rogersgs
rogersgs
4/5/23 12:01 p.m.

Folks,

Sorry if this has been addressed before - can't figure out the search feature (is there one?).

Anyhow - any recommendations for good wheel dollys?  I see them costing from $60 to $300.  Safe is best - cheap and safe is better!  Thanks!

obsolete
obsolete HalfDork
4/5/23 12:30 p.m.

I got the cheap gray diamond plate ones, available at various retailers, all made in the same factory in China. I read some good advice on a review before purchasing them, which was to completely disassemble and thoroughly lube the casters before using. I did that and they roll smoothly and easily. Very happy for the price.

rogersgs
rogersgs New Reader
4/6/23 2:20 p.m.

Thank you!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
4/6/23 2:27 p.m.

Has anyone put better wheels on the cheap black metal car dollys from Harbor Freight?

the ones that come with them are pretty junky

birdmayne
birdmayne HalfDork
4/6/23 3:24 p.m.

I already had the HF cheap ones and some scrap wood. 

Haven't failed yet, but the car only weighs like 1500 lbs as is

Spearfishin
Spearfishin New Reader
4/8/23 8:30 a.m.

Over the course of two sales, I got the Harbor Freight version of Go Jak's and the rolling storage stand. Probably the most I've spent at Harbor Freight, but have performed pretty well for me over course of maybe 2-3 years.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/8/23 11:24 a.m.

I recently bent two of these Princess Auto jobbies, trying to push my '61 C10 over to the hoist on swept, polished concrete. 

I'm probably going to reinforce them with some angle iron.  The wheels suck if I don't hose the axles and bearings down with oil before using them.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
4/9/23 6:28 a.m.
obsolete said:

I got the cheap gray diamond plate ones, available at various retailers, all made in the same factory in China. I read some good advice on a review before purchasing them, which was to completely disassemble and thoroughly lube the casters before using. I did that and they roll smoothly and easily. Very happy for the price.

Mine are red but this. I have had no issues with them but I only have a 2k# car on them.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
4/9/23 8:29 a.m.
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) said:

I recently bent two of these Princess Auto jobbies, trying to push my '61 C10 over to the hoist on swept, polished concrete. 

I'm probably going to reinforce them with some angle iron.  The wheels suck if I don't hose the axles and bearings down with oil before using them.

With a decent lube job my HF cheapies work ok - car is only 1800# so that surely helps.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DPd6cahTg6gjN5GrdwMa5QZJrPCRfB9XNSBaCxTfcoKRLvtEpjyh1aG4Zk2qHbPM