Lof8
Lof8 Dork
8/20/19 8:39 p.m.

These seem like a reasonable, cost saving alternative to air conditioning. I know the “Big Ass Fans” are pretty expensive but “Big Air Fans” brand seem to be more economical. Anybody have experience with these or others?

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
8/20/19 8:50 p.m.
Lof8
Lof8 Dork
8/20/19 8:57 p.m.

The reviews on the 72” model are a bit better. 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
8/20/19 9:08 p.m.

The negatives seem to be that they don't move much air, and they die after a year.    I would beware.

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
8/20/19 10:16 p.m.

How could you not get the Big Ass Fan? Never heard a bad thing about them aside from the price. 

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
8/21/19 5:44 a.m.

They cost thousands of dollars. That’s a bit of a deterrent for me. 

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
8/21/19 9:12 a.m.

A garage journal thread has directed me to this one.  Looks promising.

Home depot fan

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/22/19 10:47 a.m.

You only have to buy the BAF fan once, but you get to use it for years. It's what I decided to do.

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
8/22/19 11:31 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

^THIS^

And this is coming from a cheap SOB.   Spending over $300, and then buying another fan in a year or two.

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
8/22/19 11:36 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

You only have to buy the BAF fan once, but you get to use it for years. It's what I decided to do.

How much was your BAF?  Unfortunately, I just don’t have the budget for one at this point. I’m likely going to try the Home Depot $360 unit. I’ll report back later. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/22/19 1:57 p.m.

I forget exactly, but I think the price started with “3”. It came on a pallet. They’re industrial equipment intended for constant use for decades and completely silent. You can really see it when you’re putting it together. 

But yeah, that price stings. In a smaller shop, I may have done something different. A couple of their base model Haiku home fans maybe. 

Our Preferred Partners
yDx6HPt7DRdid8LexNoTFuCOV4TNMlFgCwshHAnwPNKbldEIyl7TLgGEVJdMRkHf