2 3 4
mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
3/6/13 6:12 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Sorry, we don't have any discounts in place at the moment. We don't get any special prices from the manufacturer for various combinations.

Never hurts to ask. Hopefully I'll at least save on shipping by getting them together. Order is forthcoming as soon as I get the clear from my wife. Thanks for a well thought out reasonably priced product. They will make my life easier.

dean1484
dean1484 UberDork
3/6/13 8:59 p.m.

Well got the specs on my 924s

Bolt pattern 5x130
Studs 14x1.5
Hub center bore 71.5

So looks like I am good to go on the 924s

Mustang
Bolt pattern of 5x4.5 / 114.3
Mustang is 1/2" studs = 12.7 mm ? Will this be to much slop for it to work?
Hub center 70.5

This looks like it would be a bit sloppy. I am sure it would bolt up I am not sure just how well it would center up Looks like I need some 14 mm studs and lugs for this to work. Then I would have to deal with the rims and if the 14 mm studs would work with those. I am not sue I want to deal with changing that around. Hummmmmmm.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/6/13 10:22 p.m.

Dean, you need some collars to slip over those 1/2 studs That might actually work - know anyone with a lathe?

mxseven
mxseven New Reader
3/7/13 12:18 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Supplying nuts to replace the lug nuts is, I believe, already happening...

Actually, Keith, to clarify, separate nuts are not being supplied on the latest version, but flat washers that have a tight fit to either 12mm or 14mm studs WILL be supplied, to protect both lugnuts (should you choose to use them), and the hub plate itself.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/7/13 12:25 p.m.

There you go, right from the madman designer himself. Thanks Mark.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
3/26/13 10:59 p.m.
mxseven wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Supplying nuts to replace the lug nuts is, I believe, already happening...
Actually, Keith, to clarify, separate nuts are not being supplied on the latest version, but flat washers that have a tight fit to either 12mm or 14mm studs WILL be supplied, to protect both lugnuts (should you choose to use them), and the hub plate itself.

Perfect. These stands are the real deal. You're totally right about the spiral being more susceptible to misalignment from impacts.

SpeedTheory
SpeedTheory Reader
12/12/13 12:39 p.m.

Well, my desire to pick these up went completely down the tubes.

A friend placed an order for them, the shipping was something exorbitant, but he'd dealt with it. Then gets an email later on asking for $125 to ship them (AFTER he'd already been quoted a different, not quite as absurd) amount to get them shipped. Offering something at a good price then extorting them on shipping is a ridiculous bait-and-switch tactic.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/12/13 1:06 p.m.

Without knowing the specifics of an order from a friend of a forum poster with a pseudonym...

A pair of these weighs 56 lbs. They are expensive to ship, that's simply a fact of life. Sending a pair to LA would cost about $45, or $67 to NY. And yes, it would cost about $125 to ship a set of four to NY from Colorado. That's 112 lbs worth of stuff moving about 2000 miles. I picked LA and NY because they're big population centers, rural addresses would cost more.

We don't jack up part prices to hide the true cost of shipping, they cost what they cost. We could offer free shipping if we charged $450/set, but we don't think that's fair. Especially to people who pick them up at our shop.

Multiple shipping quotes don't make sense unless something was changed or unless our website was a bit off for some reason. If your friend was asking for expedited shipping and ordered online, that's quite possible. That's why we never charge anyone's credit card until we've confirmed the shipping.

Speedtheory, please contact me with some details so I can look into this.

BTW, bait and switch is a type of fraud, and not what you are describing here.

Johnny2Bad
Johnny2Bad New Reader
12/12/13 1:38 p.m.

With heavier items, truck freight is usually the least expensive. Find a commercial loading dock who will accept the shipment for you, otherwise there's a surcharge. Work address, someone you know with a business, etc

Another option is have it shipped via an account your employer might have. It will have a discount built in.

FM probably have an account with one or more shippers and depending on volume there is usually a discount so it pays to use who they use, but it never hurts to shop the specific package around … there are holes in the rate card due to competitive reasons and your specific package sometimes fits one.

It's not reasonable to expect the shipper to spend a lot of time on this so just do it yourself and let them know which carrier you want them to use. Give them the details you found so everything goes smoothly.

In my experience FM gets a little Squirrelly with any non-standard shipping arrangement but eventually they come around. I know what Keith is going to say … he's said it to me over the phone … but I always managed to get my stuff.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/12/13 1:44 p.m.

Just FYI, we don't allow people to ship on their own accounts. It can (and has) come back to bite us if there are irregularities.

We ship via truck all the time with things like engines, but I'd be surprised if it made sense for this sort of package. I'll ask our shipping people.

Johnny2Bad
Johnny2Bad New Reader
12/12/13 1:56 p.m.

Another thing about truck freight … you want a carrier that accepts at the pickup and delivers at the destination. If getting it there involves two trucking companies, you pay twice which is expensive. Yellow Freight is usually OK.

Any time you get to the near-100 lb area … it varies but I've seen it work out best as low as 60 lbs vs UPS / FedEx / etc … truck freight is worth checking out.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
njGibtrqjrcVUqOEzsuMdfbQ2PDjztpGEptUc73wWAJ4j9wZN8WNhIlKnHi18kp4