ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/6/20 10:16 p.m.

Update, I searched on the Steam forums and found that a LOT of people are complaining that the co-driver calls in Scotland are way too quiet.  Hopefully they fix that in an update.

I also found that (maybe this was John's intent) that apparently if you are Steam friends in the game, you can see each other's ghosts.  Unfortunately this only works for time trial mode.

buttdyno
buttdyno New Reader
4/7/20 2:22 p.m.

"^Is this yet another area where everyone's name appears differently?"

Yeah there is some strange thing where you pick a display name but it's not your.. real? username. I think that's why some people show up as "Dirt player"

I didn't know about the ghosts specifically - I like using it to filter the leaderboard the next day to see how I did compared to Dan L (240SX w/ SR swap from back in the day). For the times I don't have time to do the weeklies (or get distracted by iRacing) it's another way to get some competing in.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
4/7/20 2:45 p.m.

Its mostly that we know each other by our GRM names but the tournament uses the Codemaster account name and in game it uses your xbox/ps/steam username.  Also steam users can change their name at anytime so who knows who anyone is anymore.

I loved that Legacy it was fantastic to drive.   I recently did a mobo/processor/ram upgrade and am fighting some teething issues with the VR but I'm still around whenever I can find a moment that my setup feels like being stable.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/7/20 3:19 p.m.
buttdyno said:

"^Is this yet another area where everyone's name appears differently?"

Yeah there is some strange thing where you pick a display name but it's not your.. real? username. I think that's why some people show up as "Dirt player"

I didn't know about the ghosts specifically - I like using it to filter the leaderboard the next day to see how I did compared to Dan L (240SX w/ SR swap from back in the day). For the times I don't have time to do the weeklies (or get distracted by iRacing) it's another way to get some competing in.

Maybe if I just add you guys on Steam it works easier?

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
4/7/20 3:33 p.m.

This was just released for PS+ today, I've got it downloading. I may see how terrible I can do later tonight. 

Fugaku
Fugaku New Reader
4/8/20 10:04 a.m.

Man, for the DLC championship, I popped two tires on that dumb chicane thing with logs on the outside, 1 minute or so into the first stage. The calls for that section are way too late and if it were me I'd add a caution slow to that. Lost a bunch of time limping the rest of the stage, and couldn't make the time back up later.

As for requests, have we done Grp B RWD yet? I think it'd be fun to take those for a spin.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
4/8/20 3:54 p.m.

In reply to Fugaku :

We've done a bit of Group B RWD but I'd be happy to add it to one of the events of the next championship.   I think we'll want a fast flowy location and we'll keep the rain and surface degradation low where should we run em?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/9/20 6:20 a.m.

Regular championship this week- I managed to knock the radiator open on SS1 and by the start of SS3 had serious engine damage.  Still finished but with a very, very slow time- the game doesn't seem to let the engine die if you never come off WOT no matter how damaged it is.

buttdyno
buttdyno New Reader
4/9/20 8:18 a.m.
Maniac0301 said:

In reply to Fugaku :

We've done a bit of Group B RWD but I'd be happy to add it to one of the events of the next championship.   I think we'll want a fast flowy location and we'll keep the rain and surface degradation low where should we run em?

Poland? Finland?

czerka
czerka New Reader
4/10/20 9:55 a.m.

Well, I really really wish I had noticed there was no repair points on Argentina, would have been much more careful.  But, looks like I wasn't the only one caught out, after taking over 8 minutes on stage 4 I'm currently sitting in 2nd place. laugh

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
4/13/20 10:42 a.m.

In reply to czerka :

I took hard tires and was trying to be really careful.   I still popped my radiator at the end of the first stage and by the 3rd stage had almost no boost.   Then I managed to blow a tire on the 4th stage and limped it home.  

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
4/14/20 10:14 a.m.

Okay, I joined, going to give it a go

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
4/14/20 8:17 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

I've got you added.   You should see the events under the racenet tab in game.   Glad to have ya.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/14/20 8:19 p.m.

Finished this week's event with only two tires on the car- pretty happy with my time considering that, but rocketsaru still kicked my ass.

Fugaku
Fugaku New Reader
4/14/20 8:45 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Checked the results, I saw you creeped up on me in S2! I didn't have too much wear on the medium compounds after S2, so I decided to try soft for S3 and 4. I think it worked, and that's probably what helped me run away.

Also, I didn't even know there was a Mitsubishi Mirage R5 car, so I gave it a try. It was pretty fun! Felt a little smaller than the Fiesta, which is the only other R5 car I've driven in game.

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/15/20 2:38 p.m.

HOW DID I MISS THIS?! FOR ALLLLLL THIS TIME!

I'm on Xbox as Rx7Kevin as well. 

I even made a thread about it around release time lol 

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/simulation-central/dirt-rally-20-feb-2019/144730/page1/

in this very forum section. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/15/20 9:45 p.m.

Ugh.  DLC event this week I blew it.  I was like 40 seconds back from 1st, then blew a tire.  Then realized my berkeleying d-pad bindings weren't working because I was screwing with logitec profiler & assetto corsa (which won't recognize D-Pad so I need to configure them as KB buttons).  So on top of blowing a tire I wasted another 20 seconds pausing and unpausing and trying to get the damn buttons working.

I jumped straight into the non-DLC event which was dumb because I was still pissed.  Immediately blew a front tire.  Won the second stage and stopped there.  No chance of recovering that time, but maybe I can hang onto 3rd.

4/16/20 8:50 a.m.

Argentina is rough and is not my favorite by any means, also im really bad at anything FWD. 

czerka
czerka New Reader
4/16/20 3:33 p.m.

The corner on Finland Stage 1 at the end of the long bouncy straight gets me everytime.  I'm flying over bumps, wide open, then as I crest the last rise, I hear immeditate left 1.  Well, brakes don't work if the tires aren't touching the ground so I fly into a group of ambulances and get a massive penalty.  So annoying.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/16/20 4:37 p.m.
czerka said:

The corner on Finland Stage 1 at the end of the long bouncy straight gets me everytime.  I'm flying over bumps, wide open, then as I crest the last rise, I hear immeditate left 1.  Well, brakes don't work if the tires aren't touching the ground so I fly into a group of ambulances and get a massive penalty.  So annoying.

Yeah, that call is way late I feel.

The good part is if you nail a spectator, you just get a time penalty instead of totaling the car.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/17/20 7:31 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

I jumped straight into the non-DLC event which was dumb because I was still pissed.  Immediately blew a front tire.  Won the second stage and stopped there.  No chance of recovering that time, but maybe I can hang onto 3rd.

Managed the fastest time on the 3rd stage, but got sloppy on the 4th.  Ended up in second because I guess Nonack got a flat.

Those R5 cars are silly fun.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
4/17/20 10:12 a.m.

I just did a fairly comprehensive update on my PC and either ya'll were slacking this week or I'm legit faster.   The new rig can maintain the 90fps you need for VR even at high detail.   This does a couple things.   It makes me way smoother as my world isn't constantly speeding up and slowing down.   It also lets me pump in more detail in the environment which lets me read the treetops way better on the fly.   

Rocket you and I had an epic battle last night in the Space Wagons.   What a fantastic tense series with 2 seconds between us for most of it.   Sadly I couldn't quite clinch it on the last stage and fell behind another 4 seconds.    

Fugaku
Fugaku New Reader
4/17/20 11:44 a.m.

In reply to Maniac0301 :

Consistent and higher framerates definitely help a ton. I got a new GPU (5700XT) and more RAM, but I still can't seem to get consistent framerates with the Shaders set to high. I'm still playing around with lowering everything and keeping shaders on high, or putting shaders on low and raising everything else up.

And I took a look at the results again, I was a bit worried there as I saw you creeping up on me. I managed to run away though! But looks like you got revenge in the DLC championship. I was more confident in that than I was in the R5 cars :(

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
4/17/20 12:28 p.m.

In reply to Fugaku :

I ran the DLC series first and I think coming off that I was really conservative in the R5 for the first stage.   You can really huck the thing around and the brakes are stupid good.   Finland is my favorite location from Dirt 1 so I have a lot of experience managing the hills.   In VR there is nothing like Finland.   Its like those VR rollercoaster rides but you are in control so you don't get sick, the drops and rises are really understated on a regular monitor.

4/17/20 2:49 p.m.

I am so glad I fall under the don't get sick team on VR Finland, Tried it at a friends house with a few rallyers/rallyists - my ex codriver got nautious within a few minutes. Probably why he stopped co-driving for me. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8P6gXo9hnVJ45QaxJqrmTONilf5mCm9hsA4F2Q55fowQj1UHAft9QbNQBn6Xi7ft