matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
10/1/22 8:44 p.m.

Specifically, I am looking for output shafts and flanges, though the whole diff might be handy. The pre-1983 flanges do not use the preload that the later flanges do.

Anybody have random old parts?

Thanks

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
10/1/22 9:19 p.m.

How can I tell the difference? I have totes of rabbit crap.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
10/1/22 10:03 p.m.

Stealing from brokevw.com...

The later style captures a spring inside, so the sealing surface is farther out on the flange.  The later type uses a green seal adapter on the bellhousing side, shown below on an assembled transmission:

If flanges are out in totes, here is a comparison:

The older have a straight "stem," and the newer have tapered. The output shafts are the same for both.

I am looking at possibly being able to use the outputs and flanges to modify a different gearbox. Flanges and output shafts would be great, the spiders would be good, and I wouldn't mind being able to see the whole diff, just in case sizes end up being close. Quick measurements (assuming I can count, which can be tricky some days) is that the spiders in the new box are the same size and spline count at the VW stuff. Things still may not go together, but I would like to see how close they get and if some lathe work can fix it all.

Are you doing anything fun with your old VW stuff?

Thanks for checking,

Matthew

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
10/2/22 9:20 a.m.

No, I got out of the mki game years ago but still have lots of parts. I'll look for you

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/10/22 9:49 a.m.

Every time I need something like this I reach out to Hank Baxter (hbg)

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
10/10/22 11:23 a.m.

I am not familiar with Hank Baxter. How do I reach out to him?

Thanks

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4IQjzmEsBxavFypuc9q7ytISELBDaKVOaVeXUhYQiLwySn6t6zbxQ3Lrb7G8PrP0