chiquito1228
chiquito1228 Reader
2/9/23 11:38 p.m.

Redoing my garage cabinets. Looking for ideas on cabinets or floating shelves. I was thinking of using old kitchen cabinets and painting them dark grey or black. Am just looking for ideas.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
2/10/23 12:32 a.m.

I made my own back when plywood wasn't gold.

Cabinets are 2' wide, 2' deep, and a full 8' in height.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/10/23 7:34 a.m.

I have a bunch of old steel kitchen cabinets in my garage that were installed by the previous owner after a kitchen renovation.  If you can find them, vintage steel cabinets are nice. 

That said, I have seen numerous videos and articles about using flat-pack kitchen cabinets from a home center for garage storage. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
2/10/23 8:33 a.m.
ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
2/10/23 9:15 a.m.

I picked up one of these from HF for chemical storage and I am happy with it. It is a bit pricey if you are looking to get a bunch them though. 

chiquito1228
chiquito1228 Reader
2/10/23 1:32 p.m.

In reply to ChrisTropea :

I has thinking of the hf ones. But i feel like i would loose storage on this corner.

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
2/10/23 2:03 p.m.
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) said:

I made my own back when plywood wasn't gold.

Cabinets are 2' wide, 2' deep, and a full 8' in height.

Those look great!

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
2/10/23 2:18 p.m.

I hade some vintage steel kitchen cabinets in one of my shops and they were great.  Standard kitchen cabinets and the consumer grade garage cabinets like the ones from H are too fragile for the stuff I put in garage cabinets and commercial grade units like those from Lista are way out of my price range so I built mine.  I used 2 x 4 framing with 1 by face frames.

One of the advantages of building your own is that you can maximize the use of space.  For example, it would have been challenging to find ready made cabinets that fit around the welders and windows in my shop.

Corner cabinets are challenging.  There's hard to reach dead space in mine but I've got some engine blocks in the bottom one and cylinder heads in the top.  Things that I need space for but I'm not going to need on a regular basis.  The angled cabinet on the bench holds my oscilloscope and bench DVM in the top part and my granite surface plate and microscope in the bottom.  There's enough room in front of the lower cabinet that I can slide the stuff in there out onto the bench without having to lift it up.

jimgood
jimgood Reader
2/11/23 9:09 a.m.

I haven't done cabinets yet. If I ever do, they're going to have glass/plexiglass fronts so I can see what's in them. I have yet to see anything that's reasonably priced though. For a while I was regularly checking the local Habitat for Humanity store to see if they had any kitchen cabinets like that.

DennisDoesEverything
DennisDoesEverything New Reader
2/12/23 11:32 a.m.

I turned one wall of my garage into a French cleat wall.  I found the most economical way to build large shelves (at least while plywood was expensive) was to use stair toppers.  You get 4'x11" and a full one inch thick, bullnose edge, and mostly not warped for $9.99.  Later I added another French cleat to the opposite wall and put two more stair topper shelves over my workbench.

I also found you can get similar Amish-made shelves on Amazon which is a big time saver at the cost of just a little more money.  Only 1/2 plywood though but less weight to hang by the same token.  Just have to glue your own French cleat on the back.

I thought I wanted cabinets but decided doors were overrated.

Edit: fat fingered attaching the pics

chiquito1228
chiquito1228 Reader
2/12/23 9:01 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

thats looks real good. Wish i had the patience to build my own cabinets

chiquito1228
chiquito1228 Reader
2/12/23 9:02 p.m.

In reply to DennisDoesEverything :

This would be a good idea to organize the attic in the garage.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/12/23 9:06 p.m.

In reply to ChrisTropea :

Having one of those might be a good idea for safety.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/13/23 10:12 a.m.

I used Ikea tall kitchen cabinets. Used take outs and some paint can go a long way though!

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
2/13/23 11:52 a.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/the-toilet-a-shop-story/160018/page3/ 

I have been slowly gathering metal cabinets and cleaning up my area.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kFMuww8oPg4Wfe1FRJ8SFCftEEBiWdCpfe1ht2UzC5HwskihL5Uwup39phQCbhM8