FormulaNone
FormulaNone None
9/7/22 11:24 p.m.

I'm looking for wheel hubs for road racing, center lock or 5-lug, for a car with custom uprights. There doesn't seem to be anything out there, not even any info, except stuff for circle track cars. Does anyone know where road racing-specific hubs can be found, if such a thing even exists?

grafmiata
grafmiata UltraDork
9/8/22 5:34 a.m.

I'll go through my catalog collection this afternoon and try to find some sources for you.  But honestly, most people I know just use circle-track stuff.  It's easier to find, does the same thing, and is generally cheaper than the same components from a road-race specific supplier.  We run Wide-5's on our SCCA GT-3 Miata for those reasons.

FormulaNone
FormulaNone New Reader
9/8/22 5:45 p.m.

In reply to grafmiata :

I'd choose circle track stuff but I'm concerned about having big, heavy hubs like that and how it restricts your wheel choice a lot, so center locks and smaller 5-lug patterns like 5x4.5" seem like more interesting choices to me because lighter wheels are pretty common, but those big hubs look pretty heavy. Then again, I'm not super familiar with those hubs and the wheels for them so I could be way off base here.

Nockenwelle
Nockenwelle New Reader
9/8/22 9:02 p.m.

How about using C5/6 hubs? SKF has a special race-grade version usually needed when the Vettes start going thru them like (favorite party snack here). They seem to be a rather ubiquitous, buy-once-cry-once solution for that crowd. Easy 3-bolt attachment and ABS ring. I think JG put a set on the GRM Vette.

clshore
clshore Reader
9/24/22 11:24 a.m.

What car?
What weight?
What size wheels/tires?

Kubotai
Kubotai New Reader
9/28/22 12:27 p.m.

Fastforward Racing components (Doug Learned) has or makes a lot of stuff like that for the formula / sports racer crowd.  I don't know if he has stuff for heavier cars.  You might check with him.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/5/22 7:53 p.m.

In reply to FormulaNone :

Wide 5 is remarkably light since they are generally aluminum, and the wheels are also fairly light.  The main issues with them is that they tend to have a lot of scrub radius, since the caliper has to sit inboard of the hub, and wheel selection is not the best unless you want toilet paper roll.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1fAcxwPZw4dTJLHs1rsjBohAeJIJ5AFhC3Rnw8cHWP5HrR2WuJAlHTvW1RHekcnK