T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/9/20 10:10 a.m.

I missed out last week for the Caterham testing, but the little I've driven them, it seems like a car that would take some getting used to, which is not a bad thing. I agree with GT3 being at the bottom of the list just because they are a bit boring/easy with their downforce, TC and ABS, but I did enjoy our last GT3 series quite a bit.

I kinda like the idea of two shorter races each week in two different classes. Is that on the table as an option? Long races are also fun, but since we end up spread out for the most part, there ends up being a lot of laps just driving around in time trial mode and not really racing all that much.

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
7/9/20 10:14 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

I fine with doing 2 sprint style races.  I usually did terrible at these in the GT days because it takes my brain too long to adjust to the second car.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/9/20 10:46 a.m.

I agree with not doing GT3 also.  Probably the least interesting cars in the game to me.  Yes, I know, I chose one last night... I was flustered (see above)... I was under pressure... I panicked.  Good way to remember why I don't like them though.

One minor consideration is doing one of the races as a vintage race, so we can play with some of the old tracks, which we haven't used.  I realize the tracks are generally very large and lacking in turns, but it might give us a chance to try them without commiting to a full night of them.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/9/20 4:45 p.m.

Vintage LeMans, Vintage Hockenhiem, Vintage Monza....those are all fairly crazy tracks from what I remember.

I'm ok with just doing one series at a time as well because I think I would have similar brain issues trying to switch back and forth as well. I'm guessing, I would end picking the one that I like the most and practicing for that one and just using the other one as a throw away.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/9/20 4:50 p.m.

How about two shorter races with the same cars? Sort of like how there will be two consecutive F1 races at Red Bull Ring, except since we are better, we have our two races on the same night.wink

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/9/20 6:23 p.m.

We could also do different versions of the same track for each race (those that have them of course).

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/9/20 6:48 p.m.

I like two short races with the same car. Maybe give a extra point for qualifying for the first race or something?  This gives a second chance to someone that gets the boot or crashes out  

We need to test the Vintage prototypes. They are a bit bonkers but lots of fun. I was running those before the M1 last night before you all showed up. They I think have lots of potential. They are very fast. They have no driving aids. Not as crazy os the GTO cars but close. They would probably be best at bigger tracks. 

Another thought would be to pick three cars and do a series with three race nights with each car so six sprint races for each car. I can see any of these cars getting a bit boring part way  in to a long series. 

As for cars in brads list the Caterham is my least favorite  followed by the formula Renault but I would prefer it to the GT3 cars.  The GT3 car felt really slow and boring and that was weird as I remember them being lots of fun in the series.  I liked the M1 and the 333sp was good fun. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/10/20 12:52 p.m.

It's that time of year again.  They are doing the HF Friends and Family discounts July 20-27th.  20% ANYTHING (including welders, higher end stuff etc, that the normal 20% coupons do not work on) and everything you buy in one purchase (not just one item).

I have at least a few I can send out.  If you want one, let me know (I already have some of your emails).

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/10/20 2:22 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

Is it a good time to stock up on jackstands?

wink

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/10/20 3:44 p.m.

Yeah, I am sure there are plenty in stock!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/10/20 4:04 p.m.

Yep I need Jack stands as well as some other tools.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/11/20 2:31 p.m.

Ok I got assetta corsica installed and running on my system and this would be a very good alternative to PC2.  The MB 190e at Bridgehampton is brilliant.  This is the closest thing to the real thing I have ever driven as a sim. Like I really felt like I was there.  The track model is 99.9 percent of the real thing.  The mb190e is also a really great car in stock form.  A series with this would be a blast.  I also think the physics model over all in AC is more realistic than PC2.

I have not messed with the tuning but it was refreshing to not see a billion differnt settings.  in reality is is what we mess with on IT and SSA cars that I raced back in the day.

Anyway I think we really should explore this more.

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
7/13/20 2:00 p.m.

Should we take a hiatus from this series?  You guys are playing with AC and ACC, I've just got F12020... ?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/14/20 6:57 a.m.

