RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
9/21/21 12:01 a.m.

Looking around the storage space shelves to see what I might be able to sell after getting the latest machine shop bill.  
So wondering if these two RX7 trans are useful to anyone other than those using Rotaries?
I know some stuff interchanges from model to model and even across brands, but the alphabet soup of modern models loses me PDQ.

I know I will never use them, so how about semi-fair offers?
Not sure if I have any shift handles, will try to look.
And yes, I am still in No. Nevada near Reno.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
9/21/21 6:18 a.m.

As far as I know, they can't be used on anything except rotaries.

However, they are very similar to miata gearboxes and there is some parts interchangeability.

That beings said, there were a few gearboxes used throughout the years with rotaries, so a pic would be helpful in identifying which ones you have.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
9/22/21 2:02 p.m.

Second gen NA 5-speeds have "smooth" cases.
OK, that is what I have.
Found a gearshift too.
Wonder what sort of power they survive?
Trying to not go off on any more tangents* so need to sell these.
Worth $100.00 each?

*Hmm, maybe adapt to........

RX7 NA 5-Speeds

RX7 trans.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
9/23/21 12:36 a.m.

Ok, they are being adapted to other engines and are reasonably strong.

"Wonder what sort of power they survive?"

Well, I've been putting 320 ft-lb TQ/380 WHP through a 2nd gen NA trans on a 1900 lb car (w/ driver), on slicks for a decade of AX seasons. This is an infrequent data point. A more representative peak on most courses is 280 ft-lb TQ/320 WHP.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
9/23/21 12:59 a.m.

Found this, "Gearbox Adapter Plate Mercedes-Benz M112 M113 - Mazda RX-7 RX-8"
305.00 EUR.

Mazda RX7 trans to Mercedes.

grafmiata
grafmiata UltraDork
9/24/21 5:42 a.m.

I would be interested in just the bell-housings, but getting them to Ohio would be too much of a PITA.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
9/24/21 6:21 a.m.
grafmiata said:

I would be interested in just the bell-housings, but getting them to Ohio would be too much of a PITA.

The bell housings on these are not removable.  They have the the front bearings and stuff in them.  Just an fyi.

grafmiata
grafmiata UltraDork
9/24/21 10:14 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
grafmiata said:

The bell housings on these are not removable.  They have the the front bearings and stuff in them.  Just an fyi.

Well E36 M3...  Guess I need to double-check with my buddy.  I swear he said he uses fc bellhousings between his 13b and Hewland gearbox.  Maybe he meant Turbo II.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
9/24/21 1:41 p.m.
grafmiata said:
wvumtnbkr said:
grafmiata said:

Well E36 M3...  Guess I need to double-check with my buddy.  I swear he said he uses fc bellhousings between his 13b and Hewland gearbox.  Maybe he meant Turbo II.

Most likely.  The turbo II gearbox is much stronger and does have a removable bell housing.

grafmiata
grafmiata UltraDork
9/24/21 2:43 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
grafmiata said:
wvumtnbkr said:
grafmiata said:

Most likely.  The turbo II gearbox is much stronger and does have a removable bell housing.

Just checked, and it is the n/a fc transmission he uses.  You have to sacrifice the actual transmission by cutting to remove the bellhousing.  The Turbo II flywheel is too large for his application.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Dork
9/24/21 4:27 p.m.

These are now supposed to be sold.
Payment pending.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
D0pP8QaCzOjD5IyrKC3Uht6LMTAO5TlGjYaWNd5bFVACXLppCnLdD4PL9kumuooZ