I see it. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
9/26/19 8:25 p.m.

Welp. If you don’t eventually sell it  to someone local I’m contemplating whether it makes sense to drive 8 hours one way for a 90s small block.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
9/26/19 10:32 p.m.

I personally wouldn't for this engine, though i do believe it is a good example of this specific 90s small block. Depending on when you would be coming I might be able to throw in lunch on the deal or something. 

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
9/27/19 4:58 a.m.

I'm one hour away and have an incomplete LT1, I really did not need to see this.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
9/27/19 5:17 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

Saw this last night and assumed 4.3 v6 but now that I’m awake... it’s the little V8 that got put in the Caprice for a couple years right?

And aluminum LT1 heads will clear its teeny little bores!

I didn't need to see this either, because I really don't have anything I'd want to put it in, other than "The Black Car".  Although if it pisses me off enough this weekend, I might change my mind.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
9/27/19 5:22 a.m.
Patrick said:

FWIW this crank in lt1 block = 302ci

Crank and rods.  The 4.3 uses the same piston pin height as the 5.7.

That's some weird Chevy thinking... "We have been making 5.7" rods for every small block except the 400 since the beginning of time, how about now we make an engine that needs different pistons AND rods because why not?"

I bet it was for something really esoteric, like whatever machinery is used to insert the wristpins is dependent on wristpin height and that machinery is more expensive than tooling up to make a run of extra long rods.  LT1s having powdered metal rods instead of (expensive to tool up for) forgings probably has a factor as well.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
9/27/19 6:03 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

You have a PM, sir

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon HalfDork
10/29/19 11:39 p.m.

So I'll ask the question since I have had a bug in my brain about these engines since I learned of their existence. Do you still have this thing?

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
10/29/19 11:46 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Yes. I still have it. Halfway decided I need to put a T5 behind it and stick it in my GTA but don't have the T5 yet.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon HalfDork
10/30/19 12:01 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Hmmm ok. I need sleep and to do a few more googles. I can't stop thinking about this engine in a first gen Rx7 at the 2020 challenge. I will be in touch.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
10/30/19 12:17 a.m.

Feel free to send me a PM, they typically go through well for me but probably good idea to tell me here that you sent it so I remember to check my trash folder for it. I can try to get you measurements and what not if it would help. I definitely think this engine is best suited for the lightest car you can make it fit in. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon HalfDork
10/30/19 10:46 a.m.

You should have something in your mailbox.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
10/30/19 11:09 a.m.

Replied.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
1/27/20 9:28 p.m.

I still have this. Was going to use it in one of my cars but decided to bail on that car all together. Still available for $100 or any reasonable offer.

03Panther
03Panther Reader
1/29/20 11:33 p.m.

Its a good thing for my marriage that I'm 500 mils away! That engine fits in the "least favorite chebby V8" list... although I was right happy with my 267 SBC malibu wagon! Wasn't fast, but decent mileage and never let me down.

Yes, alum. LT heads fit, but why? Yes crank fits in F body LT, for 302, but again, why?

For 100, I'd get just to include with the 97 'bird i'm gonna sell, but the logistics don't work right now

Be good for someone local just needed to get a broken LT1 car DD going.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
1/29/20 11:47 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Originally it was literally just a cheap engine to get my Caprice wagon running under a challenge budget. Then I decided to ditch the challenge plans for that car and go with a 5.3 LS. Next plan for the 4.3 was mild cam and toss it in my GTA with a T5. Decided I have more important fish to fry than that Pontiac with a silly engine. Both the car and engine are taking up space in the shop so both need to find a home. 

nocones
nocones UltraDork
1/30/20 12:08 a.m.

I am very glad that you are far enough away that this doesn't seem like a good plan to put a V8 in the 54 willy's currently equiped with a TBI 4.3 V6.

03Panther
03Panther Reader
1/30/20 1:09 a.m.

It would SOUND better, LOOK better, but for exact same look mounts everything, a 350 ci. LT is same... course probably can’t get one for 100 either!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
62i8F0F7ubW7frqPdASJBzdJexK8glLazCZ0bKS57Fz0pR1jTrhcmUYeqjzz3LXJ