mjsizemore
mjsizemore New Reader
1/3/20 2:09 p.m.

I'm selling this Lotus 907 engine from a 1974 Jensen Healey along with its components (carbs, alternator, starter, distributor, intake and exhaust manifolds). Engine is currently in the car and can be demonstrated running. Previous owner fabricated an intake manifold to adapt a single carb. He fitted a new single carb sourced from Pegasus Racing, but the original Strombergs are supplied. 

This is an all allow 2 liter DOHC 16-valve motor. It was used in the Lotus Esprit as well as the Jensen Healey. This specific motor has number 907E0050Y.

I will remove the motor for shipping. Leaving it in for now so that you can confirm that it is operational to your satisfaction. Better yet, just buy the whole Jensen Healey project car for $2500.

Contact me by private message for further information.

Follow this link to see video of motor running: https://www.flickr.com/photos/58427540@N05/49289960297/in/album-72157711778312981/ 

Follow this link to see video of oil pressure 60 - 70 psi from idle to 3000 rpm: https://www.flickr.com/photos/58427540@N05/49289264103/in/album-72157711778312981/ 

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
1/3/20 6:27 p.m.

Wow that seems like a heck of a lot of car for $2500...

gumby
gumby HalfDork
1/3/20 6:42 p.m.
Robbie said:

Wow that seems like a heck of a lot of car for $2500...

Sshhh, I was trying not to look at the rest of the album

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
1/3/20 7:52 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

You should look so that I don't. 

mjsizemore
mjsizemore New Reader
1/3/20 8:34 p.m.

Feel free to check out the other pictures of the Jensen Healey in my album where the video links take you. It's a pretty solid car with many new parts. Yard driveable. The gas tank has been replaced or renewed, and a new fuel pump added. Bumpers have been polished but are wavy on their upper surfaces. New wiring to the exterior lights and to the engine compartment have been added and are operational, although the wiring to the instrument panel is still in need of work. A temporary panel has been roughed in to mount the ignition switch and a couple other switches. The alternator appears to be new or rebuilt. Battery new at the time I bought the car. 

Other work done by the previous:

- new brake shoes and wheel cylinders

- new brake calipers

- brake master cylinder new or rebuilt by Delta Motorsports 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/4/20 5:39 p.m.

That’s a lot of car for a lot less than I paid for my TR3.

mjsizemore
mjsizemore New Reader
1/5/20 8:23 p.m.

Yes, but TR3s are more collectible and always bring more money. My first sports car was a TR3, and it was a gas with those low-cut doors with the sidecurtains off practically being able to reach out and touch the pavement. But I recall that even as a teenager those rigid barrel-shaped seats combined with the car's logwagon suspension to hammer your kidneys into submission after very little distance.  You could put some pizzaz in your TR3 by installing this Jensen Healey motor in it. But that would detract from the originality and collectibility of the TR3.

If anyone browses the other pictures in the album of Jensen Healey photos and videos from the links in my original post please be aware that there are two pages of high resolution pictures that you can scroll through. Also, if you click on each picture it will enlarge to show fine detail, so you can see what you might be getting into with this project. It should be a relatively easy project, especially if you can handle any of the upholstery work or have access to a parts car that has some useable soft parts.

I originally bought this JH to use its body to fit onto this chassis:

This is a prototype chassis built by Spydercars (makers of reproduction Lotus frames) with a Cosworth YB turbocharged and intercooled motor and drivetrain from a Ford Sierra rally car. The motor is more than twice as powerful as the JH, and the chassis is more sophisticated. The JH and this chassis have the same wheelbase and track, so I planned to meld the two to make a hot JH, using the title/registration paperwork of the JH to make it street legal. The prototype chassis has never been titled because it was constructed as a pre-production prototype by the manufacturer of the Maxton sports car.

I intend to sell this running vehicle as well as the JH as I am realizing that this project is beyond my means. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
1/9/20 6:16 p.m.

In reply to mjsizemore :

I'm digging the Fiat 850 in the background.  

I also owned a TR3 in a previous life and I joked that it rode like a Conestoga wagon.  

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/11/20 5:08 a.m.

Today, thanks to Wiki-walking thanks to this thread, I learned that the Lotus 900-series used Vauxhall engine blocks during development, and a Lotus head will not only bolt up to one, but Vauxhall ran them on Chevettes until the FIA said no, get your own cylinder head.  So that's why this engine looks so familiar.

Also TIL that Talbot just right-out bought Lotus engines for the Sunbeam.

And then I saw the rolling chassis with a YBB in it.

