eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/3/21 7:20 a.m.

I'd like something stronger than the 7.625" rear axle for my LS swap project.  Haven't been able to turn one up in the junkyard after months of searching, so I thought I'd check and see if any has one stashed away they like to get rid of.  Can be from a RWD or 4WD S10 or S10 Blazer (or the GMC equivalent), as long as it is not from a ZR2 (too wide). 

If you've got one with a few hundred miles of southwest Ohio that you'd be willing to sell, please let me know.  This is kind of a last ditch effort before I pay more for a custom 9" or 8.8" Ford build.

wheels777
wheels777 UltraDork
3/3/21 11:27 p.m.

Save yourself a lot of money....do an 8.8".  Contact me if you want one built. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/4/21 10:01 a.m.
eastsideTim said:

I'd like something stronger than the 7.625" rear axle for my LS swap project.  Haven't been able to turn one up in the junkyard after months of searching, so I thought I'd check and see if any has one stashed away they like to get rid of.  Can be from a RWD or 4WD S10 or S10 Blazer (or the GMC equivalent), as long as it is not from a ZR2 (too wide). 

If you've got one with a few hundred miles of southwest Ohio that you'd be willing to sell, please let me know.  This is kind of a last ditch effort before I pay more for a custom 9" or 8.8" Ford build.

There was one at US Auto in Wayne MI a couple weeks ago, in a V6 Manual S10. I didn't grab it because I don't need it. Might still be there...

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/4/21 4:20 p.m.
wheels777 said:

Tried to email you, but it got bounced back to me.  Do you have a new email?  Or is there a good time of day to just call?

Angry - if you happen to be up there again, and it's still there, I might be interested, but please don't make a special trip.

3/4/21 8:13 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
wheels777 said:

Tried to email you, but it got bounced back to me.  Do you have a new email?  Or is there a good time of day to just call?

Angry - if you happen to be up there again, and it's still there, I might be interested, but please don't make a special trip.

I'll check on Saturday 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/5/21 4:15 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

If you aren't headed there anyway, no worries, I shot off an email to wheels777 with my specs, and he may end up building an 8.8 for me.

3/6/21 9:58 a.m.

Website shows it's not in inventory anymore. I checked the text from my buddy telling me about it and it was a month ago. :-(

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
3/7/21 3:30 p.m.
eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/7/21 4:37 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Looks like a 7.5/7.625,  The 8.5 has a step down on the axle tubes.  There's also some tabs at the bottom that are easy to check.  The 7.5 has ones that come out at a point, and the 8.5 is flat.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/11/21 11:47 a.m.

I don't think you'll get lucky with an 8.5" from an S-truck.  The only ones that got it were the ZR2 and some incredibly rare last-gen before the Colorado.

I think you're better off with an explorer 8.8"

Quick and dirty ID for 7.5 vs 8.5 is the shape of the cover.  8.5" is pretty round.  It's the same height as width.  7.5" is shorter top to bottom than it is wide.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/11/21 12:28 p.m.

ZR2 was guaranteed the 8.5", but it was wider than even the regular 4WD axle.  2nd gen Blazers/S10s/Jimmys/Sonomas could have it, but there isn't an easy way to be certain if a truck will have it without checking the RPO codes, or looking under it.  It seems like it was most common on 4.3/5-speed combos, but still not a guarantee there.  Also, I've gathered, with the exception of the ZR2, it was more common on RWD models.  Blazer Xtremes tend to have them, even with an automatic transmission, but I haven't been able to confirm that all of them were sold with an 8.5".  I've also seen info that in the last few years of production, it may have been more common to find it under trucks that would not have usually gotten one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FYBb8Rb32X2F5etD9dhlC60W9Fxs0CFjI0Fhh4GIjSW1EXRjZMuHX9zgpIE3f4C3