RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
6/9/19 4:25 p.m.

Oh crap, its real. Ummm... Can't be any worse than hotwheels I guess, but berkeley.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/9/19 5:04 p.m.

And you all said they wouldn't do this E36 M3 again after hot wheels. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
6/9/19 5:11 p.m.

I'm glad I didn't buy the expansion pass.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
6/10/19 8:26 p.m.

I can think of things I'd want more, but I'm fine with this. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
6/13/19 2:47 p.m.

They're getting better with this update thing. 6GB download the other day for the expansion, 2 hard console resets to trigger today's 8+GB update. 

Only have this problem with the forza games

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/13/19 4:09 p.m.

8gb update. Glad I have two xboxes. Jesus. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/14/19 7:13 a.m.

So, Lego. 

Its....weird. like, really weird. 

First, the obvious stuff. It starts off as a regular old fashioned racing game, except Lego. Theres still regular trees and dirt and stuff too- like someone built a massive Lego set in a backyard. Theres several distinct areas to choose from, which all really feel like the old spots (desert, forest, sea) with legos piled on. The effect is pretty cool, so that works out. There is also a TON more destructible environment available, so keeping up combos with wreckage scores isnt hard, at all. This can make for a fun, if not frustrating race- clobbering stuff is great, clobbering stuff and slowing down is not as great. It took me 4 tries to beat the first race I entered on the island. 

The challenges- These seem to be mostly standard for Forza. There's influence points, and now there's lego bricks. With the lego bricks, you do a challenge, and you get some bricks. I think i've only done two challenges so far that weren't the standard win the race jump the thing. I had one where I needed to knock down 20 traffic cones in 60 seconds (if you've ever raced with me, you know I bash things all the time) and make... I don't remember how many ultimate jumps in 60 seconds. There's a ton of others, but they all seem to fall in line with the progression. I haven't really looked at the screen too much to see what it was about. These bricks are used to upgrade and build your home, and other cars. 

Racing is what you'd expect, but with legos on the track. There's a neat high speed bowl at the north end of lego valley, no idea if there's  a circle track race yet or not. 

One thing that happened that I was NOT expecting, was the feel of realism. I was doing a race in my venerable CTSV gravel car, and I actually got lost in the graphics for a second. I recently upgraded to a onex, and a 4k tv- but this was the first time it REALLY took me off guard... they've done an EXTREMELY good job of transporting you into the environment. 

The cars themselves- I've only unlocked two- the Mini you get for going there, and the F40. They behave just like their real life (digital) counterparts. Flying along in a lego Ferrari and getting some real ferrari dynamics out of it is a bit strange, but it seems to work well. Customization however, is something I am frustrated with. Not because they did it wrong, but because they did it right. Meaning, the lego cars work like...legos. You can only paint them the colors that legos come in- there is no tweaking, no custom metallics, no flip paint, no nothing. If it's not a lego color, you can...lego of the idea of painting it that color. I'm sorry, I'll see myself out. Likewise, there's no wheel painting, no wheel changing, no window tint, etc. There is the ability to split paint jobs, at least on the two cars I have, between roof and body, but still only lego colors. The neatest, and subsequently the most frustrating part, is the wraps. You can still vinyl anything you want, but again, behaves like legos. As in, if you do a wrap on a car, only the spots that would allow stickers on a lego will be wrapped. That means the spaces between bricks, the brick tops, some curved surfaces, no wrap job. It's going to be a lot of fun to work with, once I figure it out. 

Overall- not bad. I'm still not sure if it's going to end up frustrating me like Hot wheels did to the point I quit playing, or if it's going to be too short lived to be any good (I'm looking at you Fortune Island) but I already had the everything pass and got more than my 80$ out of the game before this came out, so we'll let it ride, for now. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
6/14/19 11:55 a.m.

There’s an eight year old in the house who like racing games so getting the LEGO expansion was kind of inevitable.

one thing I’ve noticed so far: the couple road course circuits I’ve done seem a lot more wide open, making it easier to get around the pack of slow and crashy drivatars at the beginning of a race. That makes it more fun to turn up the difficulty and have a good battle with the 3-4 faster cars at the front.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
6/14/19 6:27 p.m.

