1 2
preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
1/14/23 11:26 a.m.

Current fleet:

PS1, PS3, X360, Wii, Dreamcast, Switch, Nintendo Mini, Original Nintendo (non-functional), Chinese controller with Nintendo games, 2 gamer desktops, gamer laptop (soon-ish to be for sim racing rig), DS3XL.

Time to play:

Zero

Currently our living room is storage since we don't watch TV but I am hoping to change that this winter into an arcade sort of deal. We have 2 40" flat screens, and a 27" tube TV (missing a power button...). I plan on setting up all three into a fun space to game.

If anyone has a functioning old universal remote please hit me up!

What have you?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
1/14/23 11:30 a.m.

Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis, N64, PS2, PS3, ~10 year old gaming laptop.  

They all run Doom.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/15/23 5:12 p.m.

You're gonna make me remember all this?

NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, switch, switch lite.

Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast.

Xbox 360, xbox1, Xbox 1x, Xbox series x 

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS5 

Gameboy, Gameboy advance, advance SP, DS lite, dsi xl, 3ds xl

Asus gaming laptop. 

NES mini, Famicom mini, SNES mini, super Famicom mini, Genesis mini, Genesis 2 mini.

I have multiples of a lot of this stuff, and quite frankly I'm forgetting some things. Currently in reach are the PS3 PS5, x1x, xsx, and both switches. Most of the rest of it is stored. 

Swmbo and I have matching 55" 4k gaming TV's in the living room, because we prefer games to tv. Usually. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
1/15/23 5:24 p.m.

Switch.

Storage chest in the basement has one of those joystick-with-three-old-games things.

Upgrading from my laptop to a gaming/video-editing-CAD desktop when I feel like I've figured out what I should get or realize I'm not learning any faster than the options are changing.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/15/23 5:49 p.m.

Intelivision.

NES

SNES

Genesis

PS2

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
1/15/23 6:26 p.m.

Currently using; Xbox series x, Nintendo switch and 2 asus laptops

Have; PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox one, xbox one S

55 or 65 tv in the basement mancave that's still coming together

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
1/15/23 6:40 p.m.

Series X, One X and a One. Middle of the road when I bought it in 2018 gaming desktop that mostly collects dust or plays old PC games I couldn't play when they were new in the early 00s.

There's a Switch floating around but I don't use it at all. 

I could argue I'm collecting pieces for an arcade/emulator machine. I have a pi, 27"tube tv, and massive collection of roms and emulators, but I haven't found any free USB arcade sticks, or useable wood, or motivation to actually put it all together. It would be cool to say I have but, but I don't know that I'd ever actually use it.

I'm hoping to add a PS 2 to the collection, but working ones have gotten expensive. I just wanna play Scarface again, and it can't run on anything else. I've used emulators and roms, the official PC release, foreign releases, but the timer in the second mission gets berkeleyed up on modern hardware so you can't finish the mission. I could probably build an XP box, but in my experience if it won't run on a VM it won't run. 

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
1/16/23 2:28 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I was waiting for you to post up. Damn son.

RevRico and I realized we both had an addiction and your name came up.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/16/23 10:19 a.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

Of course it did. 

To my knowledge there are two collectors here that have larger piles than mine. I won't out either of them because a- I think one of them got out, and b- that's up to them. 

What kills me is the stuff I've lost/had stolen over the years. My original PS1, my original N64, the Gameboy I managed to save for when I was 10....my first Saturn.....

And then there was the divorce. A pair of Wiis including a sealed 25th Mario, a launch day 3ds I bought directly from a Nintendo rep, a PSP GoW, another DS lite (I had a problem with buying coral pink ones.) 

I'm also always on the lookout for weird E36 M3. There's a game store in Lakeland FL that I love, and they've always got the coolest E36 M3 at reasonable prices. They have an entire g2 genesis setup, with a Sega CD and a 32x. I want it. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/16/23 10:36 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Dude. I've owned a metric ton of gaming gear over the years but I always end up selling it on when I move to the next thing. You've got quite the, uh, collection there!

Right now I have: Game Cube, Xbox One, PS2, PS3, and PC. I haven't been gaming enough lately to bother with the PS5 / latest Xbox gen. In the past I've had everything from a Sega Master System, Genesis, Neo Geo, TurboExpress (Turbografx 16 portable), Genesis portable, Atari Jaguar, Sega Dreamcast (probably my favorite), PS1, and a few upright cabinets: Mr Do!, Asteroids, Galaga, and a sit-down Sega Turbo. The Turbo was turned into a PC gaming rig, first with a full flight sim stick setup, then later with a more generic stick setup.

But I always find myself playing with something less so I sell it on. I'm contemplating a stand up MAME cabinet for the kids, we'll see. They're ready, they love the original Centipede on the Xbox One.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/16/23 10:40 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I have legitimate hoarder tendencies, and a lot of triggers from my youth. Lost a lot of E36 M3 outside of my control a few different times, not a fan. That and I like gaming. 

