trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
12/12/17 7:56 a.m.

Race Sim

I recently bought the seat. Fairly cheap then others so it should have raised some red flags. So far it came with the wrong amount of bolts came with 4 needs 8 or so. The mount for the shifter, holes don't line up. Not much help with the seller and I have to pay shipping for return which is $100 or so. The other problem I am trying to figure out is the wheel is too low. This picture might be a bad angle https://ibb.co/c36PHw. Any suggestions? There is not adjustability on this rig, except the seat is on a slider. I could take the seat off the slider, but it would be less then a inch, and I probably need to move it up 3-5 inches.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/12/17 9:08 a.m.

I suspect if you started a return process through eBay stating that the item was not as described, you'd be able to return it on their dime. eBay offers buyer protections for that sort of thing. Despite me not even offering returns, I've had to pay return shipping for things if they arrived not working. The seller you bought has almost 200 negative feedbacks in the last year so another one's not a big motivator for them - they're a seriously high volume seller so negs get buried in with the positives and don't really affect their rating. (32k items listed! wow!)

I bet you could make the thing work, if you like it and want to make it work. One idea is you could cut the uprights that mount the wheel and put a sleeve on it so it's adjustable. Maybe EMT would work - it's available at Lowes and Home Depot. Get some that's the next highest diameter so the existing post will slide into it. Drill holes through both the EMT and the race seat's post so they line up. Then put long bolts through and nut on the back side. Don't overtighten it or you'll crush the tube. Drill several sets of holes and you can move it up and down. That or just drill them where you want them. If there's a gap between the EMT and the tube, you might end up with some flex - use layers of electrical tape to make up the difference maybe? If the tube is too thin to handle it you might have to put a plug inside it to keep it from crushing.

If you weld, you could weld something together to extend the tubing, but of course it's tough to weld on very thin tubing.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
12/13/17 7:43 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

No welder or skills. They finally got back to me and are going to give me $40. So I will keep it. I might try getting some scrap wood to elevate the steering wheel and to fix the shifter.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/10/18 6:32 p.m.

Remove the seat mount and drop the seat lower?  

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
1/11/18 8:19 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 : I removed the spacers and the mount and dropped as low as possible and it is still not working. I am debating about 3d printing cylinders to raise it or using the scrap 2X4. I need atleast 4", problem with the cylinder as I am not sure how stable that would be and in both situations I need a M8 bolt as it threads into the table top. I can't drill into the table top because it is plastic.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
1/31/18 1:16 p.m.

Is the wheel too low for your arms, or too low for your knees?  because I look at that and think it looks like the pedals need to go forward a bunch but the seat vs wheel relationship seems fine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vVdlZU3c4WW1aaIyz27cexFyML0pGPr5oUAVzCmljji91ghLfRaR7Bk28RUS9Dc9