Minor rant: I don't get much time to play, so when I heard about the update coming out early this week, I set up the laptop and let it do the gigabytes of updates while I was working. 

This afternoon, I have about an hour to work with, and there is nothing about Lego anywhere in the game. I go to marketplace, and that opens the store, where I have another 7 GB of data to download that wasn't there earlier this week. So, there is little chance I'll get to play the expansion this week.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/14/19 6:44 p.m.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
6/15/19 4:52 p.m.

I managed to play for a few hours last night. Thoughts:

With all of the coverage of the environmental impact of microplastics I've seen in the last few weeks, the expansion is a bit of a trip. 

I also think it must be really weird for the folks in Woking to see a licensed racing game in which their Senna and a Lego Senna can race in a Lego world.

I wanted more music - Everything is Awesome radio is not what I wanted.

It seems like a lot of the PR stunts have a fairly low bar for three stars.

I actually really like the brick challenges. They're such tiny "microgame"-like items, mostly, that they feel compatible with the times when I just want to go out and drive around with no destination in mind.

I haven't seen a lot of FORZATHON activity. I ditched one and did other challenges because I was the only one in it. I left the pink circle on another because nobody else had shown up with 45 seconds left on the time. I don't do these alone, because I actually enjoy fun, and they're nearly impossible solo.

I'm a little disappointed at how shallow the tuning options are for the Lego cars.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/15/19 5:35 p.m.

In reply to Mike :

I kinda like that the tuning options are what they are. While I am saddened I cant slap a set of torque thrusts on my Lego senna, the attention to detail in limiting them is kind of impressive. Same with paint. You can only paint the cars in colors legos come in. 

Mike
Mike SuperDork
6/15/19 5:41 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Agree, I think, on paint. It'd be strange to have Prismacolor white bricks. 

Normal cars get clutch mods, gearbox mods, engine swaps, turbo upgrades, intercooler upgrades, displacement, superchargers, various suspension changes, tires... That's where I wouldn't have minded more. I think the bumper changes are pretty funny though. 

Mike
Mike SuperDork
6/19/19 8:24 p.m.

Okay. The Lego Senna is pretty badass.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/21/19 6:42 p.m.

speaking of the Lego senna, tours truly did a little throwie and ended up winning a livery contest! I get a half mil, a prize car (599xx evo in my case, I want a gravel spec one) and a feature in the paint store. I'll hopefully sell more downloads now. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
6/21/19 6:58 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Good job dude.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/25/19 2:46 p.m.

Let's see if my humor pays off. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/1/19 4:01 p.m.

Didn't win this week. I would be ok with it, except one of the winners had a blatant mis-spelling all over the berkeleying car, and I cannot believe they'd endorse that E36 M3. I'm taking some time off. Probably less than a day, but jesus christ guys, figure it out. 

failboat
failboat UberDork
7/2/19 12:19 p.m.

Yeah I feel like the T10 livery comps are a little biased in the sense that if you have won before it lowers your chance at winning again. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/2/19 8:41 p.m.
failboat said:

Yeah I feel like the T10 livery comps are a little biased in the sense that if you have won before it lowers your chance at winning again. 

I'm not even mad. There were some bangers this week. The thing that kills me is one of the winners in the fantasy category had "diamond's  are forever " written all over it. That berkeleyin apostrophe slays me. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/17/19 6:39 p.m.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/19/19 7:37 p.m.

and just like that, all of the effort I put into a joke only like 4 people got 3 years ago pays off. Strawberry milk won me another contest. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/19/19 7:55 p.m.

I'm really annoyed that none of you told me about the bubble. You should have known!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/19/19 8:01 p.m.

Dude, we all knew. How did you not? Get some updates, foo! 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/19/19 8:11 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I haven't played anything on xbox that isn't a movie in weeks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DdQcXC8DEadgBxlT3HHKmrpfGed9nvGl7qKpbLfFfPWkJQLygDNCzgeQ1fb3fouY