BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
12/15/22 9:00 p.m.

Honestly, I was just trolling you guys a bit. I miss racing with you all.

I did fire up GT7 this last week for the first time in months. They've added a good bit to it. Road Atlanta is great. Engine swaps are fun (I have a rotary NA Miata modeled after a friend's real car). AI is still horrible. Public lobbies are hit and miss. You can finally sell unwanted cars. It's still beautiful.

Anyway, even though I'm not racing with you guys, I lurk the thread from time to time. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/15/22 9:11 p.m.

We just did a very GT style race.  Here are some highlights.

The start:

The finish

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/16/22 7:50 a.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

Hay just drop in when you can.  We will even be nice to you. laughwink

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/16/22 8:00 a.m.

For those that don't know what a delay start race is. They are four lap races with a wide difference in the cars. You pick a car and we then qualify. You then take the difference in time from your qualification lap and the slowest qualifying car and multiply by the number of laps.  Yes this seems complicated but trust me it is not. You then start the race with the slowest qualifier leaving first and the subsequent faster cars leaving by the amount of time calculated above.  If we do it right everyone ends up at the the finish line at the same time.  It is lots of fun and leads to some great racing. The rabbit chasing the turtle type racing. Or if several people pick the same car they can be battling it out in Fiat 500's with an Indy car chasing them down.     

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/16/22 9:01 a.m.
dean1484 said:

In reply to BradLTL :

We will even be nice to you. laughwink

Dean doesn't speak for all of us

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/16/22 9:02 a.m.
dean1484 said:

For those that don't know what a delay start race is. They are four lap races with a wide difference in the cars. You pick a car and we then qualify. You then take the difference in time from your qualification lap and the slowest qualifying car and multiply by the number of laps.  Yes this seems complicated but trust me it is not. You then start the race with the slowest qualifier leaving first and the subsequent faster cars leaving by the amount of time calculated above.  If we do it right everyone ends up at the the finish line at the same time.  It is lots of fun and leads to some great racing. The rabbit chasing the turtle type racing. Or if several people pick the same car they can be battling it out in Fiat 500's with an Indy car chasing them down.     

To simplify the explanation:  its bracket racing on a road course

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/16/22 3:42 p.m.

This is a great example of a finish we had three totally different cars all within fractions of a second of each other at the finish.

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
12/16/22 6:19 p.m.

I'm running laps right now in the x bow. It's fun.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/17/22 8:21 a.m.

I need to try that again. In one of the sims it is a handful. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/18/22 9:51 a.m.

So any car groups people want to try?   Also if you stumble on a good car for a series make note of it as well.   I was liking the standard Miata we ran the other day.  I liked the level of grip.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/18/22 12:12 p.m.

SSC 86 is fun.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/21/22 6:31 p.m.

Going to be jumping in early to set up some preset servers. 

What do people want to do tonight?  More of a f the 4 lap races with various cars or continue testing Z the open wheel cars?  Or test somthing completely different.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/23/22 8:30 a.m.

I posted up a big GT3 car pack on the google drive. I made it from what I have on the server. Currently up there are three GT3 cars that initial test showed to be very close.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/23/22 12:35 p.m.

In addition to the potential GT3's, we do have some pretty much ready to go series available.   Dean, you might want to put the Formula Ford car up also, so we can see if it is reasonable, it's on the Google drive now.  Maybe sub it for the Bondurant car we tried in an open wheel series?  I am sure participation might be a bit sparce next week, but we should shoot for a new series withing the first few weeks of next year.

IROC: This would be short series recreating the original IROC race.  Two races at Riverside, and a final one at Daytona.

The Caymans seem to be good for competition.

The 2002's are great (maybe to floppy for some?).  I prefer these to the Caymans (which have a bit of the street style default understeer)

Big Block Challenge: Big block Cobra's vs big block Vetts.  They are pretty equal, but the series would be older tracks, running each track twice, with drivers switching cars each week (equalizing driving each car on each track).  Tracks would include classic Daytona and classic Laguna Seca (probably Riverside, Road America....?)

