1 2
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter)
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/27/21 8:51 a.m.

Home Depot has the 5000# unit just over $1000 and the 7000# unit a little over $1200.  Those seem like fantastic prices and for that little I am considering grabbing one while they are on sale.

My original plan was to buy a 4 post lift but my ceilings are around 9 feet so I've learned it's just too low to really use one (I wanted to put one car in the air and another under).

Now that I've abandoned that plan the QJ seems at least like an easy way to get the cars off the ground when I need to pull the wheels.  Any QJ owners on here with input on either unit?  Thanks!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
11/27/21 10:32 a.m.

This thread still seems to see the occasional post: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/ranger-quickjack-do-we-have-any-updated-opinions/111343/page1/

I still like mine, although one of the fittings at the pump has started leaking. I do also want a lift, but in the meantime this one works pretty well. Then again, if I have to drop an engine or gearbox out of one of my cars, there isn't that much room underneath. Should still be doable.

I see it mostly as a substitute for jackstands and a jack, and it works pretty well in that role.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
11/27/21 10:44 a.m.

I'd much rather have a set of MaxJax's.  Granted they're more expensive but they also give quite a bit more utility and work just fine in a lower ceiling garage.

My friend has quickjacks and I felt pretty claustrophobic under the car...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/27/21 11:42 a.m.

They work really for my use case - they go to the track with me regularly and have supported (har har) a lot of FM product development such as when we're swapping shocks out in the pits to test valving. They're basically a taller, faster, more secure alternative to jackstands. At home, I use then occasionally even though I have a full lift. 

Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter)
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/27/21 8:13 p.m.

Thanks as always for the input.  After giving it some thought I ordered the 5000# unit.  I intended to get the 7000# but they sold out, and all but one of our vehicles is under 4000# so I think it will suit me fine.  At under $1100 I consider it a bargain!

While I was at it I ordered a 6-piece garage storage setup that was a deal too.  I'm excited to get the new garage set up (going from a tiny 1-car to an over-size 2-car).

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/28/21 11:00 a.m.

I love my 7000.  Its small enough that i forget i have it. Then i remember i have a sweet lift when i need it and my back, knees, etc all get the happies. 

eurotechms
eurotechms New Reader
1/3/22 11:00 a.m.

I worked with Bendpack/Quickjack on several projects and use Quickjacks in my professional shop. My personal Quickjacks are four years old and have been heavily used and still work great. For the price its a game changer in a garage or shop. 

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
1/3/22 1:55 p.m.

Do these require an air compressor to use? 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/3/22 2:04 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

No, they're hydraulic and come with a pump.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/3/22 2:50 p.m.
docwyte said:

I'd much rather have a set of MaxJax's.  Granted they're more expensive but they also give quite a bit more utility and work just fine in a lower ceiling garage.

My friend has quickjacks and I felt pretty claustrophobic under the car...

pssst, you can take them out once its up in the air and use regular jackstands if you need more room.

Like any tool, they aren't for every situation, so choose what works best for what you're doing.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/3/22 3:36 p.m.

At maximum height, they're more stable than jackstands.

If you're working under the car, you don't want to be much higher than that anyhow as you'll be lying on your back. Or you want to stand up, which means a full lift. Anything in between is crouch city.

If you're working on suspension/brakes, having the car at about peak MaxJax height is useful. When doing that on a QuickJack, I usually sit on a stool beside the car and it works pretty well.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
1/3/22 5:38 p.m.

I bought a set at thanksgiving also and set it up over Christmas. Super stoked that the struts on my wife's minivan and trans fluid on the same are needed this weekend; going to test it out!

RACEC4R
RACEC4R Reader
1/6/22 1:36 p.m.

Though you already bought them, I have the 5000 and I love it.

I was doing a ton of test fitting for wheels/flares/tires and going up/down/up/down at all 4 corners was critical, and this was a god send.

I use them frequently, and would highly recommend at the price point and constraint when you CANNOT have a full lift.

Max Jacks are neato, but there are requirements for pad thickness/mounting.  So not apples/apples.

Berck
Berck New Reader
1/12/22 12:30 a.m.

I like mine, but I got it used for a great price.  I don't know that I'd think it's worth full retail price.  The advantage depends on how easy a car is to put on jack stands.  For my Miata, I'd just as soon use jack stands as they're easier to move around the garage and it's really easy to put the Miata on jack stands by jacking each side from the center of the car.  It's the Focus RS where the quick jacks really win for me.  With the Focus RS, the only good jacking points are also where you want to put the jack stands.  So I always needed to jack in very suboptimal locations to get the jack stands safely where they needed to go, often with multiple shifting around.  With the quickjack an the ability to have the car both lifted and supported from the approved jacking points, this isn't a problem.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/12/22 12:46 a.m.

Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered one. FYI you can apply military discount to it as well wink

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/12/22 10:11 a.m.

Well hot dang, the sale is over already!! Glad I ordered mine.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/25/22 8:58 p.m.

Update!

It arrived! It wasn't supposed to until 2/16 so that's nice. The delivery company was supposed to text me 30 minutes before arrival and did not. In fact, they dropped it on front of my garage and left. Didn't even ring the bell!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/25/22 11:35 p.m.

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
1/29/22 9:06 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

And?  Used them yet?  What did you think?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/29/22 9:14 a.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

Haven't had a chance to set them up yet because the week was so busy. I will this weekend!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/12/22 5:00 p.m.
Noddaz said:

In reply to Javelin :

And?  Used them yet?  What did you think?

Not a fan...

And to be clear, it's leaking at the crimps, not the threads (well there's leaks at the threads, too). This is with no pressure in the system.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/12/22 5:42 p.m.

Ranger is usually pretty responsive, have you contacted them?

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
2/12/22 5:50 p.m.

Mine took three times tightening before they didn't leak at the threads, all good now and no leaks anywhere else.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/12/22 6:32 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

They are closed today. 

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/12/22 6:33 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

It's coming out of the crimps. I presume the pump is wrong and making too much pressure?

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
lhxePr4E7cHzAOlsJhPa1BRPeNTrYMznmZmidb5LWJPKcCDwakjAObIGvAQesvDA