1 2
mainstreettattoo
mainstreettattoo New Reader
10/31/20 8:06 p.m.

Finally got my engine built. Ran it to break in the cam and found the oil pan flooded with fresh antifreeze. Any suggestions 

APEowner
APEowner Dork
10/31/20 9:01 p.m.

That sucks.  My, my first guess would be an intake leak.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
10/31/20 9:06 p.m.

Welcome to the forum! Don't be discouraged, everyone has setbacks. You will learn something.

My suggestion is to provide a lot more information. How much coolant in the oil? If a lot then intake leak suspect as APEowner mentioned. Who built? What partswas the engine built with? Which gaskets? How long was it run? Was the cooling system operational when you ran it? Overheat? Etc. Etc. Etc. I saw aluminum heads etc. in another thread pic you posted. Only things that caught my eye right away was that I didn't see a PCV set up and carb stud would poke the hood.  Did you pull the plugs after the break in run and inspect them? If one or more was steam cleaned that might give you a clue.

There's a lot of knowledgeable people here who would like to help but need some info to help you start narrowing the possibilities. It'd be like me me posting "My weld sucks what could be the cause?" and you reading my post, you'd want more info.

mainstreettattoo
10/31/20 9:15 p.m.

It was only run for about an hour total over the last 6 months. 10 min today it started getting a little hot so I shut it down at around  220° and drained about a gallon of antifreeze out before the oil started to come.   there is a pvc setup and this was the break in and I built the engine myself with a little help from blue monkey preference engines.  

mainstreettattoo
10/31/20 9:17 p.m.

mainstreettattoo
10/31/20 9:21 p.m.

It has a Crower flat tap cam also the hood fits lol its a 76 nova ss 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
10/31/20 11:04 p.m.

A gallon in 10 minutes is quite a bit. Might want to pull the intake & have a look. Was the block decked? Heads shaved or other things that could throw off the angles of the intake to head mating surfaces?

mainstreettattoo
11/1/20 6:26 a.m.

The plan is to pull the intake this morning ill post pics as I go. Fingers crossed its here and I don't have to pull the heads 

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/1/20 7:31 a.m.
mainstreettattoo said:

The plan is to pull the intake this morning ill post pics as I go. Fingers crossed its here and I don't have to pull the heads 

Might as well to have a look. It's just gaskets.

You're more than likely going to need new bearings as well.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/1/20 8:06 a.m.

There's a blue hose attached to valve cover on RH side. What is the other end of that hose attached to? Need a pic of that.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/1/20 8:24 a.m.

Your pcv is attached to a coolant port.  

mainstreettattoo
11/1/20 8:25 a.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

There's a blue hose attached to valve cover on RH side. What is the other end of that hose attached to? Need a pic of that.

Pvc   to manifold 

mainstreettattoo
11/1/20 8:28 a.m.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
11/1/20 8:28 a.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

Your pcv is attached to a coolant port.  

Looks like this!  ^^^

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
11/1/20 8:35 a.m.

That's your water crossover, not intake.

mainstreettattoo
11/1/20 8:37 a.m.

So there's 2 water intakes?

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
11/1/20 8:39 a.m.

Your pic came up while I was posting. Plug that water port on the manifold. It's typically used for water temp sensor. The hose from PCV should attach to a 3/8" port you probably have at the base of the carb or on an intake runner. DO NOT combine the hose for a power brake booster and the PCV with a T or whatever on the same full intake vacuum port or the brake booster won't get enough vacuum.

mainstreettattoo
11/1/20 8:40 a.m.

I hope i didn't ruin this engine 

mainstreettattoo
11/1/20 8:41 a.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Thanks I just blew through the hose and antifreeze came out 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
11/1/20 8:44 a.m.

Most carbs will have a 3/8" tube on the back of it at the base with a plastic cap on it you can easily pull off and then stick the PCV hose on it.

11/1/20 8:45 a.m.

In reply to mainstreettattoo :

Where the blue hose attaches to the intake right next to the thermostat housing: that port goes into the coolant crossover, not a vacuum port.

Sometimes that port is used for a temp gage sensor, sometimes it's used for a temperature-controlled vacuum switch, sometimes it's plugged, and some manifolds don't even have that port at all.

If you've just got a 90-degree open fitting there, that probably the path your coolant is following to get into the crankcase.

EDIT: you could pull the pan and pull the main caps to have a look at the bearings. Worst case you need to tear down and replace cam bearings, in addition to main and rod bearings. Me, I'd plug that coolant port, route PCV as NOTATA said, change the oil, refill the coolant, and run it for a bit to see if it rattles smokes or has low oil pressure. You might get lucky.

mainstreettattoo
11/1/20 8:47 a.m.

The break booster is attached to that port 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
11/1/20 8:52 a.m.
mainstreettattoo said:

I hope i didn't ruin this engine 

It's probably fine if you didn't run it long. I've worked a a couple automotive machine shops and have seen similar things happen to people we just built engines for. You're not the first and won't be the last.

mainstreettattoo
11/1/20 8:54 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Going to do that now 

11/1/20 8:54 a.m.

Got a top-down pic of the intake without the carb on it? There might be a plugged vacuum port behind the carb that can be unplugged and used for PCV or brake booster, depending on location.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cFz65w3FQjnQZdTDj4QIZxnq23Q5TDdgZ6JsVItSYCrQSzc4j0j7QPo5T2ZhYPK6