rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
10/26/22 8:07 p.m.

I've got this Mark 2 Jaguar that I'm trying to put back on the road.  It came with no gas tank, so I bought 2 more Mark 2's for parts.  I now have a good gas tank that has some of the worst smelling gas I've ever been around.  Since I have to clean it anyway, I might as well try to do all I can to make sure it doesn't have to come out again.  Eastwood has a kit for around $50, or POR 15 has a kit that looks very similar for $105.  Does anyone have any experience with either kit, or any other good one that I overlooked?  

papamilad
papamilad Reader
11/7/22 11:52 a.m.

I paid a rad shop 200$ to do my datsuns fuel tank after trying and failing to do it myself. I think they used redkote

Trent
Trent PowerDork
11/13/22 1:38 p.m.

My only experience with tanks that were sealed over the rust and tar is pulling them out when they leak to do the job properly.  I probably repair 3 redkote/Kreem "sealed" tanks a year.

If you can get a clean, acid etched bare steel surface on the interior of the tank then most of the sealers will work. The 17 year old POR15 I put in my Fiat tank is still perfect.

Professionally, I use Caswell's epoxy tank sealer. I have done around 50 tanks in the last decade without a failure. For some reason their "petrol blue" color is more viscous,  yet flows better giving a thicker, more even coating. 

I send all tanks to be acid dipped before rust repair and sealing. I am lucky to have a local company that specializes in this and realize not many folks do elsewhere. 

You can do a driveway version with a gallon of Muriatic acid from home depot and hot water if you have a way to clean up afterwards.  

I have seen so, so many cars in the shop with leaky tanks or flakes of sealant clogging carburetors and fuel pumps from sealing dirty tanks. It isn't a risk we can take.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
11/21/22 3:16 p.m.

Not sure about gas tank cleaners, but I've used the Bill Hirsch gas tank sealer successfully in the past for a couple home made gas tanks:

https://www.hirschauto.com/Gas-Tank-Sealer-Repair/products/4/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EonTeXBtToJBV5nM7iKDDzH9938fxgBXBHN6NdZ36zXnjWVhPNG5SFhX9qpzvJQd