Ah yes, the classic GT experience.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
3/4/22 8:26 p.m.

Time to buy a ps5

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
3/5/22 10:04 a.m.

My wife fell asleep on the couch last night, so I got in another hour or so of playing.

• The physics are really good. I prefer them to Assetto Corsa.  I'm still early in the game, but on comfort and sport tires the cars really seem to react realistically to driver inputs and conditions.
  • The car sounds are really good. They nailed my Mini.  It's a tough sound to get right with the SC whine and aftermarket exhaust, but when I put on the sport exhaust in game it is bang on, including the burbles.  The 370z (I had a 350z) also sounds right to true life experience.
  • About 90 minutes into the game I have unlocked 11 tracks, GT Auto and Sport mode. That's a lot of tutorial.  It's very linear so far, and I don't actually mind it but I can see how it would be exceptionally frustrating to some. Especially since they ask at the start of you've played GT before, you'd think that would eliminate the hand holding.
  • The dynamic weather / time effects are superb. The night to day transition is completely seamless and smooth. So much that I forgot I started the race in the dark.
  • My Mini is officially the exact right color with the right wheels.  I'm pretty happy that it got to be my starter car.
  • Livery editor is basically the same, but buying colors is better. You can find them by car brand or by type and even filter them.
  • I'm undecided on the economy aspects. No one has found a money cheat yet.
  • License tests return. They are as frustrating as ever.  I've learned that I shift too often and that staying in a higher gear is often better.

I'm still overly positive on it.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
3/5/22 12:13 p.m.
yupididit said:

Time to buy a ps5

On PS5 the instantaneous loads are a game changer, more than any graphics stuff (though I'm not gonna complain about the graphics).

I'm having a blast with it as well. I'm playing with a Thrustmaster T300 RS GT wheel setup and load cell pedals but I hear the DualSense controller on PS5 is a fantastic way to play too with the brake feedback.

Agree with Brad on the tutorial feeling overly long, but it's in service of getting new people into the franchise, so I can live with it. Re: the economy, you can buy credits for real money from Sony, there ain't never gonna be a money cheat, though someone might find a quick grind or exploit.

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
3/5/22 4:47 p.m.
  • Engine swaps have been confirmed
BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
3/6/22 9:25 a.m.

I'm on "Menu" number 12 or 13. It's about Camaros.  The Cafe drives the entire game (at least to this point).  The menus are like quests.  Go learn about French Hot Hatches, do so by running 3 short races and winning them as prize cars.  Once you do that, back to the Cafe, you get an additional prize (either a roulette prize ticket or something unlocked). Rinse and repeat.

You're welcome to stray off the path and work on license tests, driving missions, or really anything you've unlocked at that point, but it may not progress you any further.  The menus aren't overly burdensome, so I'm minding working through them.  Plus I don't have great knowledge of the fantasy tracks anymore so it is a good opportunity to get practice on those.

I decided for the American menus to invest in a car that should be able to compete in whatever was thrown at me, naturally I bought a C7 ZR1.

By far the most powerful car I've acquired to this point, I was curious to see how the physics stacked up.  Holy hell, this car wants to kill you.  If you are below 4th gear, you don't use anything more than like 40% of the throttle.  It will light up the tires without hesitation and you are immediately just along for the ride.  I continue to be impressed with what they've done.

At this point, I think I've unlocked all the functions in the game. I've still got a couple tracks left to unlock.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
3/6/22 3:01 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

Do you have a pic of your setup?

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/7/22 7:55 a.m.

On the PS4 version does the Vr work? mine is collecting dust and still thinking about buying the game, might wait a few more weeks for a used copy.

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
3/7/22 8:55 a.m.
trigun7469 said:

On the PS4 version does the Vr work? mine is collecting dust and still thinking about buying the game, might wait a few more weeks for a used copy.

There's no VR at all right now.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/7/22 11:17 a.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

VR was a really bad investment when it comes to PS4 auto racing gaming.

pointofdeparture
3/7/22 11:19 a.m.
yupididit said:

Do you have a pic of your setup?

Yeah here's a couple: https://imgur.com/a/KtFoPCT

Setup is Thrustmaster T300 RS GT wheel, T-LCM pedals, TH8A shifter (with short lever, ClixBeetle engagement mod and Mitsu Evo X RS shift knob), GT Omega wheel stand, and IKEA POANG chair. Parked in front of a LG C1 55" TV with 5.1 surround sound. Great way to play!

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
3/7/22 12:11 p.m.

Oh man I'm jealous. 

pointofdeparture
3/7/22 1:07 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

As with most things it ended up being a bigger investment than I initially planned for...but overall I'm super happy with it! Big improvement over playing in the office with the steering wheel clamped to the desk.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
3/7/22 1:50 p.m.

Lol I'm sure. The sole reason to get a ps5 is for this game. If I had a whole setup then the game would end up being a couple grand lol

pointofdeparture
3/7/22 2:57 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Yeah I'm a big gamer in general, and the PS5 plays PS4 games with improved performance, so it was a no-brainer for me when I got the chance to buy one (was randomly browsing Target one morning and they just happened to be in stock online). Sold my PS4 for $300 so it ended up being a $200 upgrade which is about as good as you can hope for. Probably not worth the investment for GT7 alone though.

I will say that even without a wheel setup the DualSense PS5 controller is incredible. The resistive feedback for gas and brake on the triggers is very intuitive. I was having trouble with a drifting challenge using the wheel (just a lot going on all at once) so I busted out the controller for a few tries and came away pretty impressed.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
3/7/22 3:53 p.m.

I have my son's my ps4's. Now I'm without a Playstation lol. 

There's other games but gt7 was the only one that I've been waiting for. If another Metal Gear game releases then I'll def play that. 

Otherwise I play SuperSmashBros and Legend of Zelda on my Switch

pointofdeparture
3/17/22 6:47 p.m.

Check in after some more play time.

The driving itself is phenomenal. I have been having a particularly great time in the Sport mode online races.

The cafe-oriented single player campaign progression becomes tiring after a while. In general, progression feels slower than it has ever been in a GT game, and it is hard to amass enough credits to buy anything interesting. They really seem to want you to buy credits for real world money, which is unfortunate.

The AI racers are better than any previous GT game, but still below par for a modern racing game. The AI cars often react nonsensically to passes and close racing; some of the "missions" involve you navigating the AI cleanly in a much faster car and it's maddening how they will just randomly go off-line to ruin clean, safe passes that were all yours.

The racing soundtrack is about 90% dreadful generic butt-rock with cringey vocals but at least you can turn it off.

Overall, it is a solid game, the driving is great (which is the important part) but I have a feeling it will be a much better package after a year of DLC updates and what not like GT Sport was.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/18/22 12:25 a.m.

I read the fastest way to make money is the Fisherman's Ranch race.  100k in 3.5 min if you do good.

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
3/24/22 11:29 a.m.

If you take away the online play and presigue of GT series what do you have?

AllTerrain1025
AllTerrain1025
4/15/22 1:32 p.m.

Damn, I'm jealous of that setup.

AllTerrain1025
AllTerrain1025 New Reader
4/15/22 1:37 p.m.

Been playing GT7 off and on since it has came out. Have gotten to about menu 15 or so in the Cafe. Overall, it is one of the better entries in the GT series. I have mixed feelings on the whole Cafe experience. I think I would have preferred to have your standard divisions as in past games, but it does give more of a story element to the overall game. I do wish that I had a PS5, but with the exception of the longish load times, playing on a PS4 Slim works for me as it still allows for HDR play (I have a LG 75" 4K 120 HZ TV). I would be curious to see the upgraded graphics on the PS5, but since I finally just scored a Series X, that will have to wait a bit.

For reference, I have played them all and even though I don't have my copies of GT or GT2 anymore, I still have the save file memory cards.

pointofdeparture
4/18/22 12:25 a.m.

I have been playing a lot more lately. Just finished off the last Cafe menu today (39?)

After some criticism from the community they have made the game less stingy with credits and reward tickets and added some new events, which helps make saving up for cars feel like less of a slog.

I really enjoy doing the rotating weekly Sport races in particular but I hope they adjust the BoP so that the Atenza doesn't always dominate Group 4.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
4/18/22 12:27 a.m.

I just got me a ps5 when gamestop had the ps5 gt7 bundle. I haven't had time to even unbox anything yet lol

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
5/10/22 7:39 a.m.

At the risk of treason against the Assetto Corsa group...

Any interest in a GRM series?

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
5/10/22 10:06 a.m.

I admit it - GT7 has piqued my interest in console gaming again. I haven't splurged for a new PS and the game, but maybe in a few months.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c2oYEmWZsxrGOYxp1h9WcThU753Na4dq521r1L0B34lz6fMOauxxBeoAWcFKhg2U