New York Nick
New York Nick Reader
6/6/21 11:16 a.m.

I have a 95 Suburban that had a bad AC compressor when I bought it. I paid a reputable shop to do the whole job which was basically every part of the system ($800) it was good for the first year, weak and a bit noisy the second year. Second year was summer of 2020 and I probably only drove the truck 1,000 miles so it wasn't an issue. I take it out for the summer this year and nothing. 

I remember reading in one of the other GMT400 threads about a newer style AC compressor for these trucks that is more reliable and less power hungry. I searched all the threads I thought I saw that on and I can't find it.  Can anyone point me in a good direction on this issue? I am T- 4 weeks before a long road trip and I need to have good AC in the truck for it. 

I appreciate the help of the hive. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/6/21 11:27 a.m.

In for the replies. My 88 Silverado probably needs a full AC replacement. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/6/21 12:23 p.m.

Scroll compressor. 

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/r4-scroll-compressor-experience.45898/

I went with a later vortec style accessory drive and compressor. 

Some guys also swap a sanden 508 in

New York Nick
New York Nick Reader
6/6/21 2:15 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. I will do some research this week and update how my visit to the AC shop on Thursday goes. 

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
6/6/21 3:21 p.m.

This is for pre-Vortec stuff, right?

Mine's a '98, I think its an HT6 style compressor. The original was leaking from the case, the junkyard replacement I have now is leaking out the front seal. I have a nice stripe of dye flung around the engine bay.

In reply to Run_Away :

Correct. 

Theres a sanden upgrade to the virtec stuff i found too, but am too fried to go hunting at the moment. Wanna say sd7 or something. 

New York Nick
New York Nick Reader
6/6/21 5:42 p.m.

I have been googleneering this for a little bit, Seems like there are kits for 91-93 and 96 up. Any more clues on 95? I am going to keep hunting for information. I may just buy a Sanden 508 to see if it is feasible and return it if I can't use it, Not really the way I want to lead into this but this would be the 4th compressor in this truck since I have owned it.

6/6/21 5:48 p.m.

I wasn't hoping to see that I would have to replace my entire front bracket and pulley assembly for my 88 TBI to the later Vortec version in order to upgrade the compressor. 

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

You can do the 508 swap and its very similar. They even make a kit!

Nick: lines are different. Brackets will be the same, but hoses on the kit may not work. 

New York Nick
New York Nick Reader
6/6/21 6:02 p.m.

Thanks again. I was wondering what the difference was, I didn't have a Vortec to look at to see how the AC is mounted and plumbed. 

I also have to track down the rear AC and see what else is different.

6/7/21 10:50 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

You can do the 508 swap and its very similar. They even make a kit!

Nick: lines are different. Brackets will be the same, but hoses on the kit may not work. 

All of the kits I'm finding are for LS swaps. I'm not that ambitious, and the mega high mileage 350 still runs great. 

I did find these brackets, might be one that would work:link

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/7/21 10:53 a.m.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/346002.html

6/7/21 11:24 a.m.

That's the answer! Thanks! 

New York Nick
New York Nick Reader
6/10/21 12:00 p.m.

Update on my truck. Good news, compressor is fine. Tech evacuated the system and recharged, identified a leak in the line but while it was charged he verified the front AC is working correctly. That's all good news. He then told me that his parts suppliers don't offer those lines or the rear AC (Accessory AC) Condenser. So I am off to searching for parts.

New York Nick
New York Nick Reader
6/10/21 12:33 p.m.

OK, all parts found, $428 plus shipping for the parts. I can probably install it right down to the tie in to the system at the front of the truck and then the shop would just need to evacuate again, tie it in and then recharge. I wonder if it is worth the cost (probably looking at an extra $500-600) to keep the rear AC versus just the front? 

New York Nick
New York Nick Reader
6/18/21 10:35 p.m.

I ended up getting all of the parts, I installed new rear evaporator and lines today. The job wasn't too bad until you get to the firewall where you have to snake the lines up to the engine compartment. I got it but that was not super fun. Back to the shop next week for evacuation, connection and refill. After leak checking I will put the interior back in the back. I am at about 4 hours to get to this point, Not terrible but not for the faint of heart I guess. 

Sweet bonus, noticed I have dry rot in the treads of my tires while I had it on jack stands. That giant sucking noise I hear is the sound of money leaving my wallet! I guess it still beats payments though.

6/18/21 10:47 p.m.

I ordered the entire system with the Sanden compressor from Classic Industries. 

It's a special order and I don't know how long it will take to get here, but I am looking forward to getting it done. 

9/15/21 4:39 a.m.

Update on my order: three months and no parts or any updates. I canceled the order.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/15/21 6:34 a.m.

That sucks! Ive got a sanden 508 if you want to roll your own.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aBpOXPLxYSAAfxtJfIcN1TUNQyaCquwCv7mLFTULNEP80PW8Mfv4inSnZ9V6y56p