Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
8/24/21 8:44 a.m.

I feel like this you guys are pretty savvy group so im sure you have already seen or know about this one. But I spent a bit of time and money and really turned a free filing cabinet into a "real" toolbox for my garage. No one even bats an eye at ut until I show them its actually a filing cabinet. 

Filing Cabinet Toolbox  

A quick rustoleum paint job and some 3m adhesive chrome and it looks pretty awesome in my opinion. I use it to store large tools, buffers, air tools, paint guns. Heck I even hide my cut 50 plasma down in the bottom!

Everyone's  complaint is that it won't hold much weight but I think most will be surprised. Just think about how much weight one of those drawers would be loaded down with paper!

Anyway hopefully someone finds this idea useful!

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
8/24/21 8:51 a.m.

In reply to Skervey :

Ours aren't as pretty, but this is what we use at the office for larger tools. They work well and the drawer slides are designed for a lot of weight. 

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
8/24/21 9:07 a.m.

I have tried a number of different types and found that they just don't hold up well. They are good for a short term solution but that's it.

YMMV 

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and MegaDork
8/24/21 9:14 a.m.

In reply to Donebrokeit :

Hmm, mine are 10+ years old and still working fine. 

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Dork
8/24/21 9:20 a.m.

Yep, you have to get the old school ones - not the Target / office max "HON" ones.  I have one from Boeing that I use to hold all my bolt compartment boxes:

They stand up vertically and I I can pull them out by the handle as needed.  The drawer dividers leave enough room in the back to hand tools or other low use stuff.

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
8/24/21 9:23 a.m.

My garage has 4 file cabinets filled with tools and supplies. 

They hold up fine and having the storage vertically leaves more floor space.

hobiercr
hobiercr UltraDork
9/10/21 5:50 p.m.

when I make room in my shop I want to get a 5 drawer vertical with flip-up fronts. Perfect for paint storage.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/10/21 6:45 p.m.

One of these days, I'm going to take a few hours to get my tools out of the 7 or 8 various plastic buckets (and floor) and put them away. A big file cabinet would be nice.

Our Preferred Partners
m5mkGeFvdzWBZYXwuQHHerYyYlZ47tlB1aBlLEXYwaebEsTqojgpRvNdolnMGS6B