Coder
Coder New Reader
9/30/22 3:42 p.m.

I'm curious how my fellow car enthusiasts park their many projects/tow vehicles/daily drivers.  Or am I the only one that has far more cars than places to put them?  My current solution is the old redneck/bachelor favorite; in the yard, near a treeline.  I'm interested to hear thoughts on a better solution.  What has your solution been and how many projects do you have?  Do your neighbors hate you?

I have:

Vehicles

• 1966 Austin Healy Sprite (project)
  • 1966 MG Midget (project)
  • 1988 Dodge D-150 (project)
  • 1993 Ford F-250 (tow vehicle/project)
  • 2009 Hyundai Elantra (beater with a heater)
  • 2012 Jeep Wrangler (daily driver)
  • 1965 Rambler Cross Country (project that will never get done, not pictured because it's at my parent's house)

Trailers

• Car hauler that's way too long and impossible to maneuver
  • Small tilt-bed utility
  • 83 Ranger long bed home made

Maybe I have too many.  No, that can't be it.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/30/22 4:22 p.m.

I have a small yard and a crabby wife.  

It fits in the 2 car garage or in the driveway and her car is not sitting outside in a Chicago winter.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/30/22 4:38 p.m.

Two in yhe garage, two in the carport, 4 in the driveway. For two drivers. 

All but two run!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
9/30/22 5:40 p.m.

64 Corvair 'vert in the barn out back, under a car cover.

66 Volvo Amazon race car currently in the workshop.

66 Jag 3.8s in the garage behind the guest house.

Plymford and project 1800ES in the slantroof run in attached to the workshop.

Mrs. VCHs 68 Camaro and my creampuff 78 Caprice in "The Heavy Chevy Garage"

Her Traverse gets a carport and my Mazda 3 grazes in the yard near the garage. 

Chevy k3500 crew cab lives in back by the garden. 

Various parts and future resto project Volvo Amazons, a 49 Plymouth, a 64 Corvair sedan, and the Yard Art '55 Chevy truck strategically sprinkled around the yard as decor. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/30/22 5:44 p.m.

I park the BRZ in the garage, the Soul outside.

Once I get rid of my hanging CNC router of death project, I'll probably go back to parking both cars inside.  It was chilly out the other morning when I got into my car and that is just unacceptable.

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
9/30/22 5:52 p.m.

914 inside the shop

Opel just outside the shop

Tacoma and Cayman are currently parked on the flat dirt part of the drive/parking area

R is in front of the house on the street

Westy is in a storage unit about 7 miles away

Charger is at the dealer awaiting a backordered abs module, unknown ETA.

I need more real estate...

Only the R is in full op status, but the Cayman and the Taco can move and do short trips.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
9/30/22 6:41 p.m.

The Abomination is in the front garage. The Suburban, Mustang, and the Colorado are in the front driveway. The Bentley is in the back shop. Everything else is on the back driveway, in the edge of the woods or behind the shop. I do a pretty good job of keeping the worst of it out of sight and out of mind. 

Playing musical cars does get old at times. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/30/22 7:43 p.m.

4 Cars and 6 bikes in a three car garage. Plus five extra sets of wheels and enough tools to maintain them all. The shells and projects live outside if they are not being worked on. 

I am beyond jealous of the space some of you have. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
9/30/22 8:31 p.m.

I am over the moon to be finishing up a new 3-car shop. My wife is incredibly supportive, but does have some (very reasonable) limits. Nothing on blocks in the front yard, and right now there are enough projects that I'm not bringing them home from storage 'til the deferred maintenance on the dailies is done and the projects can go straight into the shop. The one-car attached garage is wood shop and storage.

Right now, at the house:

1. MGB in the driveway under a cover
  2. DD Mini in the driveway
  3. F-250 at the curb

In storage unit and waiting to pounce:

1. Wolseley Hornet
  2. BMW 2002
  3. Ranchero (which needs to find a new home)
rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
9/30/22 8:49 p.m.

In the driveway it's my work van, my wife's van, my Mazda 6, the 62 Jag, the 74 Saab, our camper, and my tractor,  in the side yard between us and the neighbors, I have the Beetle stashed away.  I'm supposed to go look at 2 more Jags tomorrow.  for the first time, I'm going to have to store cars off site.  

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/30/22 10:39 p.m.

I live in a high-rise with a secure underground parking space, so...

The FR-S and one bike (at the moment the Aprilia) share my assigned spot.

And then three other bikes, and hopefully soon the Cappuccino, share the spot I rent from a neighbor. Right now it just the three bikes here, but picture of the old Cappo for reference on how they fit...hooray for little cars!

Once I bring myself to part with the Aprilia, I can move one of the other bikes to the spot in front of the FR-S, which will make things easier to manage.

That leaves just a couple project bikes in my rented storage/shop space across town...and at the moment the new Cappuccino is parked in the warehouse at work while I get my stuff sorted...hooray for little cars, and hooray for awesome bosses!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
10/1/22 6:27 p.m.

I've got three cars in my three car garage, plus my tire trailer and 2 sets of wheels/tires, a press, an air compressor, a refrigerator, all our skis, 2 bikes, 2 motorcycles for my son and all my tools.  My motorcycle lives in the backyard shed on season, in the winter the 911 is up on the lift for winter storage and the motorcycle comes into the garage for the winter.  Technically I could fit 4 cars in the garage but I've found that whatever sits on the lift hardly ever gets used and my OCD doesn't allow for that...

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
10/1/22 9:17 p.m.

My brother owns an old warehouse...

Coder
Coder New Reader
10/2/22 4:33 p.m.

Well, it's confirmed.  I don't have too many projects.  Thanks for setting me straight!  I wish I had a large second garage.  Maybe someday.  When I was shopping for a house, the first one I looked at has 6 garage spaces.  Kinda regret skipping that one lol.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3LrgRHjXQIxYcC1imd31cuy4nYKg4ez6KOSZ9k1vVeDAxWW3WgY7X706IfE2EUJP