Today was a good day and the sun ain't even up yet.

mjsizemore
mjsizemore New Reader
1/23/20 4:49 p.m.

The Lotus 907 engine in this Jensen Healey has an aluminum block, so I doubt it is from a Vauxhall. 

Sciacchitano
Sciacchitano
4/8/20 1:34 a.m.

Mr. Sizemore is correct.  The Lotus 907 is not a Vauxhall engine.  Some of the reasons for the belief by some that the Lotus 907 design is a Vauxhall are as follows.

The dimensions and layout are similar to a cast iron 1600cc single-overhead-cam slant 4 engine Vauxhall introduced in 1966.  Colin Chapman modified a few of these Vauxhall engine blocks to use as testing beds for the twin cam aluminum heads he developed for the Lotus 907 series.  The Lotus design is of course an all alloy engine. 

In addition, Vauxhall later used the Lotus 907 heads on its slant 4 racing engines, and it later developed it's own twin cam head based on the Lotus design.  This gave the engines an appearance similar to the Lotus 907.  The confusion stems from these factors.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/8/20 9:08 a.m.
So what does this chassis fit? Built by Spydercars, but was it for a Maxton or something else?
mjsizemore said:

Yes, but TR3s are more collectible and always bring more money. My first sports car was a TR3, and it was a gas with those low-cut doors with the sidecurtains off practically being able to reach out and touch the pavement. But I recall that even as a teenager those rigid barrel-shaped seats combined with the car's logwagon suspension to hammer your kidneys into submission after very little distance.  You could put some pizzaz in your TR3 by installing this Jensen Healey motor in it. But that would detract from the originality and collectibility of the TR3.

If anyone browses the other pictures in the album of Jensen Healey photos and videos from the links in my original post please be aware that there are two pages of high resolution pictures that you can scroll through. Also, if you click on each picture it will enlarge to show fine detail, so you can see what you might be getting into with this project. It should be a relatively easy project, especially if you can handle any of the upholstery work or have access to a parts car that has some useable soft parts.

I originally bought this JH to use its body to fit onto this chassis:

This is a prototype chassis built by Spydercars (makers of reproduction Lotus frames) with a Cosworth YB turbocharged and intercooled motor and drivetrain from a Ford Sierra rally car. The motor is more than twice as powerful as the JH, and the chassis is more sophisticated. The JH and this chassis have the same wheelbase and track, so I planned to meld the two to make a hot JH, using the title/registration paperwork of the JH to make it street legal. The prototype chassis has never been titled because it was constructed as a pre-production prototype by the manufacturer of the Maxton sports car.

I intend to sell this running vehicle as well as the JH as I am realizing that this project is beyond my means. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/8/20 11:48 a.m.
Sciacchitano said:

Mr. Sizemore is correct.  The Lotus 907 is not a Vauxhall engine.  Some of the reasons for the belief by some that the Lotus 907 design is a Vauxhall are as follows.

The dimensions and layout are similar to a cast iron 1600cc single-overhead-cam slant 4 engine Vauxhall introduced in 1966.  Colin Chapman modified a few of these Vauxhall engine blocks to use as testing beds for the twin cam aluminum heads he developed for the Lotus 907 series.  The Lotus design is of course an all alloy engine. 

In addition, Vauxhall later used the Lotus 907 heads on its slant 4 racing engines, and it later developed it's own twin cam head based on the Lotus design.  This gave the engines an appearance similar to the Lotus 907.  The confusion stems from these factors.

Apologies if I was too vague.  The Lotus and Vauxhall engines are of course different, but Lotus was using Vauxhall engine blocks for test mules to develop the head before they had a finished engine block design.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/8/20 2:54 p.m.

Dang the want for this thing is still strong!

mjsizemore
mjsizemore New Reader
4/9/20 6:02 p.m.

The Jensen Healey has been sold. Thanks for all your interest. The Spydersport has not been sold. I'm thinking I may offer the Ford Cosworth YB motor for sale separately from the chassis. 

mjsizemore
mjsizemore New Reader
4/9/20 7:30 p.m.

In reply to dherr :

This chassis was constructed as a prototype for a next generation of the successful series of the Maxton car that Mr. Sutherland had previously manufactured. When I bought the car I was provided with some preliminary body design drawings in a couple different configurations, closed body gullwing and an open version. Here are a couple of his renderings. Unfortunately, due to other projects and his failing health Mr. Sutherland was unable to continue development before his death.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UB8mS4owrUpyLyNYjnfzz8qhAv6UPLLu5lHRQAdZ3yjQ4pkqeMey9tDMFrFLBUnU