Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
5/11/21 4:11 p.m.

One of the students at the USF Art Dept used this as a kind of prop for his final project.  Now he's done with it and it needs to go.  Needs to be picked up fairly quickly, but I can probably stall it being thrown in the dumpster for 1-2 weeks.

Gimme a yell if you want it.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/12/21 2:04 a.m.

That appears to be a two speed rear? If so, I may have a project in mind... assume furd f650 size? Old 20" split rims?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
5/12/21 2:09 a.m.

Not sure on any of that.  Guy that picked it up was fairly clueless, best he was able to tell me was that it was off a tow truck.  Going up there tomorrow some time, can look for specifics if you tell me what to check

mtnbiker4evr13
mtnbiker4evr13 New Reader
5/12/21 10:46 a.m.

I was hoping for some Eaton HO72 goodness.. but alas 2spd maybe Eaton or Dana rear. Still cool but relegated to ratrod or scrap use... bet you wont put it under a challenge car laugh

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/12/21 9:34 p.m.

In reply to mtnbiker4evr13 :

I don't know the older truck rears - just that some of the older MD trucks had em, and they are not geared well for modern smaller stuff. (By smaller, I'm referring to little 2 ton trucks, and down!)

I see what looks like a vacuum can, so I assume that shifts from the 5 (0r 6) to 1 gear to the low stump puller gear in the 8:1, or lower.

IIRC, the ford ones from 60's MD trucks, used an electric shift for that?

iansane
iansane HalfDork
5/14/21 9:45 a.m.

My '70 c50 uses a vacuum setup like that but it's been so long since I looked at the diff itself to remember if the housing looks similar.

earlybroncoguy1
earlybroncoguy1 New Reader
5/16/21 11:17 a.m.

Call Freiburger and Finnegan, maybe they need a spare for Stubby Bob.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/22/21 5:35 a.m.

I don't see how there is room in the housing for a 2 speed setup.

Really curious what is going on in there!

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/22/21 1:31 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

I've never had my hands on one of the smaller MD truck 2 speed rears, but I remember the 60's and 70's had some electric, and some vacume...

I think iansane's C50, would be about that physical size, but do not know enough to know how it accomplishes the lower ratio

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jdDQDNuiOGaNYnRCLVE7gK1FLx6zi76zKcJPiRei9pVcBV1Iqgns482gweKHIPxm