L8brakeLou
L8brakeLou
11/25/19 12:54 a.m.

Not sure if this is even the appropriate section on the forum to post this topic. 

Short version of the story, I currently own a 97 4Runner V6 4x4 manual trans with the factory rear locker(kinda a unicorn). It has a solid frame, motor and drivetrain. The interior needs works as do all 3rd gen 4runners and it needs new suspension and the entire front end steering and suspension components replaced(tie rods, ball joints, axles and bushings). The plan was to build a fun truck for my step son and I to use to take out and explore. 

Here is where it gets tricky, I have a good friend that wants the 4runner bad and offered a trade of his 2002 VW 337 GTI that is in great shape. Has a good interior, solid motor and trans. Recent bushing replacement and new coil overs. I would use the car for some light daily duty and the occasional auto X and track day. I have a 15 TDI sportwagen already as a daily so I have my dad taxi. 

The GTI comes with a bunch of spare parts that he has collected over the years. He needs a bigger car and has always liked the 4runner since I got it. I am just not sure what to do and I am looking for some honest opinions(flame suit on stand-by). I have honestly been driving my wife crazy over this and also loosing sleep. I have been doing track days for a long time but recently took a break when life happened but things are settling down now so I would have time for it again. My step son is 11 and is showing more of a interest in sports car racing and cars in general. He does like going off road but not as much as watching race cars. 

My 4Runner has 240k and the GTI is at 160K and both have recent timing belts done and water pumps as well. 

let me have it...... 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/25/19 6:53 a.m.

I wouldn't do it- mostly because I don't trust Volkswagen. But that's me. Someone else may say different, though I don't remember anyone liking mk4 golfs around here. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
11/25/19 7:39 a.m.

I WOULD do it as the Vee Dub sounds like a better car and i hate doing bushings and suspension.   But my 14 yr old and i have already done the offroad thing and graduated on to autox/track for car fun

L8brakeLou
L8brakeLou New Reader
11/25/19 7:25 p.m.

I think I am going to do the trade, It is really tough giving up the 4runner but I live 45 minutes from Sebring and that makes it hard not owning a track car. 

I will follow up soon with either a picture of a bunch of 4Runner parts or a picture of a 337 GTI

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z2KhlDtHlzRRBgZxcP1sgrAQWrd6QcWPCVMPEtaYyZOKx8BN95Mq8ShjOMYDD6Da