2 3 4 5
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/7/17 11:47 a.m.

EVIDENCE!!!:  Kindly Ferrari driver swerves to avoid cute bunny in the road and is brutally t-boned by ruthless French car!!

cheeky

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
12/7/17 12:59 p.m.
aircooled said:

EVIDENCE!!!:  Kindly Ferrari driver swerves to avoid cute bunny in the road and is brutally t-boned by ruthless French car!!

cheeky

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
12/7/17 10:17 p.m.

Those two handed me the race on a silver plater.  I settled down and pulled out a 6 second lead, at which point I started bitching at the advice that the Stig was giving me over the radio.  This resulted in an "unforced error" proving that I can't talk and drive at the same time.  Grass + 911 = Spin.  Pulling back onto the track, the pack had caught up and I became a pinball.   Front suspension damage but still only off pace by about 2 seconds.  Still sort of in the race.  Then I got punted by a Ferrari into Canada Corner and sent off.  (Top tip for racing with the AI:  Clearly signal your intentions and make sure that you force them to go around you on the outside.  That way when there is contact, they spin, you don't.)  When coming back onto the track from this off, Brad and I decided to trade paint.  This caused me more suspension damage and massive aero damage.  My front bumper was barely hanging on.  The car would no longer pull 6th gear - down 17 mph on the straight and about 8 seconds per lap off the pace.   Now to hear Brad's story, he complains about damage to his French pastry.  His car looks perfect.  Not a scratch.  The front of his car must be made out of solid cast iron.  Flips Air, destroys my front end, not a hair out of place on his car.   I'm not kidding.  Watch the video.  Plus Air's flip is pretty spectacular.   One of these days I would like to finish a race with all the fenders still on my car.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
12/8/17 7:49 a.m.
Argo1 said:

His car looks perfect.  Not a scratch.  

I'm vain... I repaired my car twice this race. 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
12/8/17 11:38 a.m.

Replays posted.  Enjoy the three part anthology of one of our worst races.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
12/11/17 8:42 p.m.

Patch is out. 4.6gb plan ahead 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/12/17 1:46 p.m.
  • Ferrari 488 GT3 – Reduced extra slip allowance at low speeds for better stability.

Hmm, this might be my "autospin" thing.

• Improvements to various controller’s vibration effects.

Maybe Spools issue?

Sadly I see no mention of the setting saving issue.  I find it hard to believe others have not seen this.  It's pretty persistent (if you don't do the special save Brad found)

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
12/12/17 10:53 p.m.

The saving issue is fixed.  There are numerous detail fixes in this patch.  The issue that Spool was having with steering feel seems to be fixed as well.  All good so far!  Brad and I ran a session tonight to test it out.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/13/17 8:26 p.m.

My wheel was not showing up after the update.  I went into GTS and it worked.  Going back to PC, it started working again, strange.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
12/13/17 8:33 p.m.

Try reconnecting the drivehub and relaunch the game. 

My wheel did that once. It seems to matter what controller you use to “start engine”

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
12/14/17 8:51 a.m.

Last night was one of our better races.  Good battles at the front for all of us.  Good, clean racing.  It was a welcome change from the last couple races where we forgot how to drive and were hitting everything in sight.  Air and Argo were both faster than me, so I was playing for 3rd with some opportunity for upside if they were to wreck each other.  Everything was going to plan... but... life got in the way last night.  My 1 year old came home sick from daycare, and about midway through the race my wife started texted me about him (from upstairs).  I tried to read it on a straight, but wasn't quick enough and blew a brake point and cut the chicane.  Rather than pull out in front of Air, I conceded the position.  I tried to refocus, but got another text lost concentration again and hit a wall doing severe suspension damage.  Had to pit for repairs.  By the time I was out of the pits, I was in last about 20 seconds back.  I used the remaining time to just try and set a race fast lap (which I eventually did).

Anyway, that leads us to the final race of the series.  Air has a solid lead, but it's not guaranteed that he will win.  Here's some interesting scenarios:

- Brad wins, Air finishes 14th... Brad wins the series

- Brad wins, Air finishes 13th... Air and Brad tie (haven't thought about tie breakers)

- Argo (by missing the first race) has the smallest chance win overall.  If Dean/Spool/Sauce joined for the final race, Air finishes 16th and Argo wins then Air and Argo would tie.

- There is only a 3 point gap for 2nd between Brad and Argo.  Basically Argo needs to finish 4 places higher than Brad to take 2nd overall.

- If Air finishes 12th or better, he wins.

Points updated.  Replay posted.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/14/17 11:35 a.m.

Yes, interesting race.   I basically have the Ferrari set on "kill" all the time, so small mistakes can be an issue.  There is a particular technique to drive the car, and as the race goes on, I tend to loose it.  If I am smart, I will create a safer setup for the final race...

I think we need to rename Argo to Late Apex Argo.  In following him, I swear he missed the braking / turn-in on a lot of corners, but he would just go deep, rotate and blast out.  That is actually similar to the Ferrari in that it's all about getting speed out of the corners but I tried to round them out a bit more.

I don't know if you guys see my tires smoking through the corners (I see it in the rear view mirror).  The Ferrari at least, absolutely refuses to do anything but burn the front tires, so in some corners, I am just smoking the tires through them. 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
12/14/17 12:26 p.m.
aircooled said:

I don't know if you guys see my tires smoking through the corners (I see it in the rear view mirror).  The Ferrari at least, absolutely refuses to do anything but burn the front tires, so in some corners, I am just smoking the tires through them. 

That's a known issue that I guess they didn't get around to fixing yet.  It's purely cosmetic, no damage or added wear to your tires.

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
12/14/17 2:49 p.m.

If you've ever driven a 911 in anger, you know that they are really good under braking and can put down power out of a corner really well. Mid corner speed - not so much. The 911 in PC2 is modeled pretty accurately. Try to take a conventional line and it will plow like a '39 Buick. I got a nice balance for this race with the right amount of lift throttle overseer so that I could balance the car and have no understeer with full throttle on corner exit.

The tire smoke is just in the mirror view. I was smoking my rear tires enough that it looked like I was using a James Bond smoke screen on Air behind me. But he couldn't see it and it's not on the replay. No harm, no foul.

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
12/14/17 9:13 p.m.
aircooled said:  The Ferrari at least, absolutely refuses to do anything but burn the front tires, so in some corners, I am just smoking the tires through them. 

I was finally able to kill the understeer in the 911 with a front roll bar change and changing the front and rear toe settings.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/20/17 7:13 p.m.

There appears to be a rather large update 3.03, so be aware.  I don't see any info on it anywhere, so?

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
12/20/17 8:22 p.m.

56mb... installing now. Room will be up as soon as it’s done. 

Patch notes:

- PS4: reverse steering controls on player allaircooled when in multiplayer session. 

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
12/21/17 6:59 a.m.

Thanks for the invite for last night. I would say I had a good time, but that would be a lie. Those GT3 cars are diabolical and all I did was embarrass myself lol. 

However, I did enjoy the old formula cars after the GT3 race. Those were much more controllable and fun. 

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
12/21/17 10:10 a.m.

We've learned a lot with this series and the next one will have cars that are more fun to drive.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/21/17 12:13 p.m.

Yeah, I really don't understand why the GT3 cars are apparently so popular in online rooms.  They are certainly a challenge, and I appreciate that, but "fun" would not be word I would use.  I really should look at the spreadsheet Brad posted, and see what I can do to the Ferrari though.

Brad: Can you repost the link to that tuning sheet?  I can't seem to find it.  It might be a good idea to make it part of your standard Series first post.  That is what I was doing with the GT series, setup a few standard posts that I could copy and paste for a new thread.  I did a post for Series, a post for Rules (probably not needed here, but maybe change it to Tips which are very useful) and post of Results.

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
12/21/17 12:53 p.m.

I think that the level of concentration needed to stay on the track in PC2 is a lot different than in the more "arcade" GT6 or GTS.  Casual doesn't work very well.

Setup is critical. Now that I used the spreadsheet to setup the Porsche GT3, it is very fast and managable. Even so, a momentary lapse in concentration and you are off road - as I demonstrated yesterday.

Driving aids proved to be a negative. They mask the handling until it jumps out and bites you. I had mine almost turned completely off by the end of the series.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
12/21/17 1:16 p.m.

Argo really finished strong this series, had it not been for some brain fade at Road America, he may have won the series overall.  As it was, his 2 consecutive wins were enough to power him past me to take second overall.  The evil plan to invite spool to take out air, came back to bite... me specifically.  Argo had the pace and took pole comfortably.  Air, Spool, and I were within a few tenths of each other.  Spool was P2, Air was P3, I was P4 and gridded directly behind Spool.  This, as it turns out, was not a good thing.  Spool hadn't ever done a standing start before.  So, green light hits and I go, Spool sits.  I jerk the wheel to the left, but clip his rear on one side, and knock into an AI car on the other.  Took some damage to the front splitter.  It wasn't terrible, but I had to lift a little early in a couple places.  Rounded the first couple corners in P4, and made a move to get back up to P3 and set off chasing Air and Argo.  I wasn't falling away, but wasn't really catching them either.  A lap or 2 later, I caught Air dirt tracking it and was able to get by.  He was clearly faster and was filling my mirrors full of Ferrari, but was being patient or just wasn't able to position himself to make a pass and was following me around.  A few laps later we found Spool.  He had laid a trap full of tire barriers and a McLaren across the track.  I let off and tried to go inside.  I'm not sure if I didn't let off enough, or if Spool was moving forward but we hit and it caused "severe" suspension damage.  Air enjoyed the show and proceeded to drive by me as I limped back to the pits.  47 second pit stop to repair damage and my P2 was not a substantial PLast.

I knew I was much faster than the bots, and there was 21ish minutes left in the race.  With Argo threatening to win, I wanted to minimize the point damage.  I set out to catch as many cars as possible.  I came out just in front of Argo, and immediately pushed too hard and mowed some grass.  Then I settled in and ran the race I intended on running pre-Spool.  I guess Argo was carrying a bit of damage because I was running faster laps right behind him.  I thought about making a move, but decided that would be a bit rude and didn't want to chance crashing him out of the lead.  So, I just followed.  After a few laps Argo looped it into the last hairpin and I went by.  From there it was just run down as many cars as I could.  I think I got 4 of them, and was actually closing in on Air.  At the finish I was only 4 seconds back.

Anyway, congrats to Air for winning.  Congrats to Argo for back-to-back wins.  Congrats to Spool for playing along.

Now... about series 2...

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
12/21/17 1:18 p.m.
BradLTL said:

More for your reference...

A suspension calculator.  I guess the best summary here is that is makes tuning a bit more like GT.  I played with it a bit, and did see an improvement, but that just may have been the driver...

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?54023-Project-CARS-2-Suspension-Calculator-v0-96

And a diff calculator...

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?52783-Magic-inside!-Need-Help-With-Differentials&p=1367069&viewfull=1#post1367069

I should point out that these were built by the Handling QA lead at SMS, so they are semi-official

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/22/17 8:55 a.m.

Since GT6 seems all but dead I am excited to get to join you. I am hoping that things settle down after the holidays and I have the time. As it is I have not touched GT6 in a month. I did get on Wednesday night but there was no one there. I think the GT6 ship has sailed. 

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
12/22/17 9:48 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

We are ready and waiting for you Dean!  Looks like the next few weeks will be test weeks for the next series. Right now the vintage Lotus 51 formula Ford seems popular. The more contemporary formula ford, the Formula Junior, is also fun. I will miss the next two weeks as I am traveling. You guys get to figure out the next series.

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9u3h6SimgBXgsbcawg4rFy3GfRImeis0CHfDVZNB1oNRymjZuI9Gl33ldnDQ06Mk