BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
2/17/18 8:28 a.m.

Patch downloaded last night. I’ve got to do taxes, but will check it out a bit this morning. 

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
2/17/18 9:15 a.m.

From the patch notes

Formula R: revised tyres, engine braking, and damper setup for better stability and easier driveability. Revised Stable setups. Adjusted FFB for changes to tyres. Fixed rain tyre being faster than the slick.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
2/17/18 10:29 a.m.
BradLTL said:

From the patch notes

Formula R: revised tyres, engine braking, and damper setup for better stability and easier driveability. Revised Stable setups. Adjusted FFB for changes to tyres. Fixed rain tyre being faster than the slick.

It does appear that slick tires have been changed.  In the exact same setup, I dropped a second off my laptime and the slides were more predictable and catchable.  I was able to take both T1 and T2 basically flat (slight lift and downshift before T2, but far faster than I was in any other session.  I was also carrying more speed through the gooseneck section, I was bouncing the limiter and using a higher gear coming down the hill.

The downside was that it wanted to break away more in the esses, so I gave back a little time there.  Net result was a faster lap.

It feels like they changed the way the tires deal with progressive / long corners, but made them more sensitive to change of direction.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
2/17/18 11:27 a.m.

Since Sauce was kind and shared his setup, I'll share mine.  I'm guessing there is significant differences in drive style (you should probably go with Sauce's) based on the setup.

I like a very stable setup.  I prefer more of a neutral setup, especially to mid-corner, I'd prefer any oversteer to be on-throttle during corner exit and track out.  I'm a slow in, fast out driver.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
2/17/18 1:05 p.m.

I'm easily in the 34s at Oulton Park.  Tire model changes the driving on this track completely.  I really feel like I can throw the car through the corners now.  I'm taking T1 (Old Hill) in 3rd, I can take Cascades flat in 4th, really throw it through the chicane, Druids is 3rd with a bit of a drift, and you can drift through Lodge, but I've found it better to modulate the throttle just a bit and power as soon as you are straight.

Clean 34.9 @ OP

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
2/17/18 1:15 p.m.

Just to clarify, the above map is not OP Island that we are racing.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
2/17/18 1:25 p.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

Yes, that map shows all configurations. The Island config you turn at Island Bend. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/17/18 5:02 p.m.

Interesting track. Took some laps using the controller just to see the place. Very narrow. More narrow than last week???  

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
2/17/18 6:16 p.m.

This season has just seemed like practice sessions.  Dealing with various connection issues.  New drivers joining.  Now physics and tire changes.  AI getting fixed, etc.   I would be in favor of  either hitting reset on this season or keeping these "new" Formula Rookie cars for season 3.  BUT using real tracks like Sonoma or Laguna Seca... tracks with enough width to allow racing.  With the updates, these cars are a lot more fun and manageable.

BradLTL
BradLTL SuperDork
2/17/18 6:31 p.m.

In reply to Argo1 :

I wouldn’t be in favor of either. Nothing wrong with the cars, but we have tons of cars and tracks to play with, I don’t want to get stuck on anything. 

We can open a series 3 discussion thread, but I’m working up a multi-class series next. Planning to steal air’s idea: you have to run 1 class for the first half of the series, and the switch to the other class for the second half. 

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
2/17/18 7:10 p.m.

In reply to BradLTL :

That will certainly reduce the amount of human wheel to wheel racing. The concept is interesting though.

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
2/17/18 10:33 p.m.

I ran some more laps tonight and am starting to come to grips with the physics changes.  I tried tweaking my posted setup a bunch of different ways but couldn't get the car to do what I wanted.  I eventually gave up on the subtle approach and just made a few big changes and lucked into a setup that works well for me, but I'm not sure if it'll work for anyone else.  I got into the low 33's but I'm sure 32's are possible with some more practice and tweaking.

Brad, I tried your setup and found it to be very quick, easy to drive and easy to save.  For me it gives up a bit of pace to my current tune, but it's also a lot less risky and easier to be consistent.  I think most people will find it easier to drive as it is quite stable and more forgiving to abrupt inputs.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/18/18 9:46 p.m.
Argo1 said:

This season has just seemed like practice sessions.  Dealing with various connection issues.  New drivers joining.  Now physics and tire changes.  AI getting fixed, etc.   I would be in favor of  either hitting reset on this season or keeping these "new" Formula Rookie cars for season 3.  BUT using real tracks like Sonoma or Laguna Seca... tracks with enough width to allow racing.  With the updates, these cars are a lot more fun and manageable.

Completely agree with your track comments. Race on wider tracks and on tracks we all know.  We can actually race each other or the AI and worry less about what direction the track is going as we come over the next hill. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
2/18/18 10:42 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I do agree that having wider tracks that are easier to pass on would be nice, but personally I'm only familiar with maybe 20% of the possible track configurations so I'm learning the tracks as we go regardless.  I pretty much chalk it up to learning the game: even if you know where the track goes, with different cars, physics, and tuning it's going to be mostly new anyway.  Knowing where the course goes will get you up to speed faster, but that's about it.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/19/18 8:12 p.m.

Ok testing after about 30 laps and tweaking things I can run a 38 flat pretty consistently. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/19/18 8:12 p.m.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/19/18 8:13 p.m.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/19/18 8:13 p.m.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/19/18 8:15 p.m.

This is a trail braking setup that you then can set The car in to slide and hold the power down while maintaining the slip angle through a turn.  Turn one is quite fun. 

e30Matt
e30Matt Dork
2/19/18 8:24 p.m.

Dean, I see the ride heights are equalized, but even so a rearward brake bias like that seems odd.  

Edit: I just noticed your reasoning.  To each their own, but these cars don't really like slides.  Depending on how much slip angle you're getting you may be past the tire's prime.

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
2/19/18 9:57 p.m.

Lots of very different setups.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/20/18 8:23 a.m.

I decided to try and drive these things like the old formula cars on biast ply tires. Before the current day definition of drifting we had our own way of drifting cars and it was fast. A bit crazy by today’s standards of racing. I set this car up to do that. Makes it lots of fun to drive but it is a different style.

Argo you know what I am trying to explain yes?  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/20/18 8:27 a.m.

The rearward bias is to keep this thing from plowing off in corner entery.  It takes a carful foot but let’s me save a car if I over cook a corner entry. 

Argo1
Argo1 SuperDork
2/20/18 2:38 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I know where you're coming from but I have found that sideways is slow with these cars. They like a gentle hand and keeping neat and tidy. Even a small wiggle is lost time.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/20/18 6:48 p.m.

I am hoping to be on around 8:45 or so tonight. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xOriqzpiux3W0D1uLNPwt4jSTp6KxnYOhk1RyyKpkSERH8ePtcdasmvTQGAyjERk