T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/25/20 11:09 a.m.

In reply to aircooled :

I thought SGT Hulka was our big toe.

Brad cannot be allowed to miss out the mess of a race he came up with. He must drive the Formula X car for 60 minutes.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/25/20 11:11 a.m.
BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
5/25/20 12:31 p.m.
e30Matt said:

That said, I'd be curious about Brad's thoughts on the contact in the chicane since he is a neutral third party who was watching.  From my perspective I left a full car width between me and the apex of the first part of the chicane and turned in late, and couldn't have done any more without completely parking it or running off track.  Then again I wasn't exactly sober, so I don't know for sure how accurate that is.  In a lobby race  (or if I was sure that my perspective was accurate) I would have continued on without a second thought, but D13 is a good and clean racer and as I wasn't confident it wasn't my fault gave him the spot back.

I was watching from the trackside camera, and at that moment it was fairly tight on the view. What it looked like was that he slowed more than you expected and you got into his rear quarter while he was turning. 

I think you acting absolutely correct in waiting. He had the line and corner, it was your contact that caused the spin. 

Plus it made for a good last couple laps while you ran him down a second time. It was impressive and fun to watch. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/25/20 7:04 p.m.

At the moment I am 50/50 for Wednesday. 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
5/25/20 7:13 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

No, you've got that wrong... You are 151

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/26/20 11:05 a.m.

Do you guys have port forwarding turned on for your PS4 and if so what ports?

I've been having an issue for the past several months when I go online on Wednesday nights it messes up my home wifi signal. My PS4 is hardwired to my router. Doesn't seem to be a bandwidth issue. I'm guessing its a router issue of some sort, but it didn't used to do it and when it started doing it, I hadn't made any changes to anything. Now I spend the entire Wed night session trying to answer texts about why Netflix stopped working. Trying to figure it out. Wondering if it is something with my port forwarding.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
5/26/20 12:31 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

I can look later.  My system is set up to what ever the default is.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/26/20 3:11 p.m.

Sony says to port forward these ports if a firewall or some other issue is giving you connectivity issues:

• TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480
  • UDP: 3478, 3479

They also say, that different games may use additional ports.

This page says PC2 uses these ports:

Project CARS 2 - Playstation 4

• TCP: 1935,3478-3480
  • UDP: 3074,3478-3479

Back in the day with PS3 and GT5, I configured port forwarding to get from NAT 3 to NAT 2. When I moved to the PS4, I just set up port forwarding without bothering to try it without. It may have nothing to do with my wifi issue and may not even be needed. Which made me wonder if you guys do it or not.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
5/26/20 3:16 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

It's the UDP signal noise. My WiFi kept cutting out too. Texts from wife too (photo for proof).  Once I turned it off, life has been better. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/26/20 3:25 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

Aha. That makes sense. I guess I'll turn it off and just not capture the data with RS Dash and see how that works out.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/26/20 4:38 p.m.

I changed the UDP freq from 1 to 5 in the game settings and that may have fixed my issue. We'll see tomorrow night. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/26/20 5:51 p.m.
BradLTL said:

In reply to T.J. :

It's the UDP signal noise. My WiFi kept cutting out too. Texts from wife too (photo for proof).  Once I turned it off, life has been better. 

You turned off texts from your wife!  Wow, that is bold!

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
5/26/20 6:47 p.m.
aircooled said:
BradLTL said:

In reply to T.J. :

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
5/26/20 7:22 p.m.
T.J. said:

In reply to BradLTL :

Aha. That makes sense. I guess I'll turn it off and just not capture the data with RS Dash and see how that works out.

You can also try changing the channel/port. That may help as well. 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
5/26/20 7:25 p.m.
aircooled said:
BradLTL said:

In reply to T.J. :

It may not work as well for you, your rig is in eyesight. I'm on a different floor and she obviously has no desire to walk down the stairs to talk to me... let alone make me drinks on a schedule. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/26/20 9:58 p.m.

Felt like cheating, but I ran almost a full practice race against some AIs. Had to quit with 7 mins to go because the dog was outside and started barking. Changing UDP frequency may have fixed it, but there were no other human drivers so not a great test, but it was an online room. 

AIs cheat and sometimes blow past me on the straight while I was at terminal velocity eventhough setups were fixed. They could sometimes get an extra 10 mph or so going into T1, bit overall they were slowish even at 105/100. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/27/20 11:09 a.m.

