1 2 3
BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
1/9/20 7:28 a.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

Try running a wire vs using wireless to connect. It makes a big difference in performance, not sure if it'll help the connection. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/9/20 12:29 p.m.

I did a few more laps at Barcelona this morning. Still slower than Brad and Argo especially on the primary (harder) tires. I just overheat them after a lap or two. Need to figure out how to drive an Indy car I guess.

I did see online that the preferred tire pressures are 24/21 psi F/R for road courses. It also says that the right side tires on the ovals like up to 45psi. I adjusted the cold pressures to get 24/21 and didn't seem much different to the default pressures which ended up more like 31/28 or something like that.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/9/20 12:31 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

Agreed on running ethernet to your PS4 for better performance online. My wifi is good, but ethernet connection works better.

Argo1
Argo1 UltraDork
1/9/20 9:27 p.m.

Anyone have a 300' ethernet cable?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/9/20 9:36 p.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

I actually do have one. Made it up years ago for a display at a show. 

Argo1
Argo1 UltraDork
1/9/20 9:56 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Joking.  Not quite that far but I'm not sure how I could route it.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
1/10/20 8:37 a.m.

I did some testing on the Indy cars yesterday, not driving, but testing the AI.  When we tested Wednesday night the AI was having all kinds of trouble, crashing, flipping... they would only successfully complete every other lap.  I didn't go back and look specifically, but I think TJ guessed right.  The road cars and oval cars are very different, but are both in the same "class".  I'm guessing the cars that had trouble were the oval cars trying to keep up with the road cars.  In order to prevent this, we'll have to run "identical" cars.  So, it'll be the Chevy's because it has the livery I like.

The next thing I checked was pace.  At 95, I was crushing the AI.  And yes, I did actually top the time sheet in testing... first time in like a year.  But all of us were seconds faster than the AI.  This was especially bad when we tested the oval.  There was only like 8 AI cars, but I was passing 3-5 a lap.  When you are 4 seconds a lap faster but the lap is only 24 seconds long... it creates a lot of hilarious moments.  TJ giggled, a lot.  But, I'm not sure that would be good for racing.  So I tested the AI maxxed out at 120.  At Barcelona the fastest cars were about 0.5s faster than my lap time, at Texas they were equal.

Obviously there will be no damage, because these cars are brittle.

I still need to sort the tracks out, but that's where the next series is headed...

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/11/20 12:10 p.m.

I say if we don't run damage then track limits should be on. 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
1/11/20 3:08 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Ok

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/11/20 3:47 p.m.

Should at least test it. To see if people are ok with it. My reason for it is with out damage you can take big risks with no real penalty. I figure the with limits on it will keep us from taking those risks. I got damaged hitting a curb with the Indy car. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/11/20 6:57 p.m.

Setting up a room now

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
1/11/20 7:01 p.m.

I'm good with track limits. I'm not an offender, so it won't bother me any. 

What will be interesting is the tires. I won't require a pit stop, but you are probably going to need one or more anyway. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/11/20 7:06 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

How long are you thinking for the races?  I ended up really liking the 75 min TC races. Maybe something between that and 30 mins?

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
1/11/20 11:01 p.m.

Was thinking 60 minutes, but need to check tire wear to see what that is like. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/11/20 11:34 p.m.

Fuel will be an issue especially if you run accelerated fuel use. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/11/20 11:36 p.m.

Tested at luging Saca an was running low 1:13 laps. I was faster than the AI by about a second and I had them set at 100

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/11/20 11:41 p.m.

A full load of fuel will only get you 21 laps at Luguna. So a one hour race will need two pit stops. 

Tires are also fun. The option tire is much faster but you can kill it in 6 laps. We could make a rule that you have to start the race on the tires you qualify on. 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
1/12/20 7:47 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

That could be an interesting rule but I would have no way to enforce it. Also I wonder if that would eliminate some strategy options for the race... especially since the AI won't play by the same rules. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/12/20 1:08 p.m.

I like the idea of 60 min races. Multiple pitstops with tires and refueling would be fun since it would make for different possible strategies.

No damage and track limits on seem like a decent compromise. Only getting 10 push to pass actuations in 60 minutes also seems interesting. Use sparingly/strategically.

Fuel depletion is either on or off...no accelerated fuel usage. Tire wear is off, on or accelerated. At least, that is how I remember it.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
1/12/20 2:05 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

Does refueling replenish the PTP?  Need to test that too. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/12/20 4:27 p.m.

I don't think it does. The Tire idea would have to be the honor system.  I don't have a problem with that. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/12/20 4:47 p.m.

I need to map a PTP button. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/12/20 4:51 p.m.

TJ are those pressures what you want to get to when running?   

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/12/20 4:52 p.m.

I do know that pressures are very important to these cars. It almost is like the more you add the less grip you get. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/14/20 9:01 a.m.
dean1484 said:

TJ are those pressures what you want to get to when running?   

Yes, but take them with a grain of salt. I found them in a forum post that lumped the Indy car tires in with the modern formula cars, so those pressures were given as sort of generic guidance for modern open wheel cars. I haven't driven the car enough to have an opinion on tire pressure vs grip yet.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?57541-Project-CARS-2-Tyre-Pressures

I'm wondering if the tire pressures end up affecting the tire temperatures enough that one could adjust tire pressure to tweak tire temperatures. Seems far fetched, but maybe that is why I overheat my tires in the Indy car....maybe my tire pressures are wrong.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PxCGZ1H4e4orGJ4SohnBmRQilykBaPNWlzohaueFRQSPZZB2GER8Itvp3NFGLzbf