Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
10/16/17 6:06 p.m.

Hopefully this might be generally useful for the Sim Central section, but I'm going to start by layout my own situation. In terms of just the games, I'm definitely muddying the waters with other PC concerns, but I'm guessing that's not unusual.

What I have now:

• A PS3
  • An aging Lenovo E525 laptop, clealry below PC2's required specs, and *maybe* up to Assetto Corsa's minimum requirements

So, it looks like new hardware is in my future if I want to hang out with GRM (and just take advantage of the apparent strides made in sims since GT5)

Do I:

1. Buy a PS4 and just upgrade my laptop when it's demanded for my non-gaming needs?
  2. Build a desktop PC for most of my computing and gaming, and just keep the Lenovo for when I want to compute away from home?

I guess by posting this here, I'm really asking for the pros/cons of PS4 vs PC for the aforementioned games, since it's berzerk to ask anyone about my laptop/desktop need outside of games. The only other gaming I do is on the Switch (I manage to find an hour a month for Breath of the Wild, and we occasionally have drinks and Mario Kart), so anything that's not applicable to these two games is pretty much irrelevant for me. I don't know whether there are any technical distinctions that are that game-dependent, but thought I'd note it.

Or is this all marginal gains and I should I just build a new folding wheel-holder-table-thing so I can take over the living room PS3 and play GT5 by myself? cheeky (From my other thread, it sounds like it's worth upgrading, but I'm feeling the full weight of how much I need to invest in starting over in order to move up to current sims)

Thanks for your continued patience and education!

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
10/16/17 8:24 p.m.

And as long as I'm pestering you guys, looks like I have an original GT Force wheel. The first thing that occurs to me is that surely it's an improvement to have more than 200 degrees lock to lock... Have their been improvements in the quality of feel? How horrifying is it compared to a modern wheel?

Aw, crud. Looks like it's not even supported in PC2? Or Assetto Corsa... PC in either case.

Hrm... Looks like it's true for PS4 for both AC and PC2 as well...

Does the need to buy a new wheel suggest anything in terms of console vs PC? Any thoughts on which wheel to go with?

Thanks again!

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
10/16/17 9:19 p.m.

OK, those are a lot of questions!   Not sure any of us are qualified to answer them but maybe, collectively, we can offer some opinions that you can sort through.

First, a high end gaming PC - even if you build it yourself- will cost a bunch more than a gaming console like a PS4.  That said, almost any game looks better and has more features when played on a gaming computer.  That said, nobody here, that are debating the merits of various racing sims, has a gaming PC - so far as I know.  We are all on gaming consoles.  So if joining the GRM group for racing is a priority then a console is going to be the way to go.  Most of us have upgraded, or will be upgrading to PS4.  This is a fun group to race with.

Sounds like you will need a new wheel no matter which way you go and, yes, they've come a long way.  It might be possible to make your wheel work through DriveHub on a PS4, but it's a long shot.  I can't speak to Assetto Corsa.  I've never driven it.  Time for someone else to chime in...

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/16/17 9:28 p.m.

Drivehub says it supports:

• Logitech G25
  • Logitech G27
  • Logitech G29
  • Logitech Driving Force EX
  • Logitech Driving Force Pro
  • Logitech Driving Force GT
  • Logitech G920

So... probably not (the EX was after the original).

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
10/16/17 9:54 p.m.

My opinion would be to go PS4.

Personally, I would (I know this because I have... numerous times) spend significantly more on a PC.  I always up sell myself on every component.  I want to spend $700-800, and usually consider myself lucky if I only spend double that (because of all the great deals I find).

PS4 Slim - $270

Assetto Corsa - $20

Drivehub - $90

For less than $400 you are up and going.  You can upgrade wheels later.  You can upgrade AC for PC2 for $40 and come race with us online.

That's the frugal budget side of the conversation.  If you want to mod AC... then you have to go with a PC.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
10/17/17 8:53 a.m.

Cool, thanks!

Sorry for the shotgut questions; it wasn't so much about building a "gaming computer" as whether an upgraded home PC with a few considered selections (e.g. a somewhat upgraded video card?) which would improve my normal computing would also be a good platform for the sims. Kinda sounds like the favored solution is PS4, and I dig it. I think Best Buy even has a refurb or open box or something for $200. It also means my sim setup doesn't have to be next to my desk...

Is the Drivehub just to use my ancient wheel? I'm going to assume that I should just suffer the sticker shock and buy a modern wheel rather than blowing $90 just to defer it and use my antique. Or am I missing something about the Drivehub?

Any firm favorites in modern wheels?

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/17/17 9:00 a.m.

The upside of PS4 or Xbox One is its what most of the GRM guys here are set up on. 