Ok, I did a bit of experimenting concerning the UDP frequency. I had it set at 1, which turns out to broadcast about 55 packets a second. Moving it to 5 lowered it down to more like 30 packets a second. At 9, the slowest setting, it drops off to more like 1.5 packets per second. 

Essentially, with UDP freq set at 1, the game is pretty much doing a denial of service attack on your network. Doesn't seem to bother the more capable devices, but dumber things like firesticks or smart TVs get overwhelmed with the flood of data and stop working. 

Brad, you may be able to turn UDP back on if you slow down the UDP freq. 

SMS was a bit lazy and made their API as generic as possible, so instead of the game sending the telemetry data to whatever device is running the RS Dash app, it just broadcasts all the data to every device on your network. Makes setting up the app easier, but seems to stress out the weak links in my network. It is why you don't have to enter any details in the game or the PS4 settings to tell it which device to send the data to.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/27/20 10:56 p.m.

I drove most of the race just trying to keep P2 since I had the 20 sec penalty and wasn't thinking P1 was possible. Was surprised by Sauce's 2nd stop. 

I wish I had my finish on replay since I got such good hangtime. My engine cover must've gone up like a Space X launch based on how long it took to come back down. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
5/27/20 11:24 p.m.

In reply to T.J. :

My fuel calculation was WAY off and that was my undoing.  I had 2 strategies set up, one to go to hards and do a one stop and one for a 2 stop with softs both times.  I knew the 1 stop would be faster, but I took my pit cue from you.  I didn't think I could get enough fuel with a stop when you made yours and make it to the end so I moved to the 2 stop strategy.  I ended up using almost 20L less than I calculated, apparently I'm an idiot and mistyped the fuel usage from 2.25L per lap to 2.5L when running the numbers, and with a healthy buffer built in was just way off.  I realized with almost 20 minutes left that the tires were fine and I didn't need another pit, but also knew I didn't have enough fuel to go the distance and had no choice.  At that point the race was over, with the pit delta such as it is at Fuji I was going to be way behind unless you made some epic mistakes which didn't happen.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/27/20 11:38 p.m.

I figured I could pit after 15 minutes or so and  then make it to the end on fuel. I stayed out a lap or two longer to make sure. I could run similar lap times on hards, but the wear was much better. Also, was able to get tire pressures lower after the stop, but I didn't get them exactly right.

I think I ended up pitting on lap 14-15 or so and added 55L. Finished with a couple liters left, so it was close. I could've done 1 more lap.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/28/20 5:40 p.m.

FYI, unlike the LMP1 RWD car, Formula X does not automatically deploy KERS. Map a button for it as it makes a several second per lap difference. Not quite sure yet where to use it, but it can be used quite a bit each lap. So, like voting, do it early and often. 

I'm good with doing Formula X practice this week or anything else really. I did a few test laps and can run off the soft tires in 5 laps or so. Hopefully, getting smoother can make them last longer since the race should end up over 40 laps.

Here is the data I have so far:

• Start with 89L of fuel
  • Use about 3.75 L/lap
  • Tank holds 151 L
  • Hard tires can turn similar laptimes as the softs with less wear, but I tend to overheat the rears from sliding. Not sure yet how long they last.

Based on fuel. the first stint could be as long as 23 laps. Based on tire wear and creating enough room in the tank for added fuel, first sting could be as short as 5 laps.

Cars are fast, but not all that hard to drive after a few laps. If you rear end a car in a braking zone, they can go airborne fairly easily, so running close is interesting considering the time you could lose if you wait for your victim to recover.

EDIT: The balance of the car changes quite a bit based on fuel load. The race start fuel load difference is notable. If you fill the tank up, even more so. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/3/20 6:12 p.m.

So are we racing tonight or is it getting kicked a week later

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
6/3/20 6:23 p.m.

I'm in the mountains, so I'm not racing.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
6/3/20 6:36 p.m.
aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/3/20 6:52 p.m.

And for PS4!  Surprising.

It looks like it's going to lean a bit more "game" this time.  Hopefully it keeps what it has and doesn't require unlocking stuff for non-career mode.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/project-cars-3-announced-arrives-this-summer.394232/

I am available to mess around if we want to do that.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8jegoob81wXALEnPfjedHlv5MBXVr6kazwGEL2kDRHmPZnOY1pZRiaIt0EIpP8ss