Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/4/18 1:46 p.m.

Our 35th birthday is coming up. To celebrate, we decided to count the number of Miatas that have been owned by Flyin' Miata or by FM staff members.

We're counting cars that have significant Miata content - Exocets, for example - but not cars that went through FM salvage just as parts cars. Miatas that have had multiple FM staff owners only get counted once. Cars that have seen massive transformations - the Red Rat into the Track Dog - only get counted once. Cars that were owned before or after a staff member worked here don't count, only those that were owned during their employment.

Who wants to venture a guess?

Gratuitous photo of some of the current fleet - including the 1990 that started this all back in 1989 - in front of the shop.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/4/18 1:48 p.m.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap HalfDork
9/4/18 1:48 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/4/18 1:51 p.m.

I'm just going to point out that this is not Atlanta or Florida, so $500 Miatas don't happen unless they've got no salvageable parts on them whatsoever.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
9/4/18 1:59 p.m.

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
9/4/18 2:00 p.m.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/4/18 2:09 p.m.

Wait your 35th birthday?  I just turned 35 this weekend.  And I was born well before the Miata (I think).  What gives?

Also my guess is 35.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/4/18 2:14 p.m.

I'm going to say 63. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/4/18 2:16 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Wait your 35th birthday?  I just turned 35 this weekend.  And I was born well before the Miata (I think).  What gives?

Also my guess is 35.

Not everyone does the math :)

We started as a Porsche/Audi/VW service shop, but got into Miatas in 1989. We're still the same company with the same owner, but dropped the German car service in 1996 to do Miatas exclusively.

https://www.flyinmiata.com/us/history.php

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/5/18 10:00 a.m.

Answer: 54. It's possible we missed one or two, but that's what we came up with.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/5/18 10:17 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Using Price is Right rules, Run_Away is the winner. What does he win? You did not specify the prize.wink

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/5/18 10:33 a.m.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who defaults to Price Is Right rules!

I did not specify a contest! laugh

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
9/13/18 7:44 a.m.

54! Damn! 

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/20/18 1:40 p.m.

54?   Well it looks like you have me beat by 52!  

Floating Doc
Floating Doc HalfDork
10/3/18 9:06 a.m.

54! I'm glad I finally got one!

And now that I do have that one, I'm really glad that Flyin Miata happened. Aftermarket support and the popularity of the platform was a big factor in the decision.

ToySnakePMC
ToySnakePMC
10/20/18 10:31 a.m.

Maybe my first post...   full-time lurker after Seth started the AMG thread-of-recovery.   But, my heart warmed slightly when I saw Keith’s thread title and had to chime in.

My first Miata was a brand new 1991 that arrived at the Orangeburg SC dealer 6 weeks after putting down my deposit.   $13,900 for white base model with dealer installed AC (because no AC included in that package, nor PS or PW.  — My kind of car!

Oh well, 18 since then.  Lots of sad $1200-2500 ones that I brought back to life or fumigated, or just loved on until I sent most of them back to Craigslist ready for new adventures!  Got 3.8 now:  LS2 powered 1994 and a few others I like!    Awesome cars to say the least.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8E5JUxZtzpaB3VfLlcZBcYivvSHe5Es6mO8zhIIrwlsnTWCjlY1XY8VfrVhCzn2h