I went gaming PC. Probably around $900 into it, and it has been great. I am running a Fantec csr wheel that is not supported on next gen consoles, although there is probably an adapter or workaround for that these days.  If I had to replace the wheel, I would probably end up with a Thrustmaster or Logitech, because the current crop of Fanatec are $$$$$$!

Xbox games are getting to the point where they are cross platform compatible with PC and Xbox, but the hard drive space and pc specs required are kind of ridiculous. My computer could probably run FH3 but it is a black hole I am not ready to go down yet.  I have a hard time finding consistent times to play games, or put a lot of time into any specific game for that matter, so lately I have a handful of games I am content to play solo when I find time  (Mad Max, American Truck Simulator, Assetto Corsa (just jumping into random lobbies or playing solo), Fallout 4, My summer Car...)

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
10/17/17 11:28 a.m.
Ransom said:

....Is the Drivehub just to use my ancient wheel? I'm going to assume that I should just suffer the sticker shock and buy a modern wheel rather than blowing $90 just to defer it and use my antique. Or am I missing something about the Drivehub?

Any firm favorites in modern wheels?

Yes, the Drivehub is to get unsupported old wheels to work on PS4 and XBOX One.  I am not certain it will even work with yours though, it may be too old.   I am not sure about new wheels, but the Fantec pedals seems to be the nicest, but a Fantec setup can be very pricey.  A Logitech G29 seems like a good middle ground to me (a newer form of the G27 I have).  If you don't want the clutch, I think there are a few cheaper ones.

Check out GTPlanet for wheel reviews and make sure to come back here and let us know what you decide:  https://www.gtplanet.net/category/hardware/

You will have to do the math.  A Drivehub is about $80, so you will need to factor that in.  You potentially could get a used wheel, but will need to add the $80 to get it to work.  A new wheel is likely the best way to go if you can swing it.  If you can find a good deal on an old wheel (especially if you are looking for a working clutch) then the adaptor might be the way to go.

Most of the GRM racers are likely going with the adaptor since we already have good money in wheels that the adaptor works with and it's a better deal then shelling out for a whole new wheel.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/27/17 12:12 p.m.

All depends on what you want to do. 

I'm in the process of putting together another sim setup, but Fanatec quit selling their intro level setup. 

So likely the Obutto Revolution and 3 monitor stand, plus the "now" entry level Fanatec which used to be the intermediate, and a hoss of a gaming PC that will play things like PC2 and Assetto Corsa at max settings on 3 27" screen.

The computer alone is going to be ~$1700-1800. 

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
11/10/17 10:43 p.m.

You know there have been a lot of adjectives use to describe PC2: "Realistic", "Challenging", "Authentic", "Engaging", "Rewarding", etc....  There is one that hasn't been used: "Fun".   Driving PC2 is hard work.  You really have to take it seriously.  Arrive and drive, casual racers will find it very frustrating.

I just fired up Asseto Corsa again.  Selected Barcelona and the Porsche Can Am 917-30K to run some laps.  That thing is really fast and twitchy.  Tons of fun and it sounds awesome.  Not PC2 kind of twitchy where you couldn't even make a lap.   I wasn't fast but I had fun with it.  That's the difference.

Air made the point that realistic doesn't necessarily mean good racing.  PC2 may be accurate to a fault in that regard.   It won't be fun unless you can invest enough time to really get good at it.   AC is fun even if you are a hack.   More fun than GTS or GT6 and way more fun than PC2.

Even though track choices are limited, it might make for a good race series.  What is more important?  Track choices?  Car choices?  Fun competition?  AC has 2 out of 3.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/11/17 11:33 a.m.

I did pick up Asseto Corsa and did some quick testing.  The most noticeable thing compared to PC and GTS is the track graphics are well below PC and way below GTS.  The cars in the rear view are just bad.  I would put the track graphics as similar to GT6, which is not horrible, but that is on PS3!  The car selection is not bad (better than GTS) but not nearly as interesting as PC. 

For driving, the first thing I did was jump into a Yellowbird and try Nurmburg GT.  I was a bit shocked to find the car very easy to drive and drift around.  I later found out that I had ABS and Stability control on!  The interesting (fun, but not realistic at all) thing is that with SC on, you can get plenty of very controllable oversteer.  I am curious Argo, if you turned off SC or not?  Once I turned of ABS and SC, the demon that is the Yellowbird returned!  In my limited driving, it seems to be a bit of a cross between GTS and PC.  It almost has the steering feel of PC, but maybe not the viscous reality (?)  Like I noted, just a limited impression, I will have to play with more cars.

It seems like a decent game, but with the small (but mostly real, unlike GTS) track selection, the somewhat limited car selection (compared to PC) and the fact that getting a decent car selection will cost you a good amount of money.  Sounds like it might be a good consideration on a PC, but on the PS4 its a "meh".