Formula Ford:  Needs to be tested.  A lower powered open wheel car.   Installs under "Russell-Alex Mk. 14" (in Google folder now).  Maybe make it part of an open wheel progressive series.

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
12/23/22 12:42 p.m.

We should add a dog to the big block cars for people who have too much pace.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/24/22 12:03 a.m.

I was going to put up the car Air put up above but got sidetracked with Pro tonight and currently up is an E30 that is a hoot to drive.  The file for it is on Google drive.  I also put on google drive all the GT3 cars I have on the server that are not Kunos cars.  It is a big file (5.71 GB) so I will not be leaving that one up there for ever so people should download it now for possible future cars for a future series.

I hope to be putting the cars Air posted about up later in the weekend.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/24/22 1:28 p.m.

Did a quick test on the Formula Fords with a controller.  They are lower power, but very adjustable.  They seem to have a bit of static understeer but rather easy power oversteer because of the skinny tires.  Should be fun, close, slower racing.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/25/22 8:30 a.m.

I made another e30 that has the equivalent of a NOS button tied to the accelelerator. Lots of fun for my inner six year old but would not be a proper series race car. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/25/22 10:05 a.m.

I gave the SR20 from the drift machine a small kick in the pants and dropped it in the Group A E30 <insert Race Wars joke>.  Its a lot of fun.  I also unlocked the suspension tuning a bit, because the GrpA E30 has ridiculously stiff suspension settings (like way stiffer than the 944), and I think thats a contributing factor to not being able to apply the brakes without at least 1 tire locking.

I'm experimenting with tire temp settings so they don't get annihilated in the first lap.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/27/22 7:47 p.m.

I may join TDT tonight or work on the server not sure at the moment. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/28/22 6:46 p.m.

I am still at the office so you all can think up something to do tonight so when I get on I can make up the server quickly. I think I have the E30 that Pro made up there at the moment. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/28/22 6:48 p.m.

Actually I would not mind testing the various GT3 cars.  If everyone downloads the GT3 cars I put up we can play with those.  Maybe some short sprint races and or test the compatibility of these cars.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/28/22 11:59 p.m.

So there are GT3 cars up on the server. From what I can tell the 911 and the Lexus are the overdogs.  The Bentley may be competitive with these two but with the loading issue tonight with it and Race Brick that car may be out.  These cars were in the 1:20's - 1:21's

Most of the other GT3 cars I tested were in the 1:23-1:24 range.  I think we would get a fuller field if we went this way.

Also, there is the matter that 911 wants to kill you all the time.  I like the car but others may find it to be a PITA.  

Anyway I would like to narrow down the cars this week and do one more test next week and then we start a series (of some sort)

I will try to test as many cars as I can before next week and take notes for times and drivability.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/29/22 12:50 p.m.

My impressions - the Lexus RX-F GT3 is a good all-rounder, the easiest to drive AND the fastest of the bunch my a decent margin. Takes curbs like a rally car. Maybe if we make it a rule that you can only run hard tires with this car, we could bring it on par with the others.

The Z4 GT3 is a decent all-rounder, about as easy as to drive as the RC-F, not as quick though.

The MP4-12C GT3 is also a decent all-rounder, maybe stronger in the corners than most, but pretty hard to drive even after making a lot of adjustments. Often the first sign that you've taken a corner too hard is unrecoverable snap oversteer.

The 458 GT3 has the best cornering and braking of the bunch and isn't weak in a straight line either, but in stock form it would often surprise you with snap oversteer, especially when going over the crest at the top of the first turns at Road Atlanta. I would say it's on par with the McLaren in terms of driving difficulty, kind of the same problem, it just feels better before it all goes wrong and it tends to be a bigger surprise when it does...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
12/29/22 7:27 p.m.

Oh goodie.  Road Atlanta.  I'll hop on tonight for a little testing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LnVZUK2yBnOL0YsA4RCxniI4Kuv3F8cQRk6JWdUlg7un7my9H67qNXb3xnE8a5Gi