NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
4/23/22 4:01 p.m.

Once upon a time I was a decent mechanic. That time was about 20 years ago and I seem to be less competent than I have been since I was a teen. 

GMT900 Escalade needed a new air compressor and rear shocks. I bought them from 1a Auto and went to it today. Compressor was no big issues, check. Passenger shock out and in no problem. 
Problem 1- the new shocks have a different air connection than the old ones. It looks like a push type so I cut the old fitting off (pretty sure that was a huge mistake). So now I have a bare air line and it doesn't fit the new shock. Suggestions on recovery?

Problem 2- how the heck do you take the upper bolt out of the shock on the drivers side? There is a module where I think I want to put the socket and extension. Is there a special tool for this or do you use 2' of extension or what?

Any info / advice is appreciated as always. 
Nick

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
4/23/22 7:39 p.m.

Thinking about this a little more, I think I can pull the inner fender and maybe get a stubby 21mm on the back of the bolt or a crows foot wrench from the front side. 

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
4/23/22 8:23 p.m.

E36 M3, that's a cap. I didn't want to pull too hard. Ugh. 

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
4/24/22 2:38 p.m.

I am one that needs to just sit and think sometimes. You can get to it above the air compressor from the back. Took less than 20 minutes when I went with a new game plan. Off to Autozone to see if they have a hose fix kit

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
5/9/22 7:54 a.m.

Any luck fixing the hose??

iansane
iansane Dork
5/9/22 10:57 a.m.

Sometimes it's good to just go inside, crack a beer, and have a little marinate time. Glad you figured it out.

NY Nick
NY Nick Dork
5/9/22 5:35 p.m.

Yep. Hose kit $32. Click click done. 
the whole thing works perfect now. I just towed my camper 219 miles, level and nice. No load distribution bars needed. This truck tows awesome. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OY5z1MOdUGXoZ3DjqI64WPT4FkHFQoe1zSRlx0t5kC7zYaOHXuvSNv0GwpeP4oL9