I am considering a mame cab, because it's just not feasible for me to own enough of the right kind of uprights. The twist I want is...I want it huge. I'm thinking 85" monitor. Because that's how I am. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/16/23 10:42 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

If the desire to go backwards ever arises, be prepared to pay. I paid $25 for Contra right before the NES revival about 10-15 years ago. That's just the cartridge. No box. No cover. No instructions.

The point is, I guess, is never, ever sell anything.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/16/23 10:50 a.m.

So what's your most favorite game? Doesn't have to be valuable or rare, just the one you keep coming back to. For me it's an early Genesis game, Herzog Zwei. Its wargame strategy game, where you buy vehicles, give them orders and attack the opposition. But you also control a mech, to battle first person as well. Came out in 89 and it's fun every time I play it.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/16/23 11:09 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

if someone asks me what to play, I invariably recommend this series, and specifically this game. I have lost countless hours to this game, and it's accessible to absolutely everyone. The only game I've played in the last 20 years with that kind of replayability is vampire survivors. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/16/23 12:32 p.m.

Current Fleet:

Genesis Mini (with some add ins), Playstation Classic, Wii, PC, Quest

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/16/23 1:36 p.m.

I don't own a single gaming thing. I don';t even have a computer. My kids have many for school, Tunakid 1 has a laptop himself. Tunawife has a laptop herself. THe kids have an old Wii.

Tunakid 1 is into PC gaming, but we don't have the scratch. What's the easy button to avoid $Texas?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/16/23 1:52 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Cloud gaming. As long as your internet is pretty good you can let someone else's PC do the number crunching. Look at something like a steam deck or similar. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/16/23 3:02 p.m.

Easy button is old indie games and steam sales.  Some of the best games I own I have paid $1 for and would run on a potato.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/17/23 3:51 p.m.

In retirement: 

Xbox 360, PSs, PS4, 2007 Spec Gaming desktop put together by a GRM'r for me at the beginning of the pandemic

Honestly the old desktop is a awesome museum piece, has a pair of old NVIDIA cards paired up in SLI config, it's rad. 

Inactive use: 

Nintendo Gamecube

In active use 

Steam Deck, SFF Gaming desktop, Alienware Gaming Laptop, Dell Gaming laptop, Retina 27" iMac (2nd coolest thing of the bunch because i got it for free and just had to swap the HDD for an iFixit SSD kit), and an ancient 2009 spec Dell workstation laptop that runs the old honda diag software. 

I use the SFF pc and the AW laptop to run my VR sim rig. 

I just finished the SFF PC last week. 

5L PC with a AMD 5800X3D and a EVGA RTX 3060Ti

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/17/23 10:46 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

Swmbo and I have been considering a VR. I'm a bit jealous of that, but even that PC in the pic looks absolutely attainable 

1/18/23 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

The PC was a nightmare to build, it's smaller than a PS4 and it's bleeding edge SFF stuff. the power supplies that help make it possible only came out a few months ago. The parts in my build are about $2400 to replicate right now, all the prices went up about 25% since I bought stuff around black friday. 

A high end gaming laptop is the easy button if you need something semi portable, but you can build a small desktop tower that's still very portable at 12 liters in size (aka 120% more than this one) for a lot less money. 

Used VR headsets are also very affordable and a great way to get into it if you want to get your feet wet without going in completely. 

1/18/23 10:40 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I put together a build for you on PC part picker that should run VR just fine and use a brand new current gen CPU. 

if you go brave the used GPU market on ebay you can get  more GPU for less money probably. But the used GPU market is finally going up in prices as supply is drying up. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/93f3JM

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/18/23 10:44 a.m.

It depends what you mean by VR.  Lots of stuff can run VR, but at different capacities.

You want to run a racing sim or AAA VR title?  Bring the power.

You want to have fun in VR?  Get a Quest and get stuff from the store.  Beat Saber and Superhot VR are both excellent games that show you don't have to have the latest hottest E36 M3 and best graphics to have fun.  Well designed gameplay mechanics > visual bells and whistles.  Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is also a great VR title in that its like nothing else you've ever played (probably).

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
1/18/23 10:54 a.m.

Are there VRs these days NOT tied to Facebook? I quit paying attention when berkeleyerberg bought Oculus because I won't faceplace.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/18/23 11:00 a.m.
RevRico said:

Are there VRs these days NOT tied to Facebook? I quit paying attention when berkeleyerberg bought Oculus because I won't faceplace.

They recently divorced the accounts so you do not need a faceplace account to use a Quest.  That said, it is still the same parent company and all that E36 M3.  And its pretty much the only option for standalone VR.

For tethered VR there are a ton of options that have nothing to do with FB.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7eQobIYFaLg8EhyHMn49xbRJiPFx5FstlpQiIFw8YNqgonz9dIHBLX1tKw7FWz6d