gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/1/20 7:55 p.m.

I'm nearly 50 years old and I used to play first person shooters quite a bit 15 to 20 years ago. I built a new pc a couple years ago and am thinking about trying a couple out in multiplayer, but I know there are a few out there that are super serious and I shouldn't even bother with the learning curve, avoiding those and hoping my current build and 144Mhz monitor at least will give me a fighting chance(Hi! I'm Dad!) against the other players, what is out there that you can pop into an arena and play a couple quick rounds with just having to learn the map and keystrokes, then pop out and get back to regular life 30 minutes to an hour later. Bonus for any game that you don't have to talk. I'm literally in the living room at the same time my wife watches TV and speech annoys her if I'm not talking to her specifically ( which can be a plus or a minus depending on the day).

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/1/20 8:44 p.m.

This thread is relevant to my interests. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/1/20 8:47 p.m.

I don't know about online because I never got into the death match culture, but the new dooms are supposed to be amazing games. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/1/20 9:06 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I don't know about online because I never got into the death match culture, but the new dooms are supposed to be amazing games. 

The days of dropping in and out for a quick deathmatch are over :(  Modern games all have a bunch of achievements/skins/dances/armor/loadouts/etc. bullE36 M3 to sort through.  And they are almost all either A) "Battle Royale" or B) Team shooters.

There are several modern Quake Live/Arena clones that play *very* well, but have no player base.  

The new Dooms are amazing games.  Eternal does not have deathmatch.  2016 does, but not sure what that is like anymore.  When it came out the actual gameplay was good (if a bit Halo-like), but the matchmaking/time limits/etc. all sucked.  IMO it was better than people gave it credit for and it only needed some mild config changes to make it great.

I'd say your best bet is Quake Champions.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/1/20 10:52 p.m.

In reply to gunner (Forum Supporter) :

I'm nearly 60 and played since before the original Doom/Wolfenstein-3D/Half-life/... I do a lot less of the PVP now because my internet is so slow, but when I do play I really enjoy Planetside 2.  It is free to play, massive, and versatile for you to play however you enjoy. Choose a role and style of play, drive a tank, four wheeler, or other vehicle. Fly a transport, fight air to ground, or air to air. Play alone or work with a small or huge group. No dances, but lots of gear choices and specialization to buy/earn as you advance. As a low-level newb you can still fight well, but there are perks to gain as you advance. Some people use voice comms but I rarely do. Try it out.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
7/2/20 6:50 a.m.

I had a reply that took about four minutes to type out then hit something on my keyboard wrong and its gone. Anyway, Thanks guys. This confirms what I suspected. I'm going to try out Planetside 2 and warframe and I will see if I can get into one of the modern war offerings and find something I like or not. I always got owned in quake, not sure thats my bag but it bears checking out since it is out there.

Im almost 40. I don't do online at all.

Been playing borderlands series lately. dad like call of duty and metal gear and another i cant remember. But he doesn't do online either. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/2/20 7:31 a.m.

There's a reason Call of Duty is one of the most successful franchises in history, and Warzone is free to download. Give it a shot maybe?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/2/20 8:56 a.m.

I just tuned 55 a couple days ago. I like playing Counter Strike Global Offensive. (CS GO). For some reason jumping in against some bots at the end of the day is great. There is an on line part to this and the players there are crazy good but a simple round or three with bots is lots of fun. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/2/20 8:58 a.m.

I think my son and I have just about every COD on PS. It is a great series. A huge variation in settings and themes. A very fun game to mindlessly shoot things. 

gunner (Forum Supporter)
7/2/20 6:42 p.m.

I've got and played all of the older CoD games single and multiplayer. I tried to get back into them in multiplayer about 2015 and it was all hackers, haven't been back since. but my old PC couldn't play the newer titles anyway. Maybe its time to check them out again.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/2/20 6:55 p.m.

I honestly don't see the point in playing a team based game without a way to communicate with your team (voice comm).

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/2/20 7:03 p.m.

Are you interested in story-driven shooters? Red Dead Redemption 2 is super immersive (perhaps overly so).  Among slightly older games I really liked Bioshock Infinite, Horizon Zero Dawn and Titanfall 2.  Black Mesa is a fun Half-Life reboot and like all the Halo games it's available on Steam.

A bonus mention goes to Half-Life: Alyx, which is amazing, but requires expensive hardware to play.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
7/5/20 10:53 a.m.

^Halo games have somewhat active multiplayer .  Not enough to give me faith that it will be active in the long run though.  I really enjoy HaloCE, so I hope it continues to be.

The0retical (Forum Supporter)
The0retical (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/5/20 11:18 a.m.

I've been playing a lot of World of Warships lately.

Quite a bit slower than most FPS games. You can get super into it learning overatch characteristics, armor angles and which ships carry which consumables, or you can just play the 15 to 20 minute match with a general idea of where you should shoot other ships of a specific variety.

It's a game that rewards knowledge but it's slow and you can work up to it.

No Time
No Time Dork
7/5/20 11:25 a.m.

I don't play them, but both my kids play some on the xBox, but the games they are playing are available on PC.

The older one plays Rainbow Siege Six. It's team matches, but I think they balance the teams so it's not one overpowering team dominating all the time. 

gunner (Forum Supporter)
7/15/20 10:43 p.m.

Alright. What I ended up doing is is trying multiplayer on battlefield V which I already owned and it was fun but my side lost every battle. que sera sera. Ill be back.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VXbA4xpc1U5unXJjN9l70gPuPkEGkFMfmyFB7eOsKkaxxehKFWeCxG5XTcz9V0YA