daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
6/7/21 9:04 p.m.

Before you say anything, the yellow is split loom and vacuum hose and is very easily removed. 

This is a 1989 2.5 chrysler turbo with a DOHC head swap, holset turbo and  FWD 5 speed manual transmission.

It is located in my garage in central Pennsylvania. 

I will not ship nor deliver.

I don't do facebook, so if you think you know someone, send them here to look. 

Price depends: Use it in a challenge car and you can have the lot for $1. Use it for a cool project and price will vary  based on how convincing you are (to not exceed $400). Part it out and sell it on e-bay and your cost is $401. I will not split up this junk, all or none.  I have a few grand in parts here, and many hours, I'm aware it can not be recouped. 

If you are still reading, and you can find me a RWD first gen dakota to put this in I may keep the junk and trick myself into thinking I need another project. Bonus points if you find a dakota convertable for little to no $.  CLICK HERE

I rebuilt/built it in I believe 2006 and had it in a '89 minivan which had title issues I could not resolve. I had it running on a stock tune to break in the clutch and engine, I believe I put about 500 miles on it changed the oil, took it out, stuffed it in my fathers garage and had the van with an unobtainable title crushed.  It ran well, I kept the boost under 5 psi and was sorting the teething issues when I had to dump the van. Then I discovered v8s....

This is a 2.5 "common block" with a reman crank and matching bearings, new intermediate shaft bearings, new rod and piston bearings, new stock size pistons and new rings, the ballance shafts have been removed and the oil feed plugged. The oil pump has a mopar performance overpressure spring swapped in.  Every seal was replaced... in 2006... It has a MLS head gasket and a 2.4 DOHC head. The head has 2.0 DOHC cams and FWD performance offset cam sprockets that also happen to be adjustable. The head has external oil drains with rose type disconnects (if you needed to pull the head off). The external drains are very overbuilt, I thought my first draft failed but it was just a bad oil pan gasket leak.  The distributor cap is a custom made unit with actual brass inserts and removable wires unlike the crap used on the stock k-cars.  I don't remember what the intake manifold is, but it required a remote oil filter: this is a nice cast aluminum block adaptor and a GM remote oil filter unit (uses the 3980 filter from the older blazer/4.3 truck stuff, the red hose is heavy oil rated.)

This is an A/C delete alternator mount: 

Drivers side head with turbo oil line and "parker" flow control valve feeding head galley:

Polyurethane front motor mount:

The turbo is a holset hy-35w unprofessionally rebuilt by myself.  The turbo manifold is just weld'el's and it is warped. It should be pulled off and planed. 

The transmission is an A-523, it has a new 2.5 turbo flywheel and a new TIII clutch and pressure plate (new other than the 500 or so break in miles).  

Intercooler tubing, BOV,  intake, motormount brackets (the NA miata calliper brackets are not included) 

S-body (minivan) shifter and cables (I think from an A-520, but works fine with newer transmissions, has the correct bend for vans) and pedal setup. 

Minivan specific cluch and brake, cable, firewall grommet fittings including van specific clutch cable strut tower mount:

'89 minivan engine bay wiring harness:

Spare (ECM, hall pickups, coil, fuel rail etc.)

spare ECM with fatal code 54 (this was difficult to troubleshoot). Probably good for the case or other parts: 

More spares: wire parts, flex fuel injectors, sensors etc.: 

Mechanical and electric speedo drive:

Homemade offset cam sprockets: not true but okay for mockups:

Stock ECM- Looks like the capacitors split?? ran on this ECM but that was 2006-2007 ish:

I have a third ECU which is de-potted, socketed and chipped (burn any tune you want) and various parts (3 bar MAP project) which will be included when I locate it. 

Known problems:

The turbo smokes a small amount under boost. It is running main oil galley oil feed (pressure) with the mopar performance stiffer oil pump overflow spring, so it may just be getting too much oil and a line restrictor may fix this. I have not monitored pressures it is getting. It may also just need a professional rebuild, but looked clean and tight to me.

Turbo manifold is warped. This manifold also interferes with many things.

Aftermarket 4 piece oil pan gasket leaks. 

ECM: one is known bad, the second stock one now looks questionable, my third is MIA.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
6/8/21 8:12 a.m.

I was reading this feeling safe since I already had engines to swap into both of my K wagons.   

Then I read about the 5 speed Minivan conversion parts, and remembered a $500 mini semi-local.

Must
Click

Away...

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
6/8/21 8:19 a.m.

My $500 Shelby Lancer need a new engine........

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
6/8/21 10:04 a.m.
Cooter said:

I was reading this feeling safe since I already had engines to swap into both of my K wagons.   

Then I read about the 5 speed Minivan conversion parts, and remembered a $500 mini semi-local.

Must
Click

Away...

My loosing battle with a bad title crushed my motivation, this would be great in a van, just not by me.

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
6/8/21 10:06 a.m.
Donebrokeit said:

My $500 Shelby Lancer need a new engine........

Drop this in or salvage all the parts. Price is right.

I never respected the lancers 20 years ago, now they are  my favorite k platform!

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
6/17/21 2:58 p.m.

Lots of useful stuff. A523 with clutch and flywheel. New pistons and bearings. DOHC head swap stuff. Holset turbo and serviceable manifold. Minivan specific mounts pedals and wiring. Loads of spares/trash I paid $ for...

This can be free to a good home!

Share this post with any fwd Mopar nut you know!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/17/21 3:27 p.m.

Umm... John is up in Pa with a fairly empty trailer.  Gimme a second for an email.

Edit: For once I'm serious about my interest.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
6/17/21 3:40 p.m.

O.M.G.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/18/21 8:45 p.m.

I sent an email last night, did it go through?

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
6/19/21 10:05 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response.

I somehow lost the email (I did see it, but it disappeared when I attempted to reply), you are currently the only interested party I am aware of.  If you don't mind re-sending the PM?

Thanks

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/19/21 12:43 p.m.
daytonaer said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Hello,

I somehow lost the email (I did see it, but it disappeared when I attempted to reply), you are currently the only interested party I am aware of.  If you don't mind re-sending the PM?

Thanks

Sent!

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
6/19/21 1:35 p.m.

So I guess you didn't receive my PM?

Paul

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
6/19/21 11:15 p.m.
Donebrokeit said:

So I guess you didn't receive my PM?

Paul

Paul,

I did not receive a PM from you.

I'm not having luck with lots of spare time to check online, but if I do get a message I will reply one way or another.

Thanks,
Mike

daytonaer
daytonaer HalfDork
6/19/21 11:15 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:
daytonaer said:

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Hello,

Thanks

Sent!

Got it and replied,

Thanks

hobiercr
hobiercr SuperDork
7/26/21 4:49 p.m.

Parts collected today for travel to their new home! The GRM Express rides again.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/31/21 7:28 p.m.
hobiercr said:

Parts collected today for travel to their new home! The GRM Express rides again.

I love a happy ending!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uttpKEO8a6vInb1vLsyuqiYfzgdNPcauHgJXxud1uCXSNJ8mlWBjwUYVNxx3J7Nu