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver New Reader
12/16/17 12:49 p.m.

I'm following this with considerable interest, since my online racing to date was with a game PC, a G25 setup in various mount permutations, and for the most part, RFactor.  Online racing, when I managed to find time, was with the worthies over at SimHQ, back when there were two zeros in the year.  :-(   The Lady of the House brought her PS3 along a couple years back, and I've had some offline fun with GT5 when I had infrequent breaks. 

Now, I recently been on an upgrade binge and built up a fairly agile PC, minus a high-end video card purchase due to the cryptominers price gouging.  The Xmas sales netted a PS4 Pro for less than 1/2 the price of a 1080Ti, plus the LotH can indulge her Crash Bandicoot / Skyrim tastes.

This will pretty much be the last time I indulge myself, so the questions are sort of aligned with our thread starter's.  Do I update the G25 with a Drivehub and possibly spring for a loadcell brake kit (my ultimate 'pet peeve' of sims, brake feel), or just bite that .50 cal shell and go for new Thrustmaster / Fanatec gear?  If PC-oriented, go with PC2 / AC as mentioned?  I haven't seen mention of RFactor 2 on this forum.

Off to GTPlanet for a peek at the link provided...

Cheers!

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
12/19/17 9:35 a.m.

I can’t speak on the drivehub, Air and Argo both have one. 

Rfactor2 is good, but fairly dated at this point. I would say that Assetto Coursa is the Rfactor of the current gen. If you are going to play on PC, that’s what I would do. 

PS4s are impressive considering the price. Consoles will never beat a pimped out PC, but you couldn’t build a PC that performs as good as a PS4 for the same money. I’ve moved to console gaming because of the cost. Plus you get the ease of playing with other real people (which makes a difference when racing). 

My opinion is get the PS4, drivehub and Project Cars 2 and come race with us. 

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
12/19/17 2:42 p.m.
aircooled said:

I did pick up Asseto Corsa and did some quick testing.  The most noticeable thing compared to PC and GTS is the track graphics are well below PC and way below GTS.  The cars in the rear view are just bad.  I would put the track graphics as similar to GT6, which is not horrible, but that is on PS3!  The car selection is not bad (better than GTS) but not nearly as interesting as PC. 

For driving, the first thing I did was jump into a Yellowbird and try Nurmburg GT.  I was a bit shocked to find the car very easy to drive and drift around.  I later found out that I had ABS and Stability control on!  The interesting (fun, but not realistic at all) thing is that with SC on, you can get plenty of very controllable oversteer.  I am curious Argo, if you turned off SC or not?  Once I turned of ABS and SC, the demon that is the Yellowbird returned!  In my limited driving, it seems to be a bit of a cross between GTS and PC.  It almost has the steering feel of PC, but maybe not the viscous reality (?)  Like I noted, just a limited impression, I will have to play with more cars.

It seems like a decent game, but with the small (but mostly real, unlike GTS) track selection, the somewhat limited car selection (compared to PC) and the fact that getting a decent car selection will cost you a good amount of money.  Sounds like it might be a good consideration on a PC, but on the PS4 its a "meh".

Almost the exact same experience except I used the 917 Can Am car. Easier to drive, though less realistic. Poor track selection. PS3 level graphics.

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
12/19/17 2:46 p.m.

In reply to oldrotarydriver :

I've been using the Drive Hub without any issues with PS4 and PC2. Setup was a bit of a challenge but you only have to do that once.

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver New Reader
12/20/17 6:18 p.m.
BradLTL said:

I can’t speak on the drivehub, Air and Argo both have one. 

Rfactor2 is good, but fairly dated at this point. I would say that Assetto Coursa is the Rfactor of the current gen. If you are going to play on PC, that’s what I would do. 

PS4s are impressive considering the price. Consoles will never beat a pimped out PC, but you couldn’t build a PC that performs as good as a PS4 for the same money. I’ve moved to console gaming because of the cost. Plus you get the ease of playing with other real people (which makes a difference when racing). 

My opinion is get the PS4, drivehub and Project Cars 2 and come race with us. 

Thanks for the feedback.  PS4 Pro snagged, DriveHub should be here in time for the weekend, Project Cars 2 ... where the heck is a hard copy of the silly thing?  Most likely, I'll bite the digital bullet and D/L it directly to the PS4.  It's not as if there's a sale on the thing.

Argo1, thanks for the note on the DriveHub.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
12/21/17 2:28 p.m.

In reply to oldrotarydriver :

Send over your PSN user name and I'll add you as a friend.  Then jump into our PCars Series 2 discussion.. we are trying to pick what and where we are going to drive next.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FIRntrrVmHVlZTD5ER0HqwZXSktBA2ifmWVbhqEmppaVViL0HOBtRxWSkvoZBRR0