gunner
gunner HalfDork
1/24/19 9:48 p.m.

So from karateka to mechwarrior to panzer general this site hosts old games with easy to setup downloads so you can play these old games with a modern pc. you can download two games per day free at what feels like 300 baud, or pay to download per month  like 9 bucks and get as many games as your hard drive can handle for free. Not a canoe, I just wanted to make all you gamers aware of this resource. I am loving it.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/24/19 10:25 p.m.

This is pretty rad. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/25/19 2:24 p.m.

There are at least a few of those sites out there.  Google “Abandonware”

You will likely need DOSBox, but I think there are some places that you can play in the browser.

gunner
gunner HalfDork
1/27/19 6:14 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I never thought about that. Thanks Ill have to check that out. I clicked on this site from a reddit post and they have an easy setup option where you don't have to set anything else up on your computer, so 'm straight installing and playing all these great games.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
1/27/19 6:29 p.m.

Pretty cool. I wish I had more time. 

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
2/7/19 12:08 p.m.

Any concern over malware on the files?  Downloading unknown executable files from an unknown server worries me.  Even if the game works, what else comes with it?

Reddit, quora, and others have not given a clear answer.  

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
2/7/19 8:03 p.m.

Subbed for interest.

gunner
gunner HalfDork
2/13/19 9:09 p.m.
Flynlow said:

Any concern over malware on the files?  Downloading unknown executable files from an unknown server worries me.  Even if the game works, what else comes with it?

Reddit, quora, and others have not given a clear answer.  

I did consider that my self before I downloaded my first file. So far I have had zero issues.

Antihero
Antihero Dork
2/13/19 9:19 p.m.

Hmm Star Wars Republic Commando. Loved that game on the original xbox and lost my copy......

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/14/19 12:31 a.m.

I would think the only virus concern would be from DOSBox since the games run within it (emulating a DOS environment).  It’s been around for a while and I am pretty certain there have been no issues.

If you have any interest in turn based games, X-com is generally considered one of the best games ever made.  It has a pretty amazing amount of depth for a DOS game.

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/20/21 9:35 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

excellent! i love TBS

I found that there was some strange steam like platform that was able to host warlords III so I have def binged down memory lane recently. 

its funny because i have been looking forward to new games and great graphics and things but I just find myself playing the same games I played when I was a big gamer. some have refreshed graphics but nothing wild.  There really isn't that many new games that WOW me. 

also command and conquer/red alert just got remastered and its fantastic - I hope this is a sign of whats to come for other games. 

russde
russde Reader
9/23/21 3:22 p.m.

the free download option is no longer there...

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/9/21 6:04 p.m.

Bummer.  Looks like Abandonware.com is gone also!

Edit:  Looks like they either changed the website, or I remembered it wrong, it's still there (looks a bit different, so maybe it did change):

https://www.myabandonware.com/

Need for Speed II is one of their top downloads (looks like a Ferrari and some sort of BMW prototype?):

Need for Speed II: SE 0

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6YvwHg1901sw0sn5ndz83sTjVd82LqPZIxT2jsZeeexwvx7UGFAxXGXt5sRejCWX