I really don't care what we race. I just like racing with everyone. I don't know enough about AC yet. So far it seems really good. A nice balance between PC2 and GT. The down side it that it is not as plug and play as the PS4. 

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
7/14/20 7:19 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I don't have a capable PC for gaming currently and have plenty of other places to spend $1000 right now.  That pretty much eliminates AC and rF2 for me for the time being.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/14/20 7:24 a.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

Same here. For me it's PS4 or nothing for the time being. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/14/20 12:26 p.m.

I will go with the flow. We can keep on keeping on with PC2. Hell we could dabble with GT if you all want to. I just need to sort out the wheel on GT.  For me GT was almost undrivable. 

Like I said it is much more about the company, DK included, laugh than the game we are actually playing no matter how much I bitch about the AI. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/14/20 12:27 p.m.

BTW. Congrats on the new gig TJ. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/14/20 1:40 p.m.

Yeah, don't worry about AC.  We are just messing around with it trying to figure it out.  As noted, not quite as "ready to go" as something on the PS.  

We might be forced into a change at some point though.  With a new PC and new GT coming out, the servers needed to run the current versions may go away.  I don't remember how long it was for the last GT, but I think it was 6 months or so after the update.  I think that was on the same system (too many versions, to many systems), so with GT at least, they might be a bit more merciful since it requires new equipment.

I don't mind if we mess around with GT either, whatever we need to do to keep it interesting.  One of the issues with PC of course is balance cars in some series.  We may want to look into how we can balance / handicap some of the cars to keep them closer (I know some cars have intake and boost restrictions settings).

And yes, I hope TJ is aware how important his high speed internet connection is in his new place.  He needs to keep is priorities straight! cheeky

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/14/20 2:31 p.m.

AC is really cool on PC.  Because of the user created content on this platform it is almost worth the cost of a PC to drive it.  The PC I am using is not what I would consider a Power house and it runs everything at hight settings with out issue.

What is really needed is to find out if AC is GPU or CPU dependent.  

My system that I built as a portable unit (5l Case) is as follows

1. CPU AMD 3700x

2. MB X570

3. RAM 16GB

4. Storage 1tb M.2

5.  GPU GTX 2060Super

I think the reality is that you could bring the CPU/MB combo spec down a lot.  Instead of a M.2 Drive a SSD would be fine and I really don't know if the GPU is in reality over kill.  If we knew what the game was primarily using (GPU versus CPU) I am wondering if a simple upgrade to an older computer would be all that is needed.  If it is GPU dependent the GTX 2060 KO seems like a really good bang for the buck GPU.  Hell maybe even a 1660 or even a decent 10 series card would be all you need.  If it is CPU dependant there are many other CPU's further down the AMD lineup that have a faster clock speed than the 3700X that just have fewer cores and most games don't take advantage of multi core anyway.  The game may even run better on a lower tear processor that has a higher base and boosted clock speed. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/14/20 10:53 p.m.

Dean, what frame rates are you getting?  I am getting around 53 at 4K and 120 at 1080.  It seems like it might be slightly less smooth at 4K.  There is a test mode where it runs through a race a Spa.

I could probably step up my video card at some point, and if I do that I will make someone a heck of a deal.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
7/14/20 11:28 p.m.

I'd love to get in on this, unfortunately I work evenings...

cmcmillin31
cmcmillin31
7/15/20 9:09 a.m.

I finally got my sim rig together and PC2 on PS4 is definitely one of my favorites.  Is this league still going on Wednesday nights? 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/15/20 11:22 a.m.

Yes, absolutely.  As you can read, we are certainly up for any suggestions.

Post your PSN name here so Brad can add you to the invite list.  He generally opens the room around 6/7/8/9 (depending on your time zone) 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/15/20 12:02 p.m.

In reply to cmcmillin31 :

Yeah, we'd love to have you join us. We are in between seasons right now settling on what we will do for the next season, so a great time to join.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rmSucHWFeyeNpUcSsrSojGJRxYUYj7AAz8LrslzUv8ITwBpBK4xiHwT0iEFo9i21