Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
9/3/16 9:38 p.m.

Finally a proper driving sim for the console is available. Just picked it up after work on Friday and even only having a controller right now, it really reminds me of how GTR2 was on the PC. Going to spend the money and get a wheel for it, Thrustmaster TX core unit with T28 leather wheel most likely...already have Fanatec Club Sport pedals that can work with the wheel using an adapter.

Really having fun even if the AI is pretty rediculous when using a controller...initially was running them on the default hard level, then put to medium and it is just about right. A wheel would help out immensly...

Here's a capture of me running a lap by myself on Monza after I got use to the E30 M3 racer....sometimes I miss my braking zone for Monza turn 1, this is one of those times (because speed going down the straight was faster than any previous lap)...LOL

Getting acquainted with Monza in Assetto Corsa...

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
9/3/16 10:37 p.m.

I'm a GTR and GTR2 fan from way back. Looks like the graphics aren't quite up to ProjectCars standards. How are the interface and features? That is where PCars is weak. It is a bit non-intuitive and has a few glitches. The racing, however, is very good. You also don't have to "earn" money to buy cars and all that kind of BS.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
9/4/16 3:30 p.m.
Argo1 wrote: I'm a GTR and GTR2 fan from way back. Looks like the graphics aren't quite up to ProjectCars standards. How are the interface and features? That is where PCars is weak. It is a bit non-intuitive and has a few glitches. The racing, however, is very good. You also don't have to "earn" money to buy cars and all that kind of BS.

Assetto Corsa (AC), in terms of features and interface, is probably behind any other major title you can think of - Project Cars, Race Driver Pro, Grand Turismo series, Forza Series are all better than it in every way EXCEPT for the driving aspect. None of them can touch the driving model of AC, which is like GTR2 ported over to console.

I don't particularly care for the UI of AC, reminds me of those old windows 95 based UK sims or a computer monitor menu where you use arrow keys to navigate, then select sub menus. The career racing aspect is not the best either, inferior and just thrown together compared to almost any title you can think of. When in an actual race everthing is okay except for the finish....after the final lap you are magically instantaneously transported back to grid after about 5 seconds and must wait out in the grid until all cars are finished. Also, there is no wet or night racing options available...

The reason I picked up AC was really for its driving model - I'm more of a driver and tinkerer when it comes to racing sims than a racer. I mostly like to be doing time trials or just testing in a track day type environment - just give me a car and track of my choosing and let me run it on track lap after lap, finding how it changes as the fuel goes down and tires wear down. If I really feel like actual racing, then most it will be with my preferred racing title, which has absolutely nothing to do with cars - Hydro Thunder Hurricane, the most exciting racing game I've EVER played. Project Cars is a huge dissapointment (granted I haven't tried it with a wheel), I was expecting more from the driving model of a title coming from the team who made GTR/GTR2... too arcadey in feel even if better than the Forza and Grand Turismo games.

AC has a true SIM feel, even with a controller you can tell this is not another arcadey aligned title. And even with the limited controller setup/configuration options compared to Project Cars, controlling the vehicle is much easier and natural in AC with a controller. I am using the Elite Controller (Elite X-Box One console setup), so I can setup custom response profiles for the analog sticks, custom button mapping, and have 4 removable levers on the bottom to use as paddle shifters. AC is the console title that has finally pushed me to have to get a wheel for the X-BOX One...

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
9/4/16 5:21 p.m.

I find Project Cars, with my wheel, to be very accurate with set up changes reacting like they would and should on a real car. I also like the fact that sound is very good without the fake tire squeal that games like GT6 have.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
9/11/16 3:14 p.m.

Been thinking about it more and more, so want to go to a VR headset for racing sim setup...looks like the PC version of Assetto Corsa would be excellent. VR is to the point now it would be worth it (experience wise)...haven't even looked into the cost of a VR system, but I'm sure not cheap enough yet. Video's like this are too cool to ignore though...

Assetto Corsa & HTC Vive

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
9/11/16 4:30 p.m.

I've kinda given up on AC. It's basically "Chris Harris Hotlap Simulator".

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
9/20/16 7:48 p.m.

Picked up Assetto Corsa today. First race on medium difficulty and they were lapping about 8 seconds faster than I was. Controls need some adjusting. Right now the brakes are either off or locked up, no in between. Love driving old F1 cars. That's worth the price of admission right there.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d6WBo3TXtx5T6U4rZCZRXVH1i9e8e7ifehBo1ImxFKF0y8vy3wlUUJI3f59UZuSJ