Paqman
Paqman
11/20/22 12:05 p.m.

So I work from home now. I don't drive much anymore, outside of errands and the weekend. My 2010 Maxima sits in the garage a lot, and due to a kind of poor remote start install, I have a very small power draw. Over the last year or so I've tried tracking it down, but never could and have kind of given in and just leave it on a tender now. Honestly, it's such a small draw, I could go a year or two before the battery dies (which is how I discovered it in the first place), but I like to keep the battery healthy. 

Well my old battery tender has been great, but I always have the pigtail sticking out from under the hood, so it's a bit of an eye sore, and my wife has occasionally forgot to disconnect it. I have it tied around a post so it doesn't really hurt much if it gets tugged out, but still not great. 

So I'd like to get a better, more permanent maintainer. And I'd like it if I could find some sort of magnetic connector that I could hide in the grill, that could easily disconnect if someone just drove away and forgot to unplug it. 

Any recommendations? I have found this connector that they sell for all different maintainers, but it's $160 just for the connector lol. 

Would like recommendations for decent maintainers, (better tender has always been good, just wondered if you like others better), and if you know of any good magnetic connector solutions. Thanks! 

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
11/20/22 12:14 p.m.

Yeah, $160 is a bit spendy. I had a similar situation with my kids forgetting to unplug the block heater cord. I got into the habit of looping the cord over the driver side mirror. That was my cheap and easy solution. 

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
11/24/22 9:19 p.m.

How about attaching one of these magnets to your plug? They are really strong. They are not $160

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/30/22 9:47 a.m.

Some talk about battery maintainers here:

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) UberDork
11/30/22 10:03 a.m.

I love my noco battery maintainers, bought because I went lithium in a bunch of bikes and have liked it so much I bought another plus I bought a bigger model. 

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
12/8/22 3:42 p.m.

You are possibly overthinking this.

Leave a 3"x5" index card covering the cluster reminding someone to disconnect the charger.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
12/8/22 3:54 p.m.

2 amps per pin, 5-12 volts. Click the image. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/8/22 3:58 p.m.

Option 1: disconnect the battery when you plug it into the maintainer. No way you're going to get away with that :)

Option 2: 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5MYwU3TeqLLg5WacunoHbMYhu3iBeLpF1GCTQynJrIYS9R87jjD5MpOT8xfCCiO4