matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/2/20 5:08 p.m.

I had a Jeep T5.  I thought I would not need it, so I eBayed it before moving.  Somebody actually got their Jeep running with it, so that is nice.  Downside is that I think I was wrong before, and now I need one.

I actually only need the tail housing, though the shift rod, cap, etc. could also be useful.

These are hens teeth. There is one on eBay for twice what I bought my previous whole trans for.  I am not in a hurry, but I figure I should start looking.

If anyone has a phone number for a shop that might have one, that works, too.  I have called a some, but no dice.

Thanks,

Matthew

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) UltimaDork
6/2/20 6:54 p.m.

What should I look for in the yards?  Got a year and model range?

6/2/20 8:13 p.m.

Hey, thanks for keeping an eye out, Stampie!

Near as I can find, 82 to 86 Jeep CJ7's with the 5 speed. 

(photo stolen from jeepsunlimited.net)

You can see the bulge in the tail housing.  That is 5th gear (no bulge on a 4 speed T4).

I am looking for a tail housing, and the top cover has the shift rod that is the correct size to go with the tail housing.  The whole thing would be handy, of course, but I don't want to be too picky.

Are you looking for anything that I can keep an eye out for?

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) UltimaDork
6/3/20 8:42 a.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

Ok I set a vehicle text alert for those.

I guess I'm partial to redheads.  Needs to be rich and willing to put up with my vehicle addiction.  Let me know if you find one.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) UltimaDork
6/3/20 9:03 a.m.

I reached out to a Jeep friend and he sent me this. I don't know how shipping and all that would work out but hey it's a lead.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/489659998380402/

6/4/20 10:02 p.m.

Thanks Stampie.  I had not been looking at nationwide Craigslist and the like, yet, but now I am.

I tried to see if I could find some info for you on really rich dogs, but the collie's were the wrong color.

10/3/20 9:14 p.m.

I found a tranny.  I am now no longer sure I need, one, again.  Having made that mistake last time, I will hold on to it just to make sure. It was only $175, so that is pretty low risk.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
10/3/20 9:23 p.m.

yes

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JjG8r3qeUOMGTpKUTX7MtytTmEJ5lYH3cf6gWbmWlgO7AcwvkGw5VLO0x6g0wv47