1 2 3
MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
5/23/16 1:14 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Glory kills are't some boring scripted melee attack that keeps you invincible. They are a *new* and interesting mechanic added to the FPS realm. You pretty much need to perform them to get health/armor or ammo. So instead of running from a battle to find more health/ammo/armor (or let in regenerate *cough* COD/Halo 2+/etc.) when it gets too intense, you dive right in the middle of it. And whip out your chainsaw.

Yeah, now that I've read more / watched some video reviews, that is a lot cooler than some random guy on techpowerup! made it sound.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
5/23/16 2:52 p.m.

Can somebody mail me the shareware version on a 3.5" floppy?

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
5/23/16 2:59 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2:

I'm sure it's still around at my parents house somewhere, but you'd likely find Hoffa's body, before I found it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
5/23/16 5:31 p.m.

Well, lets assume a shareware version would be approx. 50% larger than the multiplayer beta (which only included 2 levels, no monsters, etc.)

That would be 15 gigs.
Which is only ~10417 floppy disks.
At 100k/second it only takes ~15 seconds to write a disk. Add a 5 second swap time and once up and running its about 20 seconds each.
So it would only take about 58 hours to write all the disks.
Reading them all could probably be done in half the time.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/23/16 6:56 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Well, lets assume a shareware version would be approx. 50% larger than the multiplayer beta (which only included 2 levels, no monsters, etc.) That would be 15 gigs. Which is only ~10417 floppy disks. At 100k/second it only takes ~15 seconds to write a disk. Add a 5 second swap time and once up and running its about 20 seconds each. So it would only take about 58 hours to write all the disks. Reading them all could probably be done in half the time.

Now to find 10k floppy disks.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/23/16 7:43 p.m.

At the bottom of the page: http://www.athana.com/html/diskette.html

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
5/23/16 7:50 p.m.

Finding the 3.5" floppies of the originals might be an exercise in futility, but I did dig through one of the "computer stuff" Rubbermaids and found this gem:

Someone could potentially rip an .iso and stick it on Drop Box, purely as a back up, so as to not scratch up a disc, of course.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
5/23/16 8:01 p.m.

I played all the DOOM games as younger individual.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
5/23/16 9:07 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote: Finding the 3.5" floppies of the originals might be an exercise in futility, but I did dig through one of the "computer stuff" Rubbermaids and found this gem: Someone could potentially rip an .iso and stick it on Drop Box, purely as a back up, so as to not scratch up a disc, of course.

True, however at at whopping $5 on GOG/Steam, I think even us GRM cheapskates can afford it :)

Or wait for the Steam summer sale and you can probably snag it along with Ultimate Doom, Final Doom & Master Levels of Doom II for some crazy cheap package price.

Oh an +1 to ZDoom/GZDoom. There is also a Wolf3d & SOD conversion to run on that engine as well, which is my favorite Wolfenstein port.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
5/23/16 9:26 p.m.

IDKFA FTW

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
5/27/16 12:55 p.m.

Beat this on Ultra-violence the other night. Awesome game.

Snapmap is a major disappointment.

Haven't tried the final multiplayer yet. The fact that the game has to essentially restart between snapmap, campaign and multiplayer is really weird to me. They shouldn't be that different.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/27/16 12:58 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: I played all the DOOM games as younger individual.

I've played them all except for this latest one. And many expansion packs. Heck I think I've done all that within the last 5 years.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
5/27/16 1:37 p.m.
Doc Brown wrote: IDKFA FTW

The same thing was floating through my head when I saw DOOM on the main page.

HunterBenz
HunterBenz New Reader
5/27/16 8:05 p.m.

This is my original Doom...

I played the new one and got all of the achievements. I think the single player was done very well. Considering I literally bought the PS4 TO PLAY Doom when it came out, not being disappointed is pretty impressive to me.

Multiplayer is alright, but I have been less interested in multiplayer lately for any game. I don't have many friends that play and find it hard to find anyone I can relate to online.

I was very happy with the ending, those of you that have gotten there probably know what I mean. :D

Edit: I just realized my original copy of Doom is over 20 years old... wow.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
6/10/16 7:26 a.m.

Played a couple hours of the multiplayer over the past few days. Thoughts:

What. The. E36 M3. Bethesda.

All the crap I hated about the beta is still there as expected: customized armor/skins/decals/whatever bullE36 M3. XP. Loadouts. Etc. But...

• Joining a game takes way too long. Why should I be waiting 5+ minutes for other people to show up at 8:30 on a Wednesday night? Is anyone even online? Is it because they are playing a different mode than me? Maybe I should switch? I'll never know, because there is no server browser.

• On a similar note, I can't create a game with settings I would like on the map I would like because dedicated servers. Grrr.

• Is there seriously no standard deathmatch? Like free for all. Everything is team based?

• Intermission between games is crazy long. I was having some fun playing team deathmatch last night, but decided to time some games:

Game length (actual play time) 6:30
Time loading level, post level score screen, intermission: 2:15

So yeah, 25% of my time was spent waiting to play. And that doesn't even count the time spent waiting to find a game at the beginning (I was unable to find any games to play other than Team DM).

• My ping was shown as intermediate. I have a decent connection, so not sure why this was happening. But I have ZERO control over which server I am connected to. Its just an icon that basically says "you are at a disadvantage. tough E36 M3."

• In the key bindings "T" is bound to "Text Chat". I've pressed it everywhere and have yet to find a place where it will let me chat, and I've never seen anyone else chat. Add to that that 99% of players don't seem to have microphones, and they could all be bots and I wouldn't even know it.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
6/10/16 10:06 a.m.

I haven't played the new one yet because I don't have a computer or console that I can play it on, but I am a fan of the series. The original was AWESOME and mind blowing when it was released. That game was a ton of fun and still is. The second one just built upon the winning formula of the first one, which just means it's even more awesome.

I have the 3rd one for the original Xbox, and that one was creepy as berk. Nothing like having enemies come out of the ceilings! The whole flashlight mechanic was cool, too.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
6/10/16 11:54 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: I'll never know, because **there is no server browser**. * On a similar note, I can't create a game with settings I would like on the map I would like because dedicated servers. Grrr. So yeah, 25% of my time was spent waiting to play. And that doesn't even count the time spent waiting to find a game at the beginning (I was unable to find any games to play other than Team DM). * My ping was shown as intermediate. I have a decent connection, so not sure why this was happening. But I have ZERO control over which server I am connected to. Its just an icon that basically says "you are at a disadvantage. tough E36 M3."

Welcome to the console-ized world of multiplayer gaming, brought to you by call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
6/10/16 12:05 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote: Welcome to the console-ized world of multiplayer gaming, brought to you by call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

This is the first console-ized game I've played on PC, so maybe its the first I'm noticing it.

Its shocking to see this level of suckery from a developer with such a strong multiplayer fps heritage.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/19/16 10:00 p.m.

So bringing this back from the dead. I beat the campaign a couple days ago, holy crap was that good. The music was perfect, the timing on the cut scenes was spot on, and the flow of battle was top notch. Loved being able to glory kill and immediately be back in the fight.

Snapmaps has some really cool stuff out now. It isn't campaign quality but I played most of the way through one that has you playing as one of Olivia's elite dropping way points in Hell. Another that has all the old maps loaded in so I can play OG doom with modern weapons.

Haven't done the multiplayer yet. It isn't my thing anyways so no great loss. If you missed it, the multiplayer portion was built out of house so that is why it is basically call of duty in hell.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/20/16 12:33 p.m.

As an update to my earlier post, several of the multiplayer issues are being fixed. Deathmatch has been added. I believe semi-custom gametype creation has been added. Intermission has been reduced.

I haven't bought the expansion packs. I'm not sure what that gets me. Really the only reason I would consider them is access to a larger pool of players, but without server browsing abilities, I have no idea what that situation is.

On the single player front, Arcade mode is awesome. Nice to see the id team again come up with a unique twist on traditional single player that is very well thought out. Its a very good take on speed running but integrated well with leaderboards, achievements, points, etc. Thumbs up.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill UberDork
12/20/16 2:03 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Doom is the only game I keep on my phone. The classic, of course I don't have a gaming console for the new one. Also, you can play Wolfenstein in your browser: http://3d.wolfenstein.com/game_NA.php

Thank you for that. That was a good way to kill my lunch break

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/22/16 7:33 p.m.

This game is currently $20 on Steam. If you don't have it, go get it. Its starting to collect awards too. I'm sure there will be many more magazines selecting it in the coming month.

Best Comeback

Game of the Year (one of many)

Best Music, Best Action Game

RevRico
RevRico Dork
12/22/16 7:36 p.m.

I was planning on buying this during the xmas sale on xbox, as I skipped it at Black Friday. Only game I'm interested in buying, and it's not on sale.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
12/27/16 2:26 p.m.

My oldest gave me an Xbox 360 and Doom 3 BFG Edition for Christmas. I was fair with a mouse and keyboard. It's been a very long time since I played any FPS. Now I have to learn to use a controller. It'll be fun.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
12/27/16 3:08 p.m.

Played the demo. Enjoyed that teaser. Really liked demos become a thing again. Almost picked it up the other day on Steam sale. I have too many games I've been waiting to get to that I haven't played yet though.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mreChLYbFaRek94Mzt7X2xLJo1AGpv7niPFlaNYRc3Zy4h8fnmO9IZYg2